Considering Silversea -- Have Questions

ggo85

We have historically cruised primarily Celebrity and Crystal (and, in our younger days, RCCL).  Frequent cruise.  Not really into mingling -- want to relax and see new (or familiar) parts of the world.  In our late 50s/early 70s and active (as in like to walk/explore but not into kayaking, bicycling).  

Our TA has recommended Silversea for 2021 -- we would be on the Whisper.  Two questions.

For anyone who has done Celebrity and/or Crystal, what are the biggest differences (pros/cons)?

She has recommended a Medallion Suite.  I've looked at it online and in cruisedeckplans.com but would welcome comments from anyone who has stayed in it.  What are the benefits/drawbacks of moving up or down a category, other than space and cost -- i.e., any significant perks?

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, ggo85 said:

We have historically cruised primarily Celebrity and Crystal (and, in our younger days, RCCL).  Frequent cruise.  Not really into mingling -- want to relax and see new (or familiar) parts of the world.  Two questions.   For anyone who has done Celebrity and/or Crystal, what are the biggest differences (pros/cons)?  She has recommended a Medallion Suite.  What are the benefits/drawbacks of moving up or down a category, other than space and cost -- i.e., any significant perks?

Welcome to the Silversea CC Board and these excellent questions.  We have done two Celebrity Solstice sailings and one on the Crystal Symphony for the Baltics/Russia.  By contrast, we have completed six sailings with Silversea.  The most recent is details with many pix's, etc., from last summer on the Silver Muse.  The biggest differences?  Size and destinations!!  Being smaller, the Silversea "connection" with the excellent staff and other passengers is more "personal".  Especially on longer cruises, that ability to interact with others can be a major plus compared to larger ship with many more passengers.  

Having done the Amazon, Africa, Norway, Alaska, etc., with Silversea we have super enjoyed their wider variety of ports and stops compared to what some larger ships can or do  offer.  As to suite size, we have not felt the need to spend more for these larger cabins.  Most of the "regular-sized" suites are fairly roomy and very nice.  Plus, all cabins with Silversea get the "Butler" and an excellent level of service.  Because the Silversea ships are smaller, it fairly easy to get around, up-and-down on board, etc.  For us, we do not feel the need to spends lots more to upgrade in cabin size. We like to focus our "extra dollars" in order to maximize our more creative and/or private shore adventures.  Most of our time is spent either on shore and/or in the various, comfortable public/open areas of the ship.  

We also love that for dining, the quality is very, very good.  And, highly flexible to satisfy custom special requests that are not on the menu for that evening if you let the know a day ahead   Plus, the proportions are not too big, allowing more room for dessert and not feeling too stuffed.  Of course right now, the future for Crystal is much in doubt with their challenged corporate ownership in question.  

As to downsides, being smaller means that Silversea might not offer the range and types of evening entertainment as to what can be done on larger ships such as Celebrity. 

Need more?  Added questions?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on the Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

• Like 1

I cannot consider myself an Silversea expert, but ....
Our last cruises were on the smaller end ships (Shadow / Wind) with lesser dining options. Next cruise in on the Spirit which has more so, that maybe something you may wish to consider.
On the last cruise SS offered us a good deal on an upgrade to a Medallion suite. The offer came via the TA who basically said unless you spend a great deal of time n your suite then ‘don’t bother’.
Like you we are at that age ... my son tells me my age is now greater than my IQ .... and we feel that SS ticks all the boxes.
Have had great customer service .. which is always a good point.

• Like 1

While the Medallion suite is nicer than the veranda, I prefer the slightly larger silver suites due to their location.  I always look at the deck plan to see what is above me, and the Medallion suites, although convenient to the elevators are right below the pool deck.

Hi, I sailed with Celebrity for nearly 15 years and for the past 3 I have sailed with SS......as much as I enjoyed

X, (and I really did), there is no comparison between the lines.......SS ships are MUCH smaller and in my opinion,

the food and service are top notch.......and it is just the entire ambiance is different....very relaxed.  I have found

the itineraries excellent and you mentioned The Whisper. I sailed her as well and have a 2021 cruise booked on her

too!  I am 62 and sail on my own.  The cabins are larger, service is better and I love the food😃.  

