Carnival Corp to remove 2 additional ships from service to now 15 ships total?

Georgie562

Now, “we have made a decision to remove a further two ships from our fleet. These decisions are intended to align the fleet with the expected phased restart of guest cruise operations while also generating cost savings.”

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/carnival-sees-impairment-charge-up-to-650-million#:~:text=Error Code%3A 100013)-,Carnival to Take Up to %24650 Million Charge to Reduce,15 ships from its fleet.

Edited by Georgie562

13 minutes ago, Georgie562 said:

Now, “we have made a decision to remove a further two ships from our fleet. These decisions are intended to align the fleet with the expected phased restart of guest cruise operations while also generating cost savings.”

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/carnival-sees-impairment-charge-up-to-650-million#:~:text=Error Code%3A 100013)-,Carnival to Take Up to %24650 Million Charge to Reduce,15 ships from its fleet.

Fascination and Imagination are likely the ships mentioned.

• Like 3

My bet is the two ships currently sailing for P&O Australia which were to have been sold to CMV. Now that CMV is gone, it is doubtful that Carnival wAnt to hold on to these ships any longer.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Fantasy class is done for

^ From your mouth to God's ear!

For some time now they've been looking awfully outdated..

- dragging down 'the look' of the rest of Carnival's far more modern fleet!

Mardi-Gras-2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ch09 said:

Fascination and Imagination are likely the ships mentioned.

If so, I am double heartbroken.  My husband and I met onboard the Fascination in 1995 and were married in 1997.  Before this pandemic hit, we had planned to do another cruise on her to celebrate 25 years together.  So sad it will never happen now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ch09 said:

Imagination sending crew over to the Coral Princess. 

EA66ABEC-67EC-488F-B478-CE8573CEAF72.png

5116DB96-44C6-4A90-869C-0292D9591A6C.png

Noticed that she also shows Freeport as the next port. If they were transferring crew members over to the CP then it looks as though she will be headed across the pond. This was my fourth Carnival ship after the Fantasy, Sensation and Celebration which still remains my favorite Carnival ship.

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Noticed that she also shows Freeport as the next port. If they were transferring crew members over to the CP then it looks as though she will be headed across the pond. This was my fourth Carnival ship after the Fantasy, Sensation and Celebration which still remains my favorite Carnival ship.

The Imagination will likely get stripped of its valuables and its movables of valuable items that Carnival wants to keep in Freeport rather than Curacao. Grand Bahama Shipyard is more than capable to do this.

Edited by ch09

I was very pessimistic about cruising since the beginning of this crisis especially the future of the Fantasy class ships (that I enjoy). As things started to reopen I thought the Fantasy class might have a little hope since I though people would want to sail on smaller ships but it does not look like that will happen. I am afraid in a few years we will have the Royal Carnival lines with a substantially reduced fleet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dezertcruzer said:

If so, I am double heartbroken.  My husband and I met onboard the Fascination in 1995 and were married in 1997.  Before this pandemic hit, we had planned to do another cruise on her to celebrate 25 years together.  So sad it will never happen now.

Same here, the Fascination was the ship I took my now husband on for his first cruise and he fell in love with that ship and cruising in general. We had considered doing a cruise out of San Juan on her to commemorate that cruise, but alas, that will probably not happen now 😟

If more cuts are necessary, it may come down to which drydock can be avoided.

Carnival Spirit is scheduled for May 29-June 12, 2021.

Carnival Pride doesn't have one scheduled yet, but should have one no later than February 2022.

Carnival Legend does not have one scheduled, but is due by May 2021.

Carnival Miracle is good until 2022 or 2023. Her most recent drydock is in 2020.

Legend may be vulnerable due to the 2021 drydock, but it comes down to where Carnival wants to pare back service. The most likely cut would be in San Diego, with Miracle or Pride splitting time between the Caribbean and Alaska.

This has to be weighed against the rest of the fleet as well. Paradise is the only Fantasy-class ship due in 2021 for a drydock, and technically she is due before Legend.

Even without COVID-19, the 2020s was going to be a busy decade for ship retirements. There are just too many ships pushing 30.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Carnival Pride doesn't have one scheduled yet, but should have one no later than February 2022.

Carnival Miracle is good until 2022 or 2023. Her most recent drydock is in 2020.

Legend may be vulnerable due to the 2021 drydock, but it comes down to where Carnival wants to pare back service. The most likely cut would be in San Diego, with Miracle or Pride splitting time between the Caribbean and Alaska.

This has to be weighed against the rest of the fleet as well. Paradise is the only Fantasy-class ship due in 2021 for a drydock, and technically she is due before Legend.

Even without COVID-19, the 2020s was going to be a busy decade for ship retirements. There are just too many ships pushing 30.

That is great information you have! I was thinking that there is typically a Spirit class ship in Alaska. Since Carnival can’t have many visits to Glacier Bay, a very preferred itinerary, that maybe only 1 larger ship would do the Alaska inside passage. It would be a way to cut back without losing that itinerary totally. 

I was very pessimistic about cruising since the beginning of this crisis especially the future of the Fantasy class ships (that I enjoy). As things started to reopen I thought the Fantasy class might have a little hope since I though people would want to sail on smaller ships but it does not look like that will happen. I am afraid in a few years we will have the Royal Carnival lines with a substantially reduced fleet. 
Keeping the bigger ships makes more sense now especially you can sail with 2k on a 4k max ship and make enough profit to make it, especially with Balconies vs 1k and no Balconies

Sent from my SM-G988U using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

You cut san diego, you also cut the highly profitable Alaska cruises out of SF, well they will be once we get going lol

51 minutes ago, goduckies05 said:

Keeping the bigger ships makes more sense now especially you can sail with 2k on a 4k max ship and make enough profit to make it, especially with Balconies vs 1k and no Balconies

You are right, maybe they will sail with every other cabin filed but I am not sure cruise lines will make enough money at half capacity to stay afloat.