This does not add up

quattrohead

Officials at Port Canaveral don’t know when the cruise lines will actually return to sailing, suggesting no cruises from the port until at least January, and then only four ships sailing at 50% capacity - one ship from each company. So who of Disney, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian or MSC are going to be sailing from here ?

My Armonia from Tampa in December cruise has supposedly been switched to the Seaside from Port Canaveral but still shows a 3 day instead of a 7 day trip.

I just don't trust this situation.

14 hours ago, drsel said:

But I am afraid that no one really knows what the situation will be from any ports in the US

The CDC hearing comments close end of September.  Normally 90days to get finalized or longer. Till that and cruise line acceptance nothing happens.  Also need borders to open and airlines to resume.  All that needs a BIG drop in COVID cases that is not likely with flu season just a month away.

Any date is pure speculation.

They are "projecting" the worst case scenario so that IF they start earlier or have more revenue from ships starting back up it looks better on the books.  Always aim low and over perform (It's the basic rule of wall street reporting as well it seems).

8 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Port Canaveral Projects Limited Cruising Will Not Resume Till 2021

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/port-canaveral-projects-limited-cruising-will-not-resume-till-2021

The Port Canaveral's CEO's report to his Board makes good sense to me.  Very realistic, I think.  

17 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Also need borders to open and airlines to resume. .

What do you mean “airlines to resume”? They have been operating this whole time. I’ve been flying for work on a weekly basis throughout the pandemic. Every week, I see more and more passengers passing through the airport. 

On 8/28/2020 at 9:23 AM, drsel said:

MSc armonia and Divina are available at fabulous prices of 51 to 55 dollars per person per night

The deals are insane. I found 3 or 4 night cruises aboard the Seaside starting at $59 TOTAL for an inside cabin in 2021. Don’t know if it will happen, but I couldn’t pass it up. Booked a back to back. Grand total for 7 nights in a balcony stateroom is $165 plus $98 tax. Doesn’t get much cheaper. 

B63F0E74-CAD8-4493-8C42-421A43FA1724.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

I read the article. It seems to me like the information contained is mostly about expectations and speculations rather than factual rules and regulations that have been determined for Port Canaveral. It could be more, it could be less. Unfortunately, it seems like all we can do at the present time is speculate as we’ve been doing for months, and that’s what this article is doing. We will know what’s really going to happen when it happens. 

Edited by Tapi

1 hour ago, Tapi said:

What do you mean “airlines to resume”? They have been operating this whole time. I’ve been flying for work on a weekly basis throughout the pandemic. Every week, I see more and more passengers passing through the airport. 

Domestic flights are at about only 40%.  To clarify, many cruises require International flights.  Can you fly to Vancouver BC for a cruise?  How about most of Europe?  How about even visiting Canada.

International flights for tourism are few.

8 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Domestic flights are at about only 40%.  To clarify, many cruises require International flights.  Can you fly to Vancouver BC for a cruise?  How about most of Europe?  How about even visiting Canada.

Majority of cruisers out of us ports are us citizens.   It has been said by rcl that they expect cruising in the us to start up with passengers that are able to drive to port to limit possible exposure on mass transportation.   I believe it is Tui that is chartering flights for their cruise passengers.  

So far msc grandiosa has had 2 weeks of successful cruises with no reports of covid on board.   Costa and aida start up in september.  

It gives me a feeling of hope as each cruiseline restarts.  I wish them all the best as I cannot wait to board a ship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

It’s true that international travel by air from the USA is limited at this time, and its currently lagging behind domestic travel, but Port Canaveral isn’t affected as much since majority of cruisers from this port of embarkation are US citizens traveling domestically, who either drive or fly. Although flight schedules are more limited, there’s plenty of capacity to accommodate the current number of passengers. 

Edited by Tapi

On 8/29/2020 at 6:31 PM, Tapi said:

The deals are insane. I found 3 or 4 night cruises aboard the Seaside starting at $59 TOTAL for an inside cabin in 2021. Don’t know if it will happen, but I couldn’t pass it up. Booked a back to back. Grand total for 7 nights in a balcony stateroom is $165 plus $98 tax. Doesn’t get much cheaper. 

B63F0E74-CAD8-4493-8C42-421A43FA1724.jpeg

This deal didn't last long....bummer!

1 hour ago, 3dogmom said:

This deal didn't last long....bummer!

Woah! I just went on the MSC website. So glad I booked when I booked! 

• Like 1