Hope this helps a little bit😃 and hoping the 2021 cruise will actually be able to sail!

We have done several SilverSea cruises. Had a fine time always. The the ships and the cruises are not perfect. But along with Seabourn my first choice for my next cruise would be SilverSea. My big concern, however, is how the cruise lines emerge from the virus. I want cruises like the old days. That's not going to happen overnight. My attitude right now is watch and wait and put no money down on any future cruise until we know a lot more. LittleRedJohn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We too are looking at our first Silverseas cruise in November next year.Im looking at a basic veranda.Feel there is no need to have more space and a coffee machine.Im assuming their tours are quite pricey.like all cruise companies,so do passengers tend to sort out private tours prior to sailing as on other ships?Thank you for all your valid info.

Hi, depends on the tour.......I have used their tours over the years and in my opinion, they haven't been too

pricey. Also, I sail on my own and it is always a nice way to meet others and another positive thing is, due to

so many less guests, their tours have less people too.

And I always get the basic veranada as well. It is more than large enough.......and I LOVE the walk in closet!😃

I have done private tours over the years but as a solo cruiser, I can't always find folks to share them with.......so 

I go with the cruise line. 

As for the dining room? The main one is just walk up.  The Specialty restaurants? I would suggest reservations. 

19 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

We too are looking at our first Silverseas cruise in November next year.Im looking at a basic veranda. Feel there is no need to have more space and a coffee machine.Im assuming their tours are quite pricey. like all cruise companies,so do passengers tend to sort out private tours prior to sailing as on other ships? Thank you for all your valid info.

Appreciate your very good comments and follow-up questions.  Agree that a "basic veranda" can work well and offer solid value.  Bigger is nice, but is the "value" worth it?  As ship excursions, our experiences in doing six cruises have been, compared to some other cruise lines, that Silversea does not mark up, UP their tour prices that much more.  They are higher in cost, but NOT doubled as some cruise lines practice and impose.  Also, Silversea tends to avoid packing too full their tour buses

We have done many private tours as we desired a more "in-depth" and/or specialized level of activities.  Also in doing private tours, we like having more of a "CONVERSATION" with our guides, learning more details and not just getting a canned speech for what we are seeing and experiencing.  In comparing private vs. ship tours, it also depends as to whether your are traveling as a single, with a partner and/or another couple.  If you have a group of four, it tends to be more cost-efficient (and FUN!!) to being a smaller group.  

For the future, as cruise lines seek to recover from millions of dollars in losses, it is hard to predict how Silversea and others will price their tours.  It could be similar to what we experienced in the past.  Or, prices could jump significantly??   Many, many unknowns!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 240,380 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

4 hours ago, janecambridge said:

We too are looking at our first Silverseas cruise in November next year.Im looking at a basic veranda.Feel there is no need to have more space and a coffee machine.Im assuming their tours are quite pricey.like all cruise companies,so do passengers tend to sort out private tours prior to sailing as on other ships?Thank you for all your valid info.

I, Personally first look at all of the ships tours, then I check out The private tours on the likes of viator or getyourguide dot com and decide from there. l’m very much a planner that likes to live every minute of my holiday to the full. Most big companies offer reassurances such as return to port in time or late cancellation due to ships not being able to dock due to weather, just choose them carefully according to their t&cs. 

19 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Answers to your queries based upon our lengthy experience with SS.Suites .....we were recommended Vista suite for our first cruise and stuck with Midship Vista for 22 years.We like the outdoor areas on the Pool Deck always quiet and peaceful unless a rare special event is taking place.Handy for the Bar and Grill for excellent outdoor eating when required........hence no need for a Balcony suite which gives the Vista suites more actual suite space which suits us for the little time we spend in it.With regard to Tours the position changed yesterday according to an article in the British Press re the resumption of cruising.The article stated that when cruising resumes passengers will only be allowed to disembark on Cruise Line Excursions only due to the Covid situation.We have always preferred to do our own thing in exploring the port and surrounds independently.If this became the norm for Silversea cruising we would not be cruising again until full normality returned .Would be interested to know what is planned for Nov 2021 cruise in view of today’s press comments.

