Who misses sailing?

I have cancelled since March 2020.  I have one cruise left for October 2021 and I don't think it will be going???  New England.  

The other problem is the protocols.  So far they seem so restrictive that I am afraid I could not conform.  I have until my birthday in May to cancel!  

Very sad.

7 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

I have cancelled since March 2020.  I have one cruise left for October 2021 and I don't think it will be going???  New England.  

The other problem is the protocols.  So far they seem so restrictive that I am afraid I could not conform.  I have until my birthday in May to cancel!  

Very sad.

Who knows what will happen  a year from now  😎

YES if some Countries cannot  conform to the protocols now  they may well be locked out of enjoying the rest of the World in the next year or more

JMO

41 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

YES if some Countries cannot  conform to the protocols now  they may well be locked out of enjoying the rest of the World in the next year or more

You surely don't mean us (as in US) 😀 😀

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I guess they can contact people through CC - otherwise who would leave their name and phone number there.

The vaccine and or cure cannot come fast enough to get us back to "normal"

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for chiming in!  I guess we are all in the same boat.....  with all the crazy politics, it’s good to have thread that shares our love of sailing!

My guess so far is our reservations for Nov, (not going to happen) January (hopeful but doubting) March (possibly) June and beyond (likely)

I get the Pfizer vaccine on Wednesday then a booster three weeks later (hopefully, I could get the placebo). Once the study is unblinded, the placebo participants get the vaccine for a comparison study so either way, I’ll get it soon.

I’ll keep you all posted with results as they are shared with us as I think it’s our only path back to normal sailing.... afternoon tea.......ahhhhhhh

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

I’ll keep you all posted with results as they are shared with us as I think it’s our only path back to normal sailing.... afternoon tea.......ahhhhhhh

Please do keep us in the loop and thanks for volunteering in this important study.

• Like 4

On 8/12/2020 at 8:24 AM, tvmovielover said:

Doesn't most everybody who sails miss cruising?  We are hopeful that even if our May 21 cruise is cancelled, the Dec 21 cruise will sail.

Hope this doesn't happen to you:  Our Dec. 20th cruise just went from all categories open except one to 'wait listed' in one day!  "Wait Listed' is a euphemism for 'ready for cancellation' in my experience.

Now looking for a replacement.  Haven't been on a ship since 9-2019.... .

Donna

Edited by GeorgesGal

On 8/16/2020 at 4:35 PM, the more ports the better said:

Thanks everyone for chiming in!  I guess we are all in the same boat.....  with all the crazy politics, it’s good to have thread that shares our love of sailing!

My guess so far is our reservations for Nov, (not going to happen) January (hopeful but doubting) March (possibly) June and beyond (likely)

I get the Pfizer vaccine on Wednesday then a booster three weeks later (hopefully, I could get the placebo). Once the study is unblinded, the placebo participants get the vaccine for a comparison study so either way, I’ll get it soon.

SO hoping that you have good news for us!  I am a cancer "survivor" but just a year out of major surgery and treatment...and have tried to find any vaccine studies that would want to test on my population.....so far the answer is "not yet!"  But I am ready, willing and able!  Kudos to you for your participation......and we have already cancelled two cruises....fingers crossed that we "may" be able to take the one in February 2021.  Again - thank you for your participation in our journey to 'normal"

On 8/10/2020 at 11:21 PM, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Yesterday I was due to fly to London before the start of a Southampton to Copenhagen cruise. When I saw the entry in my diary I nearly cried. Missing it big time.

But there are a lot of people much worse off than me.

Still hurts!  I feel your pain....

• Thanks 1

Update on vaccine.....  This morning I received the first vaccination.  It is supposed to give the majority of immunity.  I go back in three weeks for a booster.  They will also test for antibodies at that time.

I thought I had the saline placebo as the injection burned a little but then it didn’t bother me at all for most of the day aside from a short headache right after the injection which could just be coincidental.

Later this afternoon, though, my arm started aching, pretty much like a tetanus shot, and got worse as the evening progressed.  I had done quite a bit of research prior to enrolling in the study. I knew that if it gets sore as time goes on, it’s because of the immune response kicking in and I have the vaccine as opposed to the saline placebo.  The saline stings a bit upon injection but quickly is absorbed into the body with no lasting aching.  Now, it hurts to lift my arm. I’ve never been so happy to have such a sore arm, yay!

I asked when the study would be “unblinded” by the FDA. They are figuring the end of September.  This is when they should receive FDA approval.  Between the three vaccines, the US has purchased enough doses for everyone in the country.  My study vaccine (Pfizer) will have 200 million doses ready to administer upon approval.  I think I drove them crazy with questions today.

