So what do folks really wear to dinner in the dining rooms?

njpln

15 hours ago, Mura said:

If you want to dress up, you should do so.  When we go into dinner in a restaurant on the ship I tend to dress up a bit more than others.  No formal gowns, though.  (Actually, on our first Renaissance cruise we saw a group of 8 who were dressed to the nines, the women in formal gowns.  We enjoyed looking at them and they were having a great time.)

When I say "dress up" I tend to go to a long casual cocktail outfit kind of thing ... unfortunately I wore out my favorite outfit some years ago ...But you should NOT feel awkward about dressing up more than others may.  Do what makes you happy! I don't think you will be alone.

Mura

Hi Mura,

I'll ask this here but curious overall. Do people dress up nicer for a cruise dinner than they would for, say, Per Se in NYC ? Or any other very upscale land place?

13 minutes ago, clo said:

Hi Mura,

I'll ask this here but curious overall. Do people dress up nicer for a cruise dinner than they would for, say, Per Se in NYC ? Or any other very upscale land place?

I'd say it depends on the cruise line.   Cunard is known for its formal dinners and on other lines that specifically promote having "formal nights" I think you will see more formal clothing than you would typically see at a nice restaurant on shore.   

Not very common to see someone in a tuxedo at a restaurant ashore.   The alternative (a dark suit) you are more likely to see ashore because that is business attire for some.

Edited by Smokeyham

2 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

I'd say it depends on the cruise line.   Cunard is known for its formal dinners and on other lines that specifically promote having "formal nights" I think you will see more formal clothing than you would typically see at a nice restaurant on shore.   

Not very common to see someone in a tuxedo at a restaurant ashore.   The alternative (a dark suit) you are more likely to see ashore because that is business attire for some.

I agree....There is a long tradition of people dressing up well on cruises... Its part of the ambiance and romance of the cruise.   Few restaurants..even Per Se , French laundry, Pic, even Triogosio . have that romantic connection.as does a cruise.

Part of the dress up I think is to make you spouse proud of you and you her.....  Its akin to a grand ball..... and an escape from the world of mundane you left behind.       

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Not very common to see someone in a tuxedo at a restaurant ashore. 

Right. I've seen "black tie" at private functions but not in a regular restaurant. There may still be a few that require men to wear jacket. When we booked our O cruise I asked about jackets and ties as some photos showed that. I was told that those were models and not necessary 🙂 Since that cruise was summer in S. American Bob didn't take a blazer but likely would in, say, Scandanavia.

20 hours ago, clo said:

Right. I've seen "black tie" at private functions but not in a regular restaurant. There may still be a few that require men to wear jacket. When we booked our O cruise I asked about jackets and ties as some photos showed that. I was told that those were models and not necessary 🙂 Since that cruise was summer in S. American Bob didn't take a blazer but likely would in, say, Scandanavia.

There are still quite a few that require Jacket  and tie for men in Europe and  here in the US.

As for being on a cruise... I  prefer to dress according to the perceived ambiance of what venue I am attending..   Slacks and  Golf shirt for Waves and Terrace,  Coat and Tie for some specialties  or occasion ( like birthday or some such special personal day) like Jacques with its french ambiance. and Polo.   Too what functions will I be at prior to or after dinner    I final consideration is , for me, what is the atmosphere the particular venue wishing to acheive?  I would then dress it a manner to promote that atmosphere.    I see dinner time as part theater, your part of the cast and need to play to the theme .  Thats just me...

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 5:04 PM, LHT28 said:

If you like to dress up then  just do it

If there is  an issue the Maitre'd  may  send you to change 

I have seen people in ball gowns & Tuxes on Oceania  (not often)

Men in suits with ties  & without ties

men in jackets men with a nice shirt for dinner

Ladies in long dress/capris/ dress slacks  sparkle tops & just plain tops

The main thing is to enjoy  but do not complain because others do not meet your standards

JMO

I agree with most posts that people should dress to their comfort level as we are on a vacation cruise.  I will possibly overdress for the speciality’s by wearing a jacket, but not often in the GDR, and never a tie.  I have seen on other lines, but not so far on Oceania, men in the GDR in jeans, tee shirts and ball caps on backwards.  Let’s hope that country club casual is observed by all O passengers and enforced where appropriate.

1 hour ago, shank63 said:

I agree with most posts that people should dress to their comfort level as we are on a vacation cruise.  I will possibly overdress for the speciality’s by wearing a jacket, but not often in the GDR, and never a tie.  I have seen on other lines, but not so far on Oceania, men in the GDR in jeans, tee shirts and ball caps on backwards.  Let’s hope that country club casual is observed by all O passengers and enforced where appropriate.

