Who misses sailing?

On 9/16/2020 at 10:49 AM, ORV said:

Just to rub it in my calendar popped up a notice today that I have a 5am flight to Vancouver tomorrow. Yeah, that ain't happening. Was headed out on a TP to Honolulu.

I was supposed to be in Namibia now on a safari. I just put together a last minute trip in Arizona for October. I used AA miles to fly to Phoenix, we will rent a car and drive to National Parks and monuments for 9 days incl. 3 nights at n AirBnb in Sedona. We will spend the days hiking, walking, communing with nature. There's plenty of award seat availability on planes and loads of open hotel rooms to book, although no discounts. The usual hordes of Chinese tourists won't be at the GC so that should be pleasant.

16 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

yes....and there are dozens of open spaces like Monument valley Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce, Capitol reef..Escalante just waiting

Thanks. Maybe a winter rv trip for us. I'll have to check who gets snow and who doesn't 🙂

11 hours ago, clo said:

Are AZ national parks open? 

They have been open all along, some with limited service. We were able to book into a Bright Angel cabin for the 1 night at GCNP. A lot of the dining options at the GC are closed so we may bring our own picnic food.

Monument Valley is still closed off, you cannot go there now. Most of the parks HawaiiDan mentioned are in Utah not Arizona.

30 minutes ago, susiesan said:

They have been open all along, some with limited service. We were able to book into a Bright Angel cabin for the 1 night at GCNP. A lot of the dining options at the GC are closed so we may bring our own picnic food.

Monument Valley is still closed off, you cannot go there now. Most of the parks HawaiiDan mentioned are in Utah not Arizona.

That's good. All the national parks in CA are now closed due to fire danger.

18 hours ago, clo said:

Thanks. Maybe a winter rv trip for us. I'll have to check who gets snow and who doesn't 🙂

All of the Colorado plateau gets snow from late to mid November and freezing nights in the rest...  However to get there you have to  go  through St George/cedar city  or Flagstaff    There  will be heavy traffic near Thanksgiving   I would suspect     When I was in Moab earlier  they told me Arches and Canyon lands are now busy every month except Jan   No more slow season  Right now is a great time with all the fires to get out  Good luck.....Looks like Oceania, if the follow Carnival's lead will not start cruising till after Easter  next year

56 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

All of the Colorado plateau gets snow from late to mid November and freezing nights in the rest...  However to get there you have to  go  through St George/cedar city  or Flagstaff    There  will be heavy traffic near Thanksgiving   I would suspect     When I was in Moab earlier  they told me Arches and Canyon lands are now busy every month except Jan   No more slow season  Right now is a great time with all the fires to get out  Good luck.....Looks like Oceania, if the follow Carnival's lead will not start cruising till after Easter  next year

Freezing temps are fine but we're unwilling to head into snowy roads in the RV. I'm thinking after the first of the year. We'll likely head back to PNW in the next couple of months. Thanks again for the info and advice.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:03 AM, susiesan said:

A point....They can not close off Monument valley entirely .  A darn hiway runs through it.   Oh, Gouldings and the Tribal center may be closed... ( high Ovid susceptibility with the Navajo) is the reason.   However with an RV  you can camp all over BLM land... Drive the famed Mokie Dugway,    Take in hundreds of miles of scenery for free.    Services in Kayenta and Mexican Hat too....  You can see 75% of monument valley from the car..or RV  the drive to Moab  which is open and all the vastness of Canyon lands. Arches..  Lots of people just pull over and camp for the night

13585129_1643002092684346_6545856411008700709_o.jpg

13580662_1643001942684361_838811965523622144_o.jpg

• Thanks 1