Everything... project Leonardo/Prima class!

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Thank you - I always wondered in the dry dock how they got it to stand up without tipping over, but was afraid to look stupid in asking. Now I see it's got a base to sit on and keep it level.

Yup, they use concrete blocks. And with the help of divers they even can make last second adjustments with wooden struts/stakes when settling the ship on the supports. Although I don't know if that is standard.

And please, do ask the next time. We have a lot of knowledge among all the members here on CC and can learn from each other, helping others is giving back what others may have learned here too. And especially in an Everything thread we all are learning and exploring. :classic_happy:

And helping others sure beats the tipping threads! :classic_smile:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 1:23 PM, FreestyleNovice said:

Yup, they use concrete blocks. And with the help of divers they even can make last second adjustments with wooden struts/stakes when settling the ship on the supports. Although I don't know if that is standard.

Most keel blocks are a combination of concrete on the bottom and about a half meter of hardwood on the top.  Usually, there is a "cap" of softwood about an inch or so thick on top to allow for crush.  I've never heard of shimming a ship with divers.  When the blocks are placed, they are surveyed to be as perfectly level as possible, and the ship should set on these without "adjustment", even if in the current loaded condition the ship is "hogging" (the bow and stern hanging lower than the middle) or "sagging" (the opposite), as the ship was designed to be straight.  Divers are almost universally used to determine that the ship is sitting correctly on the blocks (they are in the right locations under the frames of the hull, and not covering any openings).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, gardening_guy said:

No new photos of Prima for 2 weeks now?  Your slipping Freestyle..vreselijk…lol

Heh, it's been dreadfully slow and quiet on social media.. 

All I found is an out of focus snap shot made by a from a trucker's decorated cabin, showing no slides yet.. :classic_laugh:

241132297_1288562421582879_8748819067578826187_n.jpg

• Like 3

It appears that the August 2022 Amsterdam to Iceland sailing has now sold out.

It only had limited cabins available and has now disappeared from the NCL site. People who have called have been told that it is sold out, which I would be sceptical of if it wasn't for the previous low availability.

8 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

It appears that the August 2022 Amsterdam to Iceland sailing has now sold out.

It only had limited cabins available and has now disappeared from the NCL site. People who have called have been told that it is sold out, which I would be sceptical of if it wasn't for the previous low availability.

Industry invitations? Workers?

It sure was pricey, not one just for the fun of it price range.:classic_blink: Curious how it will work out! Thanks for the update Keith!

8 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Industry invitations? Workers?

It sure was pricey, not one just for the fun of it price range.:classic_blink: Curious how it will work out! Thanks for the update Keith!

I didn’t find it too expensive, to be honest. When waiting for the prices to come out we were anticipating having to book an Oceanview, but ended up going for a club suite once we had checked the prices.

Per day it is about the same price as the Jade next Easter.

There are lots of the usual crowd booked. Many of the people I know from new ship transatlantics are booked, as well as lots of Europeans who don’t usually have the opportunity of being on early sailings.

For is it was the only option due to holidays.

• Like 1

Of course, when I talk about the prices for that cruise I’m referring to the initial price. I think that lots of people booked relatively early, but more recent bookers are paying a lot more. When I last looked, insides were selling about what we paid. I haven’t been able to make a direct comparison as the club suites sold out in the first couple of days.

• Like 1

Yep, I for one was busy juggling with a March '22 Royal Caribbean cruise and another on Celebrity.

An Amsterdam sail away is high on the list so perhaps I might squeeze Prima in but it will be last-minute and the itinerary also justifies an higher price. I am thinking too much in terms of short taster sailings for the last new builds we've had heh.. :classic_happy:

On 5/9/2021 at 12:36 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Does anyone else think that those large forward-facing staterooms will have Haven access?

Just booked the large forward facing suite w/large balcony on Prima Deck 9. It is not considered part of the Haven, but does offer a butler, concierge, etc. and other amenities similar to the Haven, but just not access to the Haven pool, sundeck, restaurant, etc. It is a category below the Haven, but above a Club Balcony suite (if that makes sense). The cabin/balcony is huge. Can't wait.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, barb65 said:

Just booked the large forward facing suite w/large balcony on Prima Deck 9. It is not considered part of the Haven, but does offer a butler, concierge, etc. and other amenities similar to the Haven, but just not access to the Haven pool, sundeck, restaurant, etc. It is a category below the Haven, but above a Club Balcony suite (if that makes sense). The cabin/balcony is huge. Can't wait.

I didn’t realise there were cabins like this on the Prima.

This type of suite features on the Jewel class ships, but the Haven on them is very basic compared to later ones. These suites outside the Haven offered everything that a Haven suite does except access to the Haven itself (so you basically lose out on the pool and sundeck). However they use somewhere like Cagneys for the Suite restaurant so you still get them.

When the Epic came along they allowed everyone access to the Haven, regardless of where their suite is, so everyone still had access to the restaurant and bar. This change on the Prima ends this, and for many they would be missing out on a big part of staying in a suite.

On the other hand, if you just want the bigger room then I assume you are getting that for a lot less than the Haven costs. If that does show in the pricing I would certainly consider them.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:38 AM, FreestyleNovice said:

Oh and that slide ending on the Blvd render never reappeared unfortunately? :classic_blush:

Do you mean this rendering? (Hopefully it shows up properly this time)

This was from an architectural firm's website in their portfolio. It's the only one I found of Prima unfortunately.

beach club.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nikitasmilesnotfrowns said:

Do you mean this rendering? (Hopefully it shows up properly this time)

This was from an architectural firm's website in their portfolio. It's the only one I found of Prima unfortunately.

beach club.jpg

Pic works for me! I normally don't quote photos but this is the one yes, thanks a million. :classic_biggrin: I never saved it properly apparently.

And also thanks for the definite answer on whether there was more goodie stuff. :classic_happy:

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Pic works for me! I normally don't quote photos but this is the one yes, thanks a million. :classic_biggrin: I never saved it properly apparently.

And also thanks for the definite answer on whether there was more goodie stuff. :classic_happy:

My pleasure! I'll continue keeping an eye out for new renderings and post em here if I find any 🙂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I keep rechecking the pricing for my Sept 2023 sailing and the price just keeps going up for my cabin. So I'll count myself lucky for locking in early and on the 'right' deck that still has the hot tub (for now).

This is the exact reason I don't think I will be on Prima until Leo2 hits the water.  It's just too big a difference from all the other ships in NCL on similar sailings (In terms of price point).  I am going to probably do at least one MSC and one Celebrity to compare suite offerings and then come back after that.  If it is still too high, I will always love the Away and Away-plus ships, so I guess I will be fine.  🙂

Edited by oteixeira

51 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It looks to me, in the lower photo, that the "fence" in the foreground is the required shower for the adjacent pool.

If you look just to the right of the pool you can see the shower attached to the pool next to the pool steps.