Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes it says refundable. And yes I get there from what google says is their website. Theres a pop up I cant get to on my other browser where I have to accept cookies. It looks like they have wifi and airport shuttle and continental but filling breakfast per a review. I'm still looking and it doesnt really say what kind of room it is. I dont need 4 days, I'm just guessing. 

Well, the room is tiny. It says 8 sq.meters which is 86 sq. ft.

I don't see the shuttle mentioned, but hotels in Rome, especially 3-star hotels, do not have shuttles. They will book you a limo or taxi that you have to pay for. It will be around 50 euros.

It also doesn't mention if the room has its own bathroom. 

Go to the hotel website and look at pictures and descriptions of their various rooms. Look for a single measuring 8 sq. meters and see if you want to book it.

By the way, four nights in Rome will let you see the main sites. That is a reasonable length of time for your first trip. 

For the cookies in the other browser,  go into "details" or something like that and select only "essential" cookies. The EU requires all website to offer the choice. 

Edited by marazul

5 minutes ago, marazul said:

Well, the room is tiny. It says 8 sq.meters which is 86 sq. ft.

I don't see the shuttle mentioned, but hotels in Rome, especially 3-star hotels, do not have shuttles. They will book you a limo or taxi that you have to pay for. It will be around 50 euros.

It also doesn't mention if the room has its own bathroom. 

Go to the hotel website and look at pictures and descriptions of their various rooms. Look for a single measuring 8 sq. meters and see if you want to book it.

By the way, four nights in Rome will let you see the main sites. That is a reasonable length of time for your first trip. 

For the cookies in the other browser,  go into "details" or something like that and select only "essential" cookies. The EU requires all website to offer the choice. 

Ok what I read was it had a nice bathroom or words to that effect. I just closed the description I finally pulled up. I'll keep looking, at least that is refundable. 

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ok what I read was it had a nice bathroom or words to that effect. I just closed the description I finally pulled up. I'll keep looking, at least that is refundable. 

Nice in a 10.5 x 8 ft room? Clean, yes. Ample, not. 

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Yes, you do need to manage expectations with regards to room size in the historic center. Most hotel rooms are small. No getting around it.

Hotels like Smeraldo only have a limited number of rooms. As marazul suggests, I'd try to figure out some dates fairly soon and book a room (or rooms) you like at the cancellable rate. You can always cancel later, but once the rooms are booked, they're booked.

On 3/29/2024 at 9:57 PM, marazul said:

Nice in a 10.5 x 8 ft room? Clean, yes. Ample, not. 

Ok they said elegant bathroom. I translated that they said nice. ..but for sure it states they have a bathroom. I'm still reading reviews and deciding. .. but hotel says elegant bathroom.

"They have a surface area of 8 square meters, and have an elegant bathroom with shower."

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Ok they said elegant bathroom. I translated that they said nice. ..but for sure it states they have a bathroom. I'm still reading reviews and deciding. .. but hotel says elegant bathroom.

"They have a surface area of 8 square meters, and have an elegant bathroom with shower."

I noticed the hotel I will be staying at said tub or shower so I had to send an email asking for a room with a shower. They responded that they would make sure I had a room with shower. 

• Like 1

I booked 3 group cruises with canadian $$$. I see my visa card charged me $11.74 on each of the 3 deposits. So obviously it will charge me a fee to charge in euros. Or I need a new credit card. Never did it before but my TA didnt have any usa groups left for this oct, only canadian. So he put thru the 3 deposits in canadian dollars. So now I know. Something else to look into, maybe a new travel credit card. (My TA is canadian). So now I know yep there is a fee for foreign currency charges, each one.

Just happened to look it up. That hotel for solo at 550 euros will also charge a extra transaction fee. Or I have to book the hotel and pay now and bring lots of euros with me.  I'm not even that picky about a hotel. .. but a fee every time i charge will get old. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

So now I know. Something else to look into, maybe a new travel credit card.

Living in the US and dealing with a Canadian TA opens up a whole new set of issues apparently.

My suggestion would be to obtain a credit card that does not charge international transaction fees such as the Citi Costco card which is free...there are other free and paid credit cards.

Also, consider a Schwab debit card for free ATM withdrawals worldwide.  It's the best way to obtain foreign currency.  Any fees incurred are reimbursed to your account at the end of the month.  Can't say enough good things about Schwab. 