Thanks for all the replies.  Very helpful and much appreciated.

The MSC cruise in Italy at sea now limited shore excursions to ship tours only.  It makes sense at the outset b/c it limits interaction with people ashore which limits the ability to catch the virus.  Not lost is that it's a money maker for the cruise line.  I would expect this to be the norm at the outset and unless/until cruise lines can prove they can sail without becoming vectors for spread.  As with everything Covid, if things go well, restrictions will almost certainly loosen.  

• Like 1

On the basis that a veranda suite and a vista suite are, internally, the same size, we decided to book a vista for our Spirit cruise next September, but when the hoohaa started and people were ‘confined to quarters’ we upgraded to a veranda. Being cooped up would send me stir crazy so having the veranda would improve the outlook so to speak.

• Like 1

I'd go for Deck 5 and as far midships as possible, but then I like to be able to get back to my room in the evening from the bar without having to negotiate too many obstacles. You can also slip into ( and out of) the show lounge from the bar on deck 5 without having to go via the main entrance on deck 6 , which can be an advantage. One flight of stairs to dinner and 2 to breakfast, thought the same can be said of Deck 6 but the other way round.

The OP mentioned a Medallion Suite - we were once transferred to a Medallion mid-voyage because our Veranda suite  needed something inexplicable done to it . As well as more space, we enjoyed the fact that the balcony in the Medallion does not have other balconies on either side so it is very private.

I don't think there are any bad suites, apart, perhaps, from the very posh ones right at the front. On board friends in those complained that in the lower ones, they got a lot of movement and were woken early with the noise of capstans anchors etc and in the higher ones, they got a lot of movement and the sound of crew talking and walking around on the Bridge, especially coming into port. I was slightly smug that we were in a bog standard veranda .

Rp 

• Like 1

We were on the Shadow late last year, in 708, the deck above but in the same location ‘stability wise’.
We experienced no motion problems .... not that I am prone to anything like that. All the suites you mentioned are well away from any public spaces so there should not be a noise issue. Also you are ... well should be ... far enough up not to be disturbed by any anchoring. Famous last words🤭
Small ship ... everything is within easy distance.
I wouldn’t have an issue with any of them.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 9:42 AM, ggo85 said:

We have historically cruised primarily Celebrity and Crystal (and, in our younger days, RCCL).  Frequent cruise.  Not really into mingling -- want to relax and see new (or familiar) parts of the world.  In our late 50s/early 70s and active (as in like to walk/explore but not into kayaking, bicycling).  

Our TA has recommended Silversea for 2021 -- we would be on the Whisper.  Two questions.

For anyone who has done Celebrity and/or Crystal, what are the biggest differences (pros/cons)?

She has recommended a Medallion Suite.  I've looked at it online and in cruisedeckplans.com but would welcome comments from anyone who has stayed in it.  What are the benefits/drawbacks of moving up or down a category, other than space and cost -- i.e., any significant perks?

Thanks in advance!

Just a comment (hopefully without starting a different discussion) - another difference is the dress "code".  SS is much more formal than Celebrity and regularly enforced.  (Just search dress code and you'll get more than enough info, discussions, opinions, etc)

Edited by mitz18
spelling

On 9/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, eastwoodboy said:

There is no 696 but 658 is our cabin of choice, the 60? Numbers you show are too far forward for us. The same applies to deck 5 although never been on that deck the higher the number the better.

Oops.slip of finger should read 606.🤦‍♀️

Edited by janecambridge

2 hours ago, alexandria said:

Silversea may well have removed that benefit from the sailing.

Yesterday they reduced the FCC for cruises they cancel from 125% to 110%, effective immediately.  So it appears some belt tightening is going on.

On the ‘Cruise with no confidence policy’ I see the wording has now changed to ‘up to 110%’. How long now before it’s 105% or even 100% only.