New Cancellations

wesport

On 8/10/2020 at 7:25 PM, jenidallas said:

Tonight will be 154 in a row in my own bed, something I had not done in decades prior to this.  Right now our idea of a big voyage is donning a mask to pick up groceries or get a haircut.

I miss cruising and long to be back on Seabourn, but not quite yet.

Hi Jeni, tonight will be 142 nights at home for us, since returning from our last cruise.  Also, tonight is 125 days since we would have met you, your Mom, and Mauzac on our Quest TA.

We are booked on the Sojourn for the end of 2021, maybe we will meet then.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 7:27 PM, Isklaar said:

SLSD, I understand exactly what you're saying.

I'd very much like to meet you and your husband on board one day. (And Mauzac too, we didn't meet last year). 

I do hope so!  Agree with SLSD too... we were/are just at that time in life and similar ages that we can travel to far flung places, we have the health (fingers x'd) we can cope with long haul flights, we can afford the money and time to holiday in these places and now we are on hold.

Every time I see a glimmer of hope, it seems to be dashed with some more worrying news.  But hopefully, in the not too distant future, the better news will outweigh the not so good news.  And I can't even bear to look at footage from cruises, or go on the SB site... not until there is a faint possibiity we can get on a ship and travel!  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mauzac said:

I do hope so!  Agree with SLSD too... we were/are just at that time in life and similar ages that we can travel to far flung places, we have the health (fingers x'd) we can cope with long haul flights, we can afford the money and time to holiday in these places and now we are on hold.

Every time I see a glimmer of hope, it seems to be dashed with some more worrying news.  But hopefully, in the not too distant future, the better news will outweigh the not so good news.  And I can't even bear to look at footage from cruises, or go on the SB site... not until there is a faint possibiity we can get on a ship and travel!  

I'm not going to the SB site either.  Too painful.  Right now, medical experts are telling us that we may be facing the worst winter health wise in United States history---certainly no time to be planning a cruise.  I am hoping our health stays great.  At the moment, we are staying home--and doing this since March 12th. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 3:02 PM, jenidallas said:

Holiday Panama Canal?  That’s the one we are seriously considering.  Hubby and I, that is.

3 hours ago, Isklaar said:

So are we! 

Yes.  It would be good to meet you all.  We have until penalties begin in August 2021 to decide if we are comfortable with what travel and cruising look like at that time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

We have until penalties begin in August 2021 to decide if we are comfortable with what travel and cruising look like at that time.

We are not allowed out Queensland let alone Australia at the moment and I suspect it will be that way until a vaccine is available.  So far this year we have cancelled :

Feb 28 - Hong Kong to Singapore on SB

July - Cyprus to visit our son and family. 

August - Athens to Athens on SB

A couple of trips to Melbourne 

Several trips to Sydney to visit our other son and family.

So the video conferencing has been huge in our place over the past six months. 

If only COVID had waited a couple of months, at least we would have gotten the first cruise in. ☹️

Edited by ab21au

This is from a recent  article from the Miami Herald:  “CDC feels that it is still currently not safe to resume normal cruise ship operations at this time,” said the head of the CDC’s maritime division Dr. Martin Cetron in an interview with the Herald last week. “The pandemic has only increased in intensity and geographic distribution within countries and across the globe. The planning for how to cope for that is not complete at all.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article244792442.html?fbclid=IwAR3TUb1OeCYbVSGOCPe_pAZX0-fvwBGL4SeiTL8iOVndrIF_nwc2Q_6uRUE#storylink=cpy

Edited by SLSD

Interesting post on Cruise Industry News re: Cunard

Sweeping deployment changes for all of next year across their fleet. What a major change .....shorter more confined sailings in terms of ports and itineraries

True Cunard only has 3 ships vs Seabourn's 5....but wondering if the same may be in the works for Seabourn whose longer sailings could be impacted by country and port closures at any given time. Thinking shorter sailings provide more flexibility?

2021 is definitely going to be interesting !

