The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

33 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I don’t know how you arranged such a magical day to open the patio, but the weather is sheer perfection today.  Truly fitting of the Chez.

Vince

And up here in the "Un-Frozen North", the pool is open, and while we did not BBQ this evening, we will tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, and ......... 😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And at the risk of having this post "bounced" to the River Cruise thread, I watched a webinar for Riverside Holidays earlier this week. They purchased all five of the Old Crystal ships, and while they are only operating the Mozart and Debussy now, they plan to bring all five back under their brand in the next three years. For those who sailed Crystal River, they have changed nothing, and I mean that in a good way!!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Roland4 said:

And at the risk of having this post "bounced" to the River Cruise thread, I watched a webinar for Riverside Holidays earlier this week. They purchased all five of the Old Crystal ships, and while they are only operating the Mozart and Debussy now, they plan to bring all five back under their brand in the next three years. For those who sailed Crystal River, they have changed nothing, and I mean that in a good way!!

The good news is this thread is supposed to be about just about anything.

Yes and a few of the people who are part of Riverside came from Crystal including a former Hotel Director at Crystal who we adored and even the Captain of Mozart.  And you are right they changed nothing and that is good.

We would like to sail Mozart again hoping we can tie it together with a Crystal Cruise in Europe.

Keith

• Like 5

Today's sunrise is the last from my 2013 Blount cruise from New Orleans to St. Petersburg.  On June 1 the Silver Meteor was probably in Northern Virginia when the sun rose.

dawn0601.jpg

Roy

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Hello, please note that Uniworld is operating 2 of those 5 ships for a couple of years. Uniworld renamed them S.S. Victoria and S.S. Elizabeth.  If you want to enjoy it this summer the S.S. Victoria is cruising the Rhine and the Mozelle.  Enjoy it!

https://www.uniworld.com/ca/ships/ss-victoria

https://www.uniworld.com/ca/ships/ss-elisabeth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruise_loverinlaval said:

Hello, please note that Uniworld is operating 2 of those 5 ships for a couple of years. Uniworld renamed them S.S. Victoria and S.S. Elizabeth.  If you want to enjoy it this summer the S.S. Victoria is cruising the Rhine and the Mozelle.  Enjoy it!

https://www.uniworld.com/ca/ships/ss-victoria

https://www.uniworld.com/ca/ships/ss-elisabeth

I was aware of that, and halfway expected to see the furnishings converted to French Provincial, which Uniworld seems to love. Thankfully from the pictures, it looks like they changed nothing as well. Thanks for the links.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

PSA:

The patio is open for the season at the Chez.

And since it is Friday, yes, it's Burger night in America! (and wherever else you may be.)

Also, it was a great day to take the physical copy of the newspaper.

14 hours ago, TheKingD said:

It is sheer perfection in North Carolina too, on the

patio sitting in the pergola.  We had ribs and corn on the cob tonight and we will have lobster claws tomorrow night.  Maybe Key Lime Pie too.  No cicadas providing their chorus yet, though, but hummingbirds are here.

Chiming in here to assert the Left Coast had supreme weather as well yesterday. Can’t give you East Coasters a leg up on us. We dined Al fresco at a great wine and small plates bistro that even the Chez’s discriminating Chef would most likely approve. The watermelon gazpacho was 😋😋😋

I wonder if the Hitchcock foundation is filming a sequel to The Bird’s with all your circling hawks @BWIVince ? 🤔🤷‍♂️

• Like 6

18 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

PSA:

The patio is open for the season at the Chez.

And since it is Friday, yes, it's Burger night in America! (and wherever else you may be.)

Also, it was a great day to take the physical copy of the newspaper.

My son reported that he went to the site of the old Newseum, and he accessed many front pages. I believe he said they had 400 of them, perhaps even 600. 

Burger night for us is Monday, so we’re not totally in synch.

• Like 5

Off cruise topic.

I have three favorite NBA teams: Celtics since I followed the NBA starting in the 1960's. Mavericks since we lived in North Texas. Golden State since Steve Kerr became coach.  With the Celtics and Mavericks in the Championship I will be happy whoever wins.  

Now if you think a cruise costs too much try getting tickets for some of those games and how much you will spend on food and beverages.

I know. We have to support the athletes who make millions annually because they need our help so they can purchase $5,000.00 suits that a few wear only one time. Life is tough for some people.  😃

Keith 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I actually have no photos from June 2.  This is sunset, June 1, 2015, from the MS Prinsendam.  On June 1 we visited Copenhagen and June 2 was a sea day enroute to Ijmuiden, Netherlands:

dusk0601.jpg

Roy

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Today a champagne brunch at a Ritz Carlton with the music “What a wonderful World”. It reminded us how the brunch at the old Crystal used to be…

Very nice, Ivi. Thank you for posting. I'm guessing that this feast was held in a non-US property, or a special/private function. Too many guests handling food with their hands, no serving utensils, no sneeze guards. Would never pass US health regulators.

Appreciate the thought. It is a nice spread, none-the-less.

Rob

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Very nice, Ivi. Thank you for posting. I'm guessing that this feast was held in a non-US property, or a special/private function. Too many guests handling food with their hands, no serving utensils, no sneeze guards. Would never pass US health regulators.

Appreciate the thought. It is a nice spread, none-the-less.

Rob

The Ritz Carlton in Berlin Rob. One of the reasons I hate buffets is because money does not guarantee manieres. While my husband, me and our friends were very careful about this, there is always someone who uses his/her hands for serving themselves. This is why I am not able to find the Market Place at Crystal ships to my liking.  Fortunately today, the guy you see in the picture was serving himself oysters. No big problem for others. And Germans are as strict probably as US Americans. Being Ritz Carlton, it hat a nice British touch. The oysters were excellent by the way and the champagne Louis Roederer.🍾

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 3

On 5/31/2024 at 9:04 PM, TheKingD said:

It is sheer perfection in North Carolina too, on the

patio sitting in the pergola.  We had ribs and corn on the cob tonight and we will have lobster claws tomorrow night.  Maybe Key Lime Pie too.  No cicadas providing their chorus yet, though, but hummingbirds are here.

Yummy, but up here the ribs are served KC style(just monitor your blood sugar.)  And Key Lime, not Chess pie?  Hmmm...😁

Anyway, biscuits and gravy for breakfast tomorrow(it's the most important meal of the day!).  Gotta keep the Mizzou gal happy,

• Like 4

9 hours ago, West Coast Strut said:

I don't think you can retire from cruising. You retire to cruising!

Aren't there some less stressful options?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I was able to cruise quite a bit even  while working, and then had over 20 years of very frequent cruising, but now find it difficult to fine even a week without a planned Doctor visit sometime.

Roy

• Like 5

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I was able to cruise quite a bit even  while working, and then had over 20 years of very frequent cruising, but now find it difficult to fine even a week without a planned Doctor visit sometime.

Roy

Take your doctor with you!

These look nice, 

https://www.americancruiselines.com/cruises/southeast-us-cruises/chesapeake-bay-cruise

Not very exotic, but easy-peasy.

• Like 2

Today's sunrise is from mu 2016 cruise on Anthem of the Seas.  June 9 was a sea day from Royal's private destination of Labadee, Haiti back to Bayonne:

dawn0609.jpg

Roy

• Like 6