Boarding refused? Hypothetical question.

sandancer

55 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

As is mine. And the poster did clarify their post to the fact that the idea was to bring your temp down a degree to account for a stress related increase as opposed to being sick. Someone else posted about using a cold compress on their face/wrists before getting tested which is the same idea. 

False high temperatures can certainly occur and that should not preclude you from engaging in something you would like to do. Prior to 6 months ago, feeling healthy was generally good enough. Not really a reason now for that not still be good enough. 

Alright, not going to try to convince you of my PoV.

19 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Alright, not going to try to convince you of my PoV.

I suspect we actually agree. If you wake up on the morning of the cruise with headache, coughing, feeling feverish, etc - then taking tylenol so you can get by with getting onboard is wrong. If you wake up in the morning and feel fine, have your breakfast, workout, feel completely healthy but know because of you recent history with getting your temperature taken regularly that you are prone to having a higher temperature and it's a hot day out and you know you will be walking 1/2 a mile from your car to the terminal with luggage, taking a tylenol in that situation to avoid having to risk going to the secondary screening (where the people who actually are sick will be congregating), is a different scenario. Now, I'm not saying you would do that. Just if someone did, I wouldn't have a problem with it. 

on a similar note I also wouldn’t have a problem with the person finding a cool spot to sit for 20 minutes and eat a popsicle after schlepping kids and luggage from their car to the cruise terminal. 

Edited by sanger727

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Prior to 6 months ago, feeling healthy was generally good enough. Not really a reason now for that not still be good enough. 

Except for the fact that you could be asymptomatic,  and possibly spreading the virus to those you are near. I doubt that anyone would be denied by a single noncontact temperature scan. That's what secondary assessment is designed for. So no- taking that Tylenol just to get around the scan issue is just wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, mom says said:

Except for the fact that you could be asymptomatic,  and possibly spreading the virus to those you are near. I doubt that anyone would be denied by a single noncontact temperature scan. That's what secondary assessment is designed for. So no- taking that Tylenol just to get around the scan issue is just wrong.

if you are asymptomatic you won't have a fever. So temperature checks won't help either way....

• Like 1

I really think people are taking the temperature thing too far as an indicator. A temperature reading is good for if you have a cough and sore throat to catch that you actually do have a virus as opposed to allergies. Or if you have diarrhea and vomiting for catching a virus as opposed to something that just disagreed with your system.  It's not good for if I wake up in the morning and my temperature is normal, I go for a 5 miles run in the hot sun and my temperature is elevated to just over 100, and later that evening after I've cooled off and my temperature is normal again. The fact that my temperature was temporarily elevated in the absence of any other symptoms does not mean that I have a virus. Temperatures go up and down throughout the day for many reasons; 1-2 degrees is perfectly normal. Some people run cold and a normal temperature for them is in the mid 96s, so 99.8 would most likely be indicative of a fever for them. But that's not the 100.4 so it wouldn't get flagged. Whereas, for someone who runs hot (I do) where high 98s is normal; 100.4 isn't necessarily indicative of a fever. I think the most important thing is for you to know yourself, know what is and isn't normal for you, and be honest about that. But I also don't think you should be forced to miss out on something that you have paid alot of money to do because you do normally run hot and it's a hot day out or because you have a thyroid condition, or because you have hormone issues, etc. I would hope the secondary screening will take all that into account. But not every opportunity offers a secondary screening, the cruise is only one example. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

Staying hydrated lowers the body temperature also.  Is that circumventing the rules ? I should say “fake rules” since nowhere does it say or will say that this is disallowed.  Should people be banned from taking Tylenol and drinking water before boarding ? Heck sending people over to cold AC rooms to lower temp is not much different.  This is one of the worst arguments I have seen and there are definitely some radical minds who have little understanding of how the human body works. There are also some who have a basic unawareness of how simple medications work. A Tylenol might lower the body 1 degree, not 5 degrees. A Tylenol is not a magic Covid suppressant. There are a myriad of underlying issues that cause a slight rise in body temp from cancer to ear infections to lupus to IBD to just plain stress and anxiety. etc.  None of these pose a risk for anyone else and the person could be perfectly healthy otherwise . I guess these people should risk being barred from embarking on their vacation because their temp might barely exceed the threshold. Finally do you know how many asymptotic people carrying the actual virus will pass a temp screening with no problem ? Until there is a rapid Covid test before boarding , I will absolutely do what I need to do as a healthy individual to ensure I am not erroneously denied boarding a cruise because of a rise in body temp. People opposed to healthy people taking an over the counter medicine before boarding are the reason we may not have cruising any time soon. 

Edited by XuGator

It's the people worried that someone might be trying to hide symptoms of illness during a pandemic who are the real scourge!  Who cares if we're about to head to sea in a closed environment?  Nothing bad could happen!

People who don't think they have to follow the rules always have an excuse as to why something doesn't apply to them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

It's the people worried that someone might be trying to hide symptoms of illness during a pandemic who are the real scourge!  Who cares if we're about to head to sea in a closed environment?  Nothing bad could happen!

People who don't think they have to follow the rules always have an excuse as to why something doesn't apply to them. 

Stop making things up.  It’s not a “rule”. It’s also been reiterated over and over that the example is for healthy people.  Not those masking an illness. 

I will laugh when the opponents of Tylenol get denied boarding as a healthy individual because they are .01 over the limit. 

Edited by XuGator

2 hours ago, XuGator said:

There are also some who have a basic unawareness of how simple medications work. A Tylenol might lower the body 1 degree, not 5 degrees

One could try rubbing a little Bio-Freeze on their forehead  too,  that stuff works pretty good and gets really cold.

..and it comes in travel packs too.

Edited by JRG

11 minutes ago, JRG said:

One could try rubbing a little Bio-Freeze on their forehead  too,  that stuff works pretty good and gets really cold.

..and it comes in travel packs too.

The logic of some people is truly astounding.  If the weight limit on the cruise ship water slide is 230 pounds and I weigh 231 in the morning but skip all of my meals that day and weigh 229 before I step on the waterside scale - is that “breaking the rules” also? Am I’m putting other people at risk by doing so because I took the necessary steps to lower my weight before the weigh in ? It’s called being smart and being prepared.  

To each his own though.  I really hope that the 25 dollar Walmart thermometer being administered gives the cruise line an accurate reading of your body temperature.  God forbid there be any deviation and someone reads higher than it truly is.  

It’s amazing that so many people are perfectly ok with putting their cruising fate into a thermometer.  Apparently it’s the magical Covid detector.  Maybe people live near the port and go on cheap cruises. I am not flying halfway around the world for an expensive cruise to be denied boarding because of an elevated temp.

It will be Tylenol every time until they have an actual Covid test. 

I suspect they WILL have a covid test.   Nobody has indicated that temperature screen will be used to deny boarding.  Everything I've seen says it will be used to identify people for secondary screening by ships medical staff.  I've not seen a description of that but I would hope that they will have access to the 15 minute covid test onboard or at least in the terminal.

• Like 1