CRUISE CEO's Call for Return to Service in US

Formula280SS

On 9/10/2020 at 4:11 PM, Formula280SS said:

Norwegian Cruise CEO: ‘It Will Be Safe to Cruise from America’

September 10, 2020

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23493-norwegian-cruise-ceo-it-will-be-safe-to-cruise-from-america.html

He seems a little 'wound up.  😲

I am sure there is a lot of data from amusement parks,  airlines and resorts. They need to start somehow. I think they should start with booking every other cabin, infection control precautions from dining to shows, rapid tests on board, prophylaxis if needed, a well trained medical team on board. Hospital partners at different ports. But they don’t have much of this information on their website. Then again, they got rid of most of their staff. Wishing them the best. Can’t wait to cruise again @frankdelrio

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

These aren't norovirus cases from ships; clearly appear to be coronavirus in the US by state (also not on ships).

It also is cumulative, with no regard to March to September; March being when the world 'didn't know what hit it or how to treat it to September when the world 'learning curve has improved treatment.

It clearly also appears countries and, in the US, state governments "can't even handle" such. 

Note the states with the highest 'deaths per million of population.

What would be interesting?

How many in each of the above:

1.  Nursing homes.

2.  Health care workers.

3.  Those with underlying conditions of heart disease, lung disease, diabetes and obesity.

4.  Age 65 and over.

AFTER SUCH LARGE % OF THE #'S, THERE IS A GIGANTIC MATHEMATICAL GAP

5.  Everyone else (stratified for asymptomatic), never hospitalized.

6.  Disclosure of the virus potency levels.

Yes, it is common sense.  Protect 1-4, protocol 5 at applicable risk level.

Actually there are quite a few documented cases on board the cruise ships after the passengers have gotten off. Many documented by CDC on those ships remaining in US waters. Quite a few by other countries as they tested crew being off loaded. 7 ships in August of those few in US waters.

Probably would be more if the cruise lines implemented the testing regimen requested by the CDC.

If they cannot effectively handle it with crew only how would one expect them to effectively protect passengers.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:24 PM, Formula280SS said:

That's one perspective; and there is a polarity opposite that exists (for example, I reserve the right to decide for myself whether to cruise regardless of anyone 'not me not liking it because their perspective is that such is a leisure activity). 

I will equally promise not to decide for those who believe otherwise.

Then there is the perspective of those in the economic pyramid for whom cruising is a business and the sole support for their livelihood (just Florida, imagine the islands, Mexico, etc.).

Florida's Economy Takes $23B Hit From Empty Cruise Ships, Ports

WUSF Public Media - WUSF 89.7 | By Bradley George

That sounds like a large number until you consider that Floridas economy is around 900 billion and tourist visiting the state spend around 100 billion each year. So it seems more important for the state to get the case counts down and get the rest of the economy running on land. Then they can worry about the 3% that is the cruise industry's impact on the state.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 5:02 PM, brad0576 said:

Schools in Florida are open - 3000+ students in close quarters for 8 hours each day..... how is it cruises can't even think of returning to sailing yet schools were forced to reopen?

Put the school a few hundred miles out in the ocean.

Replace the young kiddies with lots of old people, overweight people, diabetic people.

Add alcohol.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joan18 said:

I think they should start with booking every other cabin, infection control precautions from dining to shows, rapid tests on board, prophylaxis if needed, a well trained medical team on board. Hospital partners at different ports.

Don't forget about the masks! Masks required for everyone on board. Cruising with these measures? For me, no thanks.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, npcl said:

Actually there are quite a few documented cases on board the cruise ships after the passengers have gotten off. Many documented by CDC on those ships remaining in US waters. Quite a few by other countries as they tested crew being off loaded. 7 ships in August of those few in US waters.

Probably would be more if the cruise lines implemented the testing regimen requested by the CDC.

If they cannot effectively handle it with crew only how would one expect them to effectively protect passengers.

There needs to be some transparency and data provided.  Just saying it doesn't quantify it or scale it from March to September and compare to the various US and world curves for hospitalizations and deaths.

An entire industry should not be singled out for 100% closure in the US if there actually are a "few documented cases on board cruise ships after the passengers have gotten off."  

Recall also that such cases were while ships were isolated, at sea and 'left there by most ports.  No access to mainland facilities.  Worst in March, better in September.  Like everyone world wide, they didn't even know what this virus was at the beginning, and are learning.

I'm not saying there were or are none, but we are in a world where it has been everywhere, and protocols that have been implemented need to followed and monitored.

😷

10 hours ago, npcl said:

That sounds like a large number until you consider that Floridas economy is around 900 billion and tourist visiting the state spend around 100 billion each year. So it seems more important for the state to get the case counts down and get the rest of the economy running on land. Then they can worry about the 3% that is the cruise industry's impact on the state.

Unless you're part of the $27B in the cruise industry and feeder and throughput industries.

There is no direct link to the 3% referred to above causing any of the major hospitalizations and deaths in the 97% of Florida.

If any can be identified, it would be nice to know; a link for example.

The,  divide that data into the state-wide data.

As an aside, I've never been a fan of central governments deciding winners and losers.  🙄 

As far as the regulators, the CDC doesn't have a very exemplary or noteworthy record on this virus at all.

IMO, there is a risk that the cruise line industry (especially the top 5-7 international, well organized, and implementing massive virus protocols) could be besmirched and tarnished by the actions of much smaller, regional and