#1. Specialty Dining Reservations

pinotlover

Last night was able to make Reservations for the Specialty Restaurants for our upcoming November cruise. For the Nanny NoNos, I doubt the cruise will sail, but went through the drill. This is NOT a Covid thread!

Our Cruise is twenty (20) days in a PH on Sirena. We therefore received three (3) reservations in each of the two Specialties.

A few observations from the process.

1. Sharing is still allowed. It is obvious that cruisers will not be limited to two tops.

2. Additional dining times for each evening have been added. On some evenings 6:00 start times were listed , but not on other evenings. More thirty (30) minutes spacing of start times than in the past across the board. 

3. The system is absolutely strict on division of dining options. The calendar was broken down into two (2) ten day segments. The system would not allow me to make more than three reservations in either segment. I had wanted a 2/4 split, but was blocked by the system, only 3/3 allowed.

It is obvious these adjustments were made to space people out and to accommodate physical distancing. Once aboard, it will be interesting to see how the GDR and Terrace are handled. In the past, I’ve seen the line for the GDR start to form at 6:00 and stretch past the elevators. I’m guessing an onboard reservation system, but time will tell. Locally, we have a nationally famous BBQ buffet. Post Covid, I know their new protocols. If similar changes are made aboard, it will alter a lot of actions and behaviors. That will be determined later also. Just wanted to give an update on what is currently for sure. 

I make zero assumptions on future protocols. This is especially the case if attempting to compare to past practices. The past is gone. We are all starting out equal as to knowledge of anything aboard. We’ll all learn anew as we go.
🥂

• Like 1

In the past, I have only seen 6:00 reservations available on short cruises to ensure everyone gets their guaranteed number of reservations.  This is the first time I’ve personally seen them on a longer cruise. 

Some will obviously be happy to eat as early as possible, so, if there priority still has them available, they will be snapped up quickly.

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

3. The system is absolutely strict on division of dining options. The calendar was broken down into two (2) ten day segments. The system would not allow me to make more than three reservations in either segment. I had wanted a 2/4 split, but was blocked by the system, only 3/3 allowed.

It is obvious these adjustments were made to space people out and to accommodate physical distancing.

Our 20 day cruise last winter required us to space out reservations and only do some in the second half of cruise. I don't think that's new. As I recall, there's something about the extra added dining reservations must be in the second half of cruise. Check the cruise's dining tab's reservation description when logged into your O account .

Dan;

They were always required to be spaced out. That wasn’t my point entirely. It was the new ( to me ) strictness I hadn’t seen before. If 12/1, for example,  was Day 10 and 12/2 was Day 11 of twenty days, they were on different calendars. It didn’t matter that I already had reservations on Day 3, 7, 13, 15, & 18; which I would consider spread out. Now that last reservation must come only between day 1 and 10. I couldn’t choose between Day 10 & 11. I just never remembered it being so precise. Perhaps it was, just don’t recall it , so mentioned it.

6 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

Pinot, I do hope your November cruise is a 'go'!  Because if yours goes, our December one will be sailing as well!  We're sailing from Miami; how about you?

Donna

I hope your plans work out, but unfortunately any particular cruise sailing doesn't mean another will be. Some countries may permit cruising on some cruise lines by passengers from certain countries, as is the case in Italy right now,  while other countries may not permit cruising at all or limit cruising to certain itineraries or passengers. For at least the next few months cruise operations are going to be hit or miss and cruise lines are planning a gradual reintroduction of ships and itineraries, all subject to the approval of the many governments involved. The bottom line is that one ship sailing a particular itinerary in November doesn't mean a different ship from the same cruise line will be able to sail a different itinerary in December.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:35 PM, njhorseman said:

The bottom line is that one ship sailing a particular itinerary in November doesn't mean a different ship from the same cruise line will be able to sail a different itinerary in December.

Thanks for this nj.  That hadn't entered my mind, but you are right!