Canceled my next cruise today

jxtgreek

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Families are scraping by as it is. Limiting cabin capacity to 2 is going to be a deal breaker for many, including some of the thousands already booked. Carnival is a mass market family oriented cruise line and I don't see that changing. Upper middle class has never been Carnival's market and tends to be older. Younger seems to be a better risk for cruise lines during this pandemic

I think it would be foolish to not allow members of the same family (say two adults and their two kids) not to share a cabin.

9 minutes ago, Cushing985 said:

I do and I'm not even smart.  Cruising will start up again when there is a safe and effective vaccine.

According to your opinion. Or.... the virus could mutate into something harmless. Or there could be a treatment that could render the virus harmless. Or the virus could run its course. Nobody knows for sure.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 8:05 AM, jetsfan58 said:

Some of you may differ and say that Carnival wants us to keep booking so that they can continue to use our pre-paid dollars as a source of ready revenue? My loyalty outnumbers any motive that we can conceive. True team players don't abandon the "proverbial ship" because it is in temporary rough seas. 

Support and Believe in your Brand!!!

Cheer!!! Go Team Go!!

I've watched a few cruising episodes on the Travel Channel.  Most have said that the cost of operating the ship is covered by the cost of the tickets.  They get their profits from onboard spending.  With so many future people getting the $3-600 FCC, at what point will they no longer be making a profit and have to file bankruptcy.  

8 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

I've watched a few cruising episodes on the Travel Channel.  Most have said that the cost of operating the ship is covered by the cost of the tickets.  They get their profits from onboard spending.  With so many future people getting the $3-600 FCC, at what point will they no longer be making a profit and have to file bankruptcy.  

Exactly that money (OBC) needs to come from somewhere. The pax on board spending (out of their pocket) not the Cruise lines. 

• Thanks 1

I think you are likely to see the base fare to get on the ship stay competitive. They kinda have to since there will be more capacity than passengers. 

But, you are going to see "airline style fees" for everything else. Here are a few I have come up with.

1. Main Dining Room will be a fee area.

2. Luggage check in fee for more than 2 suitcases per passenger.

3. Luggage delivery fee per bag unless you do the self carry off. (This will be fun with elevator capacity controls).

4. Show room seating fee. Prices will vary based on location.

5. Gym peak usage fee between 7-10am.

Suite passengers will get reduced rates or free.

Seems silly but the airlines did it

I really don't foresee Carnival going to an RCL or Airline style "a la carte" menu pricing. Unless you initiated these structures prior to the outbreak, consumers will feel and possible exhibit displeasure the "gouge" effect. At this stage of the re-entry game any/all movement toward price nuances and/or increase will certainly minimize consume expectations.  

On 8/15/2020 at 9:05 AM, jetsfan58 said:

Some of you may differ and say that Carnival wants us to keep booking so that they can continue to use our pre-paid dollars as a source of ready revenue? My loyalty outnumbers any motive that we can conceive. True team players don't abandon the "proverbial ship" because it is in temporary rough seas. 

Support and Believe in your Brand!!!

I'm in the boat with you on this. We are not wealthy, rather firmly in the middle of the middle class. We've worked hard, lived within our means, and saved for the future. The future is now upon us, and we've chosen cruising as our absolute favorite type of vacation. Can we afford to lose money on the 2 cruises that have been cancelled? Not really.... But we are willing to chance it by rolling it into a cruise more than a year away. It's not like that $1000+ is going to earn big interest or whatnot sitting in my bank. It's my way of letting them use that money now to help insure that cruising will resume. I know it's not much, and perhaps I'm being naive to think my piddly amount means much.... But that's how we've decided to proceed for now.

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I think you are likely to see the base fare to get on the ship stay competitive. They kinda have to since there will be more capacity than passengers. 

But, you are going to see "airline style fees" for everything else. Here are a few I have come up with.

1. Main Dining Room will be a fee area.

2. Luggage check in fee for more than 2 suitcases per passenger.

3. Luggage delivery fee per bag unless you do the self carry off. (This will be fun with elevator capacity controls).

4. Show room seating fee. Prices will vary based on location.

5. Gym peak usage fee between 7-10am.

Suite passengers will get reduced rates or free.

Seems silly but the airlines did it

The airlines are in a different business is your first mistake.

6 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

The OBCs are simply marketing to help get people cruising again sooner rather than later. They are only being offered as long as cruises are being cancelled and are not stackable. So far it has cost Carnival almost nothing. OBC is like monopoly money. I bet a lot of people run through it and then keep spending. I also think maybe 50% of the cruisers won't have any, so they will be spending their own money from the beginning. 

Carnival's profit may take a small hit, but not as much as if people aren't cruising.

10 minutes ago, ober134 said:

I'm in the boat with you on this. We are not wealthy, rather firmly in the middle of the middle class. We've worked hard, lived within our means, and saved for the future. The future is now upon us, and we've chosen cruising as our absolute favorite type of vacation. Can we afford to lose money on the 2 cruises that have been cancelled? Not really.... But we are willing to chance it by rolling it into a cruise more than a year away. It's not like that $1000+ is going to earn big interest or whatnot sitting in my bank. It's my way of letting them use that money now to help insure that cruising will resume. I know it's not much, and perhaps I'm being naive to think my piddly amount means much.... But that's how we've decided to proceed for now.

Thanks for the alignment. I am a true loyalist when it comes to specific brands. We have always been true consumers of brands that provide a true product for a valued price. Those manufacturers and corporations that are concerned solely with "profitability" have never had the opportunity to relish in my frugal spending.   

My family has specific deodorant brands, shampoos, foods and even the now "scarce" toilet tissues. I hear the Carnival opposition very loud and clear. Is Carnival a perfect brand; absolutely "no". There is no such "perfect" anything other than our Creator. Someone somewhere asked if I have ever cruised and if I am a Carnival employee? I guess they can't understand why I believe in this Brand. Yes I have been cruising for decades with Carnival but have not been offered a "Job".