Some of the fees aren't foreign transaction fees but the fee the credit card companies routinely charge the seller which are now being passed onto the customer.   Very frustrating.  When a charity passes the fee, while I'm not thrilled but I deal with it.  It's the other businesses who pass the fees along that annoy me.

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

Living in the US and dealing with a Canadian TA opens up a whole new set of issues apparently.

My suggestion would be to obtain a credit card that does not charge international transaction fees such as the Citi Costco card which is free...there are other free and paid credit cards.

Also, consider a Schwab debit card for free ATM withdrawals worldwide.  It's the best way to obtain foreign currency.  Any fees incurred are reimbursed to your account at the end of the month.  Can't say enough good things about Schwab. 

I'm with chase so I'll stick with them.

This is the first time this ever happened as I said. All my others are booked in usa dollars. This one time he didnt have group prices left in usa dollars. I didnt even know he had canadian group rates and I've been dealing with him for years. It was such substantial savings I said thanks and booked in Canadian dollars. It would have cost 75% more booking the amount on rcl web site.

My TA to spain and the next 10 day leg are booked in american dollars. Just this add on where I added 3 legs to this oct he said his american groups sold out. Now I know. I have time before next may to ask chase about a card with no transaction fees. I used to have a rcl card I closed. I'll bet it doesnt have these fees.

I read here on this forum to book direct. Has someone actually had trouble booking the hotel thru a 3rd party or just saying be careful just in case. Priceline I can bundle the flight and hotel. 

Edited by firefly333

Posted (edited)

When paying deposits and making purchases by credit card in a foreign country always pay in that country’s currency.  Many offer the choice to pay in your own currency or theirs.  You will incur an extra conversion fee on top of the foreign transaction fee (if applicable).

Edited by Gourmet Gal
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 9:25 AM, Gourmet Gal said:

When paying deposits and making purchases by credit card in a foreign country always pay in that country’s currency.  Many offer the choice to pay in your own currency or theirs.  You will incur an extra conversion fee on top of the foreign transaction fee (if applicable).

If you are in the foreign country, always charge in the country's currency. 

If you are making internet purchases from home, you might have the choice of charging in your own currency or in the local currency.  If so, go to a website such as https://www.xe.com/ and enter the amount they ask in local currency to check what your own currency amount would be at the current rate.  If the amount the vendor offers you in your own currency is more than the official rate, charge in the local currency.  

Edited by marazul

14 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

Hello, is there a good hotel next to Smeraldo ? We booked 3 night at Smeraldo for August .My brother wants to stay there too but the hotel is full for those nights. Thank you.

Hotel Ponte Sisto is not far away (a 4 minute walk according to Google Maps) and has gotten good reviews online and here on CC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I’m hoping someone has some helpful suggestions for a decent hotel with a bar/restaurant in Rome that is kind of mid range price (up to $200 usd per night) in Oct. I’ve looked at the nicer locations like Spanish steps and Trevi fountain areas but they are out of my price range, I see that hotels in the Termini area are less expensive. It also seems that transportation to the sites is easy via bus or metro. I’ve looked over many pages of reviews in CC for hotels but don’t see a lot of reviews for Termini. Is it a safe area? Does anyone have any experience with a mid priced hotel in the Termini area with a bar and breakfast and decent services that they have stayed in and would recommend?

16 minutes ago, Motorman23 said:

Hello, I’m hoping someone has some helpful suggestions for a decent hotel with a bar/restaurant in Rome that is kind of mid range price (up to $200 usd per night) in Oct. I’ve looked at the nicer locations like Spanish steps and Trevi fountain areas but they are out of my price range, I see that hotels in the Termini area are less expensive. It also seems that transportation to the sites is easy via bus or metro. I’ve looked over many pages of reviews in CC for hotels but don’t see a lot of reviews for Termini. Is it a safe area? Does anyone have any experience with a mid priced hotel in the Termini area with a bar and breakfast and decent services that they have stayed in and would recommend?

Has one tried to “search” on a well known “Booking” site, which can filter by date/s and price.  One may find a Gem available in a more desirable area.

1 hour ago, Motorman23 said:

Termini is not the best area to stay in, both in terms of nearby attractions or attractiveness.  Practically all hotels will serve breakfast. You will get a bar as you move up the price scale. More likely than not, all hotels will have many restaurants on the same block or nearby.