If anyone is wondering, there is no live component to the vaccine so no risk of contracting COVID from the vaccine.  The injection and side effects are a piece of cake compared to shingrix.  They tested three dosages in phase one trials and settled on the middle dose which is what all of us in phase three are getting.  The highest dose had some side effects, similar to the shingles vaccine, which can be pretty unpleasant.  The middle dose provided complete immunity with few side effects.

The best news of the day is that basically 100% of the participants in phase one and two trials have antibodies that are more than sufficient to protect them from the virus.  

Hopefully, we will be sailing soon!  Anyone who takes the risk of not getting vaccinated has that right but it’s nice to know that even if someone were to get COVID on a sailing, I have my little card that says I’m in the study and once it’s unblinded, I’ll be able to prove that I’ve had the vaccine.  This way, I won’t be subjected to an extended quarantine. 

I’ll let everyone know what they say in three weeks when I go back.  It’s really interesting, and exciting for all of us!  If anyone thinks of questions I should ask when I go in for the booster, I’m all ears.  The more information we all have, the better!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2020 at 9:22 AM, Hawaiidan said:

the fear of it is even greater as is the media constant banging away  every  day brain washing us to doom and eternal gloom. 

You mean telling the true stories of colleges and high schools who are having outbreaks due to their behavior?

If you are having real depression over a vacation then I suggest that you get some therapy. Not just talking to the OP. Folks, the issue is a worldwide pandemic that is killing so many people. "Sailing"? A discretionary leisure thing to do, right? Mercy. What has this world come to?

Hello "the more ports the better"

I extend to you my gratitude.  Thank you first of all for participating in the clinical trial.  And second, thank you for sharing your experiences.  Our internist is also participating in the Pfizer trial.  We look forward to your updates.  We pray daily that help will come soon. 

Katie

13 hours ago, clo said:

You mean telling the true stories of colleges and high schools who are having outbreaks due to their behavior?

Some are true others may not..... statistics, outbreaks, forecasts.....   is prime for some to  spin things to  enhance angst and angst equals good ratings.    You , nor do I ,have any idea what is actually true or not . The media outlet's are in fierce competition to offer the best worst news for their own benefit...... and many are falling for it.

4 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Some are true others may not..... statistics, outbreaks, forecasts.....   is prime for some to  spin things to  enhance angst and angst equals good ratings.    You , nor do I ,have any idea what is actually true or not . The media outlet's are in fierce competition to offer the best worst news for their own benefit...... and many are falling for it.

Now, come on Dan. You don't have to rely on any cable news - be it MSNBC or Fox & Friends - to know just how bad things are here re:Covid.

There is a number of international data bases that will tell you that - like this one:

https://covid19.who.int/table

or any number of others. They are neither right or left leaning sources.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Now, come on Dan. You don't have to rely on any cable news - be it MSNBC or Fox & Friends - to know just how bad things are here re:Covid.

There is a number of international data bases that will tell you that - like this one:

https://covid19.who.int/table

or any number of others. They are neither right or left leaning sources.

the WHO........ is nothing but a political toy ...... financed by foreign governments with agendas...   Who  monitors the honesty of the WHO ?     Its just another media tool serving its interests or others.  I am not so gullible Paul

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

the WHO........ is nothing but a political toy ...... financed by foreign governments with agendas... 

Can you provide reputable and verifiable citations to support this claim? TIA.

31 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

the WHO........ is nothing but a political toy ...... financed by foreign governments with agendas...   Who  monitors the honesty of the WHO ?     Its just another media tool serving its interests or others.  I am not so gullible Paul

I said WHO is but one source - there are others.

Can you quote a source that offers statistically different data from those that the WHO is reporting (other than My Pillow Guy)?

Maybe nobody died of COVID in US and it's all just a hoax?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I said WHO is but one source - there are others.

Can you quote a source that offers statistically different data from those that the WHO is reporting (other than My Pillow Guy)?

Maybe nobody died of COVID in US and it's all just a hoax?

Well Paul I heard somewhere that Doctors are just writing down CV19 as cause of death on all older people because they want to look like heroes or something like that. I think it was on the Steve Bannon show. 

• Haha 2

So I finally booked a cruise..I am excited its something I really look forward to..October 2, 2021 25 days on Regatta from LA to Tokyo , right now Im looking forward to there being a vaccine and things being close to normal..at my age I usually dont buy green bananas but I really need something to have on my calendar...

jancruz1

18 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

So I finally booked a cruise..I am excited its something I really look forward to..October 2, 2021 25 days on Regatta from LA to Tokyo , right now Im looking forward to there being a vaccine and things being close to normal..at my age I usually dont buy green bananas but I really need something to have on my calendar...

jancruz1

I hope you get to do that cruise also 👍

You have to have something to look forward to in life

Hi to Stu

Stay well

Lyn