EU Releases Health Guidelines for Cruises

seaoma

On 7/9/2020 at 10:01 AM, KirkNC said:

This has been out for a few days, I am surprised there has not been more discussions so far.  Several non-starters for us, #1 being cruise length limited to 3-7 days.

Yep, thats a deal breaker for us too, as we prefer long cruises too. 

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Aida Cruises (part of Carnival Corp) are to recommence cruises in August.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/carnival-to-restart-sailing-operations-in-august-with-3-aida-cruises-2020-07-09

I don't believe they mentioned the length of these cruises, did they?  That would be interesting to find out.

These cruises are clearly geared to a European customers.  Of course it makes no sense for someone from NA to book, notwithstanding the ban on US citizens entering the EU.  Europeans may view these cruises in a different light.

The UK is no longer a member of the Union so the implemenation of any recommendations wouldnt be directly applied to Britons. That said, there is much in these recommendations that I would agree with. In fact, if ships do not practice social distancing and mask wearing, as hotels in an increasing number of our neighbour countries now require, then we won't be cruising at all. These are just commonsense public safety measures which we are increasingly learning to live with.

Not that this will be a consideration any time soon, as the government has just changed its travel advice about cruises. It now advises against all cruise travel - previously the advice was only directed to people aged 70+ (which would shortly apply to me in any event).

6 minutes ago, Harters said:

The UK is no longer a member of the Union so the implemenation of any recommendations wouldnt be directly applied to Britons. That said, there is much in these recommendations that I would agree with. In fact, if ships do not practice social distancing and mask wearing, as hotels in an increasing number of our neighbour countries now require, then we won't be cruising at all. These are just commonsense public safety measures which we are increasingly learning to live with.

Not that this will be a consideration any time soon, as the government has just changed its travel advice about cruises. It now advises against all cruise travel - previously the advice was only directed to people aged 70+ (which would shortly apply to me in any event).

Not correct.

The UK has to comply with  all EU regulations until 31/12/2020 at least.

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Thank you for the correction. In this respect, it's an academic matter as there is little possibiity of any implementation before our disastrous departure from the Union.

Why disastrous? Majority thinks the opposite.

3 hours ago, Despegue said:

Not correct.

The UK has to comply with  all EU regulations until 31/12/2020 at least.

IS the EU Travel ban a regulation? US Citizens can enter the UK, but must isolate for 14 days, but are prohibited from entering the EU. 

Edited by drowelf

49 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Hopefully they won't..

They have no choice Sir Pimp. Unlike some other administrations, the UK does honour signed treaties and agreements and is a respected partner as a result. The EU and UK might seperate, but with mutual respect towards eachother.

55 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Why disastrous? Majority thinks the opposite.

This is a travel forum not a politics one which means any detailed reply would be very off-topic. So, let me answer as briefly as possible. The majority did indeed think otherwise which is why we have left the EU. I was not amongst the majority - and very proud to have been one of the 48%. You'll be able to find pro-EU arguments for yourself by a quick Google. Look beyond the purely economic for the things that the UK has lost.