French Balconies on Motor Yachts

Petoonya

Depends on the itinerary. If it’s port intensive or a cold itinerary probably not. On sea days I enjoy the breeze of opening the door or if there are a lot of things to see it’s nice to step out because you can see up to the front of the ship and towards the back. We’ve been given it as an upgrade several times and enjoyed it. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, r&rd said:

Depends on the itinerary. If it’s port intensive or a cold itinerary probably not. On sea days I enjoy the breeze of opening the door or if there are a lot of things to see it’s nice to step out because you can see up to the front of the ship and towards the back. We’ve been given it as an upgrade several times and enjoyed it. 

Don't think I'd pay for it, though.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Do you feel the French balcony adds value?  [$1,200 per person on an 8 day cruise]

We have done Alaska twice on the Legend and were so pleased that we had the French balcony.  Some of my best photographs were taken from the balcony.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 5:29 PM, r&rd said:

Another consideration now a day is if you end up getting quarantined on a ship and have to stay in your cabin would you want a balcony door you can open? 

That's my reasoning too. 

On Silversea we always booked the Vista cabin (no balcony) but I will never do that again. 

We had a balcony on the Breeze for an Aruba to Costa Rica trip in December 2018. Our original booking was for a standard room but we were able to take advantage of a price drop to change rooms and save money at the same time.

There was enough room to stand on the little ledge. It was even possible to somewhat sit, wedged into a corner, if one wanted. I enjoyed opening the doors every evening to watch the seas as we were getting ready for bed and again to watch our arrivals into port or anchorage.

We were supposed to have been on the Breeze this summer in Alaska and I’d also booked a balcony, even with knowledge of cooler, wetter weather. The ability to step out, even by a foot, was important.

(For reference, we selected an original layout with the sitting area by the balcony. )

Sent from my iPhone using Forums