3 hours ago, robertmartha said:

True Cunard only has 3 ships vs Seabourn's 5....but wondering if the same may be in the works for Seabourn whose longer sailings could be impacted by country and port closures at any given time. Thinking shorter sailings provide more flexibility?

2021 is definitely going to be interesting !

Shorter sailings would not be practical for many people.  It is hardly worth it to fly abroad for a short cruise--unless you coupled it with a much longer land based trip.  Here's what concerns me.  From what I have read, the numbers we are reading concerning the virus (in the United States)  may not be accurate.  The situation could be much worse than it appears to be.  Lately, it has come to my attention that quite a few people that I know or know of have been infected.  The reporting system seems to be in flux.  All of it is concerning.  

SLSD - this entire situation here in the US is beyond concerning...every day - more bad news and the story changes depending on the internet site or the news channel one watches

Would appear to me that Cunard recognizes the situation here in the US (and other countries that are struggling to deal with the virus) and is hedging their bets and deploying their ships in markets that they hope will be in much better shape (health wise) next year. If/when US citizens ARE allowed to travel abroad - they will - they will fly to wherever they need to, to meet a ship...even if it is for a 7 to 10 day sailing. Heck I will...I still have quite a few years before retirement - so even with the new norm of working from home (wherever that may be) - I still can't steal away for more then a week + a day or two ...so shorter sailings would suit me.

Bob from NY

4 hours ago, robertmartha said:

SLSD - this entire situation here in the US is beyond concerning...every day - more bad news and the story changes depending on the internet site or the news channel one watches

Would appear to me that Cunard recognizes the situation here in the US (and other countries that are struggling to deal with the virus) and is hedging their bets and deploying their ships in markets that they hope will be in much better shape (health wise) next year. If/when US citizens ARE allowed to travel abroad - they will - they will fly to wherever they need to, to meet a ship...even if it is for a 7 to 10 day sailing. Heck I will...I still have quite a few years before retirement - so even with the new norm of working from home (wherever that may be) - I still can't steal away for more then a week + a day or two ...so shorter sailings would suit me.

Bob from NY

I can understand shorter trips being appealing if you are still working in your career.  We could never travel much during my husband's career because it was impossible to know far in advance when he would have to appear in court.  Now--we are interested in leisurely trips-- no rush---and as long as possible.  Hopefully, this will be possible again--before we are too elderly to weather the foreign airports, etc.  I'm glad others here recognize that the situation in the United States is concerning.  Schools are just not starting up--and some are already closing due to the virus.  I choose to be positive however, and hopeful that we all persevere and move beyond this.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SLSD said:

I can understand shorter trips being appealing if you are still working in your career.  We could never travel much during my husband's career because it was impossible to know far in advance when he would have to appear in court.  Now--we are interested in leisurely trips-- no rush---and as long as possible.  Hopefully, this will be possible again--before we are too elderly to weather the foreign airports, etc.  I'm glad others here recognize that the situation in the United States is concerning.  Schools are just not starting up--and some are already closing due to the virus.  I choose to be positive however, and hopeful that we all persevere and move beyond this.  

I'm gate crashing seabourn as I've never sailed with them( my brother has and enjoyed the seabourn experience... But your comment about your husbands career not knowing when he will have to appear in court does alarm me a little !! ( Only joking 😂) I've yet to try seabourn !!( Only done silversea& crystal) I'm I bit lively for seabourn maybe!!!

On 8/17/2020 at 9:04 PM, Isklaar said:

So are we! 

High jacking seabourn again !! Not having a seabourn experience ..but have done Panama canal trip several times many many years ago before USA handed it back to Panama ..it was amazing .the trip went right through the canal ( some only go part through) lazy lazy day !!🍾xx that's hope we can return to cruising as we have been able to experience ( no mask for me !!!) 

57 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

High jacking seabourn again !! Not having a seabourn experience ..but have done Panama canal trip several times many many years ago before USA handed it back to Panama ..it was amazing .the trip went right through the canal ( some only go part through) lazy lazy day !!🍾xx that's hope we can return to cruising as we have been able to experience ( no mask for me !!!) 