Also look in the Pantheon and Campo di Fiori areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motorman23 said:

Hello, I’m hoping someone has some helpful suggestions for a decent hotel with a bar/restaurant in Rome that is kind of mid range price (up to $200 usd per night) in Oct

Believe it or not, it's kinda' late in the game for finding a hotel priced less than $200 (~€187) per night in October.  I would be happy to check my usual sources if you provide your exact dates.

13 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

Believe it or not, it's kinda' late in the game for finding a hotel priced less than $200 (~€187) per night in October.  I would be happy to check my usual sources if you provide your exact dates.

Sorry, I didn’t detail my dates, I’m looking for 2025 but assumed pricing would be similar. Too early to get exact pricing just trying to get my ducks in a row…

• Like 1

Here is my research.  Try Hotel Smeraldo, it may meet your needs.

Preferred location is Pantheon and Piazza Navona
#1 Albergo del Senato (on piazza at Pantheon) 9.3. $984 $1201, $1128, Pantheon patio requires 4 nights and is $445/night
BOOKED direct-$870e+36e, one double room with breakfast. $970
Hotel Smeraldo 8.9 (between Colosseum and Vatican),affordable $813. 0.4mi from Pantheon , May have street noise
Hotel Ponte SISTO 8.4 $1048
Hotel Navona 8.4 $1077
Albergo Santa Chiara (near Pantheon) 8.7 $1305, $1030
Lancelot (near Colosseum) 8.8 $664
Navona 49 9.0 $1323
Hotel Damaso (near Pantheon) 9.3 $1200
Hotel Artemide 9.3 $1215
Hotel Colosseum 8.4 $819
Hotel Locarno 9.2 $2244
Hotel Nerva Boutique (near Forum) 9.3 $1514
Hotel Hiberia Roma (with view) 8.7 $850  
Hotel Pantheon
Marriott Pantheon Iconic 286,000 points
Hotel Abruzzi $1185 annex, $1581 (pantheon view)
The one Boutique Hotel and Spa 8.9 $1591
Boutique Hotel Trevi 7.4 $1056
Hotel Trevi 8.2 $842e with view on their website, good location $892

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kohanfam said:

#1 Albergo del Senato (on piazza at Pantheon) 9.3. $984 $1201, $1128, Pantheon patio requires 4 nights and is $445/night
Hotel Smeraldo 8.9 (between Colosseum and Vatican),affordable $813. 0.4mi from Pantheon , May have street noise
Hotel Navona 8.4 $1077
Navona 49 9.0 $1323
Hotel Artemide 9.3 $1215
Hotel Colosseum 8.4 $819
Hotel Locarno 9.2 $2244
Hotel Pantheon

Wow, if Albergo Senato is #1 I’d hate to see the rest.  It’s very basic though the location is really great.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:53 PM, kohanfam said:

Hotel Navona 8.4 $1077
Navona 49 9.0 $1323
Hotel Artemide 9.3 $1215
Hotel Colosseum 8.4 $819
Hotel Locarno 9.2 $2244
Hotel Pantheon

How many nights are these prices for? 4 nights?  

I made a list of hotels but like poster above waiting. I need late may 2025. .. getting close. I'm looking for 1 solo pax is why so many come up for me with one single twin bed, but I've found some larger ones.  Several on your list. One even had some kind of balcony but it was solid wood, not a great view imo but oh well. Waiting to book, but impatient.

I've searched for both spanish steps and Colosseum as some that are in the later area arent that far from from the steps area. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

How many nights are these prices for? 4 nights?  

I made a list of hotels but like poster above waiting. I need late may 2025. .. getting close. I'm looking for 1 solo pax is why so many come up for me with one single twin bed, but I've found some larger ones.  Several on your list. One even had some kind of balcony but it was solid wood, not a great view imo but oh well. Waiting to book, but impatient.

I've searched for both spanish steps and Colosseum as some that are in the later area arent that far from from the steps area. 

Sorry.  3 nights via booking dot com.  Cheaper directly via hotel.

52 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I made a list of hotels but like poster above waiting. I need late may 2025

You are a bit too early.  Reservatons open up 11-12 months ahead of time on the reservation websites. You can always email the hotel directly now and they will quote you a price and reserve if you like their offer.