Sovereign Of The Seas

This is a very sad day for our family, the end of an era in cruising which will never be repeated.  The Sovereign of The Seas has reached the dismantling yard in Turkey and soon will be no more.   We spent years cruising on the Sovereign out of Port Canaveral, celebrating everything from birthdays, anniversaries, first cruises, graduations, you name it.   Our family has cruised on many ships and many cruise lines, but our fondest memories were made on the Sovereign.  We will miss its small ship size and friendly crew.  Weekend trips to Nassua and Coco Cay. The quirky 1/2 6th deck, carpeted pool decks and the never working clock sculpture in the Atrium.  Thankfully our photos and videos will be reminders of this wonderful ship forever.  We will miss you Sovereign of The Seas.  May you rest in peace.

74819E57-0C1F-468D-8086-857A682FA9B0.png

8AF1CAFA-C19C-4DD4-9ABC-5713484C4DC7.jpeg

• Like 1

We also loved it and today it would be considered small but when it first sailed it was the largest cruise ship in the world. Got engaged on her 30 years ago, definitely one of my all time favorites over the approx 30 ships I have sailed . 

I never sailed on the Sovereign, but I sailed on the Monarch and Majesty many times.  In fact, I was on the Majesty when cruising came to a halt in March.  Seeing those pictures and having sailed the Majesty in March, it is very very sad.  Majesty is currently sailing by Greece and will soon join Empress at a Greek island.  Now the two oldest Royal ships will be close to Turkey and hopefully that is only a coincidence. 

25 minutes ago, George C said:

We also loved it and today it would be considered small but when it first sailed it was the largest cruise ship in the world. Got engaged on her 30 years ago, definitely one of my all time favorites over the approx 30 ships I have sailed . 

Agree, was one of first in 1988 to get on the Sovereign, largest Cruise Ship in the World and first Mega-Cruise sized Ship. Also my kids first Cruise was on her. Enjoyed looking down on the NCL, Carnival and Princess Love Boat sized ships. Some those were holding about same number passengers as 1 to 1 1/2 Oasis Life Boat's

Edited by ONECRUISER

32 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, was one of first in 1988 to get on the Sovereign, largest Cruise Ship in the World and first Mega-Cruise sized Ship. Also my kids first Cruise was on her. Enjoyed looking down on the NCL, Carnival and Princess Love Boat sized ships. Some those were holding about same number passengers as 1 to 1 1/2 Oasis Life Boat's

After Sovereign became the biggest ship the SS Norway added a deck to become slightly larger and we did our honeymoon on one of the new junior suites on the new deck in 1991. Both ships were great.

Just now, George C said:

After Sovereign became the biggest ship the SS Norway added a deck to become slightly larger and we did our honeymoon on one of the new junior suites on the new deck in 1991. Both ships were great.

Until Sovereign came out Norway was to be my Honeymoon Ship, would have been lot cheaper. Paid travel agent $3650 in 1988 for Deck 2 tiny Port Hole cabin on Sovereign. Done multiple NCL Cruises on other ships, enjoyed the bottled MtDew soda pop vending machines. Though now stick with Royal, hard beat the Discounts(SOLO+340/Military/Balcony), and enjoy Brilliance Class doing 10+ niters in my Corner/Aft Cabin

28 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Done multiple NCL Cruises on other ships, enjoyed the bottled MtDew soda pop vending machines. Though now stick with Royal, hard beat the Discounts(SOLO+340/Military/Balcony), and enjoy Brilliance Class doing 10+ niters in my Corner/Aft Cabin

Like you, I had done several NCL cruises.  One day while cruising Norwegian Sea, DW and I looked across the dock at Monarch in Nassau, were awed by all the green glass, and DW said "I want to cruise that ship next."  We did, and became permanent RCI fans as a result.  It's sad to see pictures of that ship being dismantled on a beach in Turkey.  😟

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Until Sovereign came out Norway was to be my Honeymoon Ship, would have been lot cheaper. Paid travel agent $3650 in 1988 for Deck 2 tiny Port Hole cabin on Sovereign. Done multiple NCL Cruises on other ships, enjoyed the bottled MtDew soda pop vending machines. Though now stick with Royal, hard beat the Discounts(SOLO+340/Military/Balcony), and enjoy Brilliance Class doing 10+ niters in my Corner/Aft Cabin

Love corner aft grand suite we had 1600 on brilliance of the seas for our 12 night Europe cruise 4 years ago. Currently either do rccl , Celebrity or msc yacht club.

• Like 1

We had many wonderful cruises on Sovereign. Our first Sovereign Cruise was in 2002, and through 2008 we sailed Sovereign  23 times. No we don’t live in Florida, but were younger then and willing  to make an 8 hour drive for just a weekend cruise. 

We were fortunate to often book cabin 9028 (I think that is the correct number ) which was the only balcony on deck nine.  All the other cabins on that deck were an SOV cabin.  

We sailed the last Sovereign weekend cruise and are fortunate to have a commemorative certificate, a crystal block but most importantly fantastic memories. 

m

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We were fortunate to often book cabin 9028 (I think that is the correct number ) which was the only balcony on deck nine.  All the other cabins on that deck were an SOV cabin.  

Ah, the bonus balcony on deck 9!  I remember that.  It was like a Cruise Critic secret because the deck plans didn't show it, and even the RCI reps didn't know about it.  😁

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Ah, the bonus balcony on deck 9!  I remember that.  It was like a Cruise Critic secret because the deck plans didn't show it, and even the RCI reps didn't know about it.  😁

And, if you were eligible, it qualified for the C&A balcony discount. It was priced as an SOV, the same as all the others on deck 9, had the only balcony and with the C&A benefit was a real treat!  And yes-the agents didn’t have a clue that it was different from all the other SOV cabins. They always had to follow up with someone in order to apply the discount 

m

• 4 months later...

A piece of trivia: the bottle of champagne now known as a Sovereign contains 35 standard bottles of champagne. It was created for the christening or naming ceremony of the Sovereign of the Seas and was manufactured by Taittinger. Only 10 were made. One was kept on display onboard the Sovereign and I’m assuming that RCI kept it for their archives; 2 broke; 1 was used at the ceremony; I’m sure Taittinger kept one.