My husband is a lawyer and did litigation --which is why appearance in court was sometimes on short notice.   I wouldn't want you to think he had to appear in court because he was being sued by anyone!  And, we are with you--while we are willing to wear masks to go where we need to go--we will wait to vacation when it is not necessary.  

1 hour ago, Lvshack said:

I'm gate crashing seabourn as I've never sailed with them( my brother has and enjoyed the seabourn experience... But your comment about your husbands career not knowing when he will have to appear in court does alarm me a little !! ( Only joking 😂) I've yet to try seabourn !!( Only done silversea& crystal) I'm I bit lively for seabourn maybe!!!

My husband is an attorney-and often had to appear in court on short notice.  So--it is not so alarming.  LOL  I hope that Seabourn will be back up and running and you can try it.  We have loved our cruises with Seabourn.  

Edited by SLSD

Just read this on a facebook site:  

Today, Seabourn announced that it will cancel additional voyages for three cruise ships in its fleet as a part of its pause in global ship operations.
The announcement applies to Seabourn Ovation, Seabourn Encore, and Seabourn Quest with each ship having a different “effective through” date. Specific details are as follows:
•Seabourn Ovation: with its operations pause effective through January 3, 2021
•Seabourn Encore: with its operations pause effective through January 6, 2021
•Seabourn Quest: with its operations pause effective through May 10, 2021
Seabourn is also announcing a revised delivery date for its new ultra-luxury purpose-built expedition ship, Seabourn Venture, which is now scheduled for December 1, 2021. The delay is because of shipyard closures at T. Mariotti earlier this year as part of responses to COVID-19, which resulted in disruptions to the overall construction and finishing process for the ship.
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Just read this on a facebook site:  

Today, Seabourn announced that it will cancel additional voyages for three cruise ships in its fleet as a part of its pause in global ship operations.
The announcement applies to Seabourn Ovation, Seabourn Encore, and Seabourn Quest with each ship having a different “effective through” date. Specific details are as follows:
•Seabourn Ovation: with its operations pause effective through January 3, 2021
•Seabourn Encore: with its operations pause effective through January 6, 2021
•Seabourn Quest: with its operations pause effective through May 10, 2021
Seabourn is also announcing a revised delivery date for its new ultra-luxury purpose-built expedition ship, Seabourn Venture, which is now scheduled for December 1, 2021. The delay is because of shipyard closures at T. Mariotti earlier this year as part of responses to COVID-19, which resulted in disruptions to the overall construction and finishing process for the ship.

Also assessing the Odyssey Caribbean season. 

Both good and bad news for me (Quest November) BUT therei s no way I will take up the kind offer to equity fund Seabourn for tens of thousands of dollars in exchange for the the same cabin and USD500,-. I am a loyal customer but not that loyal.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IanL said:

Both good and bad news for me (Quest November) BUT therei s no way I will take up the kind offer to equity fund Seabourn for tens of thousands of dollars in exchange for the the same cabin and USD500,-. I am a loyal customer but not that loyal.

Agreed.  The same offer for our April 2021 cruise and an automatic booking for the same itinerary April 2022.  Not acceptable!

On 9/1/2020 at 5:46 AM, geoffieg said:

Interesting that the Ovation is still planning on its January 3 voyage which is from Hong Kong to Singapore.  Most foreigners are not currently allowed entry to both of those without a 14 day quarantine.  That could change before January 3 but given the way the US is handling COVID who knows.

As one currently imprisoned in Singapore I wouldn't get your hopes up for any changes in entry requirements here in the foreseeable future, by which I mean perhaps H2 2021. Singapore has managed to hammer out reciprocal travel arrangements for dignitaries to about 4 different countries with a list of preconditions which would make your head spin and it's possible, just possible that some kind of tourist bubbles with other Asean countries might happen late this year or early next (Malaysia probably the most possible as it's the closest); but I don't see general tourism restarting here any time soon. 

HK I don't know about. They kind of have less reason to open up to the world as they aren't so reliant on tourism in the first place. 

I'd give a Seabourn cruise between HK and Singapore in Jan 2021 about a 1% chance of happening. 

• Thanks 1