Most people clean up well for dinner

I have not seen the ball caps & t-shirts in the GDR  or Specialties on any of our cruises

One man was in dress shorts but was turned away from the GDR  I only noticed  as he was  a few people ahead of us in the line

13 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Most people clean up well for dinner

I have not seen the ball caps & t-shirts in the GDR  or Specialties on any of our cruises

One man was in dress shorts but was turned away from the GDR  I only noticed  as he was  a few people ahead of us in the line

There will always be the 1 to 2% that doesn't get it ,or  refuses to get it.....Anti conformity or establishment is always present in any society.  You can not fix it... just  ignore it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

There will always be the 1 to 2% that doesn't get it ,or  refuses to get it.....Anti conformity or establishment is always present in any society.  You can not fix it... just  ignore it.

Mostly agree with this. However, on our cruise , winter 19, once people saw the 1-2% were not turned away, the numbers quickly became 20-25%. What’s the limit to your ignore feature, before it becomes non ignorable ? 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Mostly agree with this. However, on our cruise , winter 19, once people saw the 1-2% were not turned away, the numbers quickly became 20-25%. What’s the limit to your ignore feature, before it becomes non ignorable ? 

When it gets to 3 to 4% it time to get vocal...5% very vocal ..... and 6% .... search for the Beretta.

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I'm curious if you can tell us, in general terms, what the 25% were wearing in the Oceania dining room, that was not in compliance with the requested dress code?   

4 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

I'm curious if you can tell us, in general terms, what the 25% were wearing in the Oceania dining room, that was not in compliance with the requested dress code?   

Tee shirts showing beer commercials, long ago rock concerts, and just visited islands.

Sweat pants, joga pants, men in capris, and rumpled very casual jeans.

Men in standard flip flops, not even a dress sandal, just flip flops.

Does a polo shirt that doesn’t cover the man’s belly button, when standing, count as “ country club casual “?

3 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Tee shirts showing beer commercials, long ago rock concerts, and just visited islands.

Does a polo shirt that doesn’t cover the man’s belly button, when standing, count as “ country club casual “?

Thanks..... That definitely paints the picture.  I agree, I would want to go on Oceania because there is a certain level of elegance on board, including how passengers dress.

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Having been on many O ships , I have personally seen several times when people have been turned away at the main dining room entrance because they were  not dressed appropriately. 

Therefore I cannot imagine what ship "pinotlover" was on !!   

43 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Thankfully on 25+ O cruises I have never seen anything like you describe on this one cruise alone in any dining venue - not even in the Terrace in the numbers you describe.

If I did, I too would be upset.

• Like 2

I reported and discussed the cruise, here on CC, at the time. It was Papeete to Papeete. I will fortunately say I had never seen such abuse of the dress code before nor since. I don’t want to suggest that cruise was normal in any way. 

On that cruise, once many of the cruisers realized the staff was taking no effort to enforce dress codes, many took advantage.

I will add though that on our 20 day  August 2019 cruise , our following Oceania cruise from above, dress standards where at a lower level that pre 2019 cruises . 

It will be interesting to see how Oceania instructs its staff to administer dress codes.

Edited by pinotlover

On 8/22/2020 at 11:03 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Slacks and  Golf shirt for Waves

With everyone sitting around in shorts that seems to contradict your "perceived ambiance" ideal. BTW we never ate there.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:20 PM, LHT28 said:

There was a man in Jacques in baggy jeans and tee shirt. I showed the maitre d' the dress code and he blew me off. That kind of thing also makes me wonder about crew enforcing any kind of COVID requirements.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Guess it depends on your country club 🙂 That's really funny, p.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

WOW   I guess we have been lucky & never seen anything like that  on O

The worst we saw was  a young lady with the ripped jeans  that cost  a fortune  but that was during the day

5 hours ago, Still traveling said:

Having been on many O ships , I have personally seen several times when people have been turned away at the main dining room entrance because they were  not dressed appropriately. 

Therefore I cannot imagine what ship "pinotlover" was on !!   

I agree

Probably  another one of his posts for shock value 🙄

Although I'm glad that I'd never take such a cruise (and, therefore, could not test my thesis), I'm betting that most violators of the the O dress code -particularly the tee shirt/baseball cal folks - would probably be O "first timers" escaping from Celebrity et al. who are found on shorter O ship Caribbean cruises RT Miami. 

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Although I'm glad that I'd never take such a cruise (and, therefore, could not test my thesis), I'm betting that most violators of the the O dress code -particularly the tee shirt/baseball cal folks - would probably be O "first timers" escaping from Celebrity et al. who are found on shorter O ship Caribbean cruises RT Miami. 

Sounds about right. Or it could be a situation like one young man I met on O that told me that Grandma had died and left Mom & him with quite a bit of money. They decided to go on a fancy cruise.  TA had picked the cruise line probably due to the cost being more than mass lines. Probably wasn't concerned whether it was a fit for them or not. He was a heavy drinking backwards cap kind of guy. I never saw them in the evening so don't know how he dressed for dinner. Seemed to be having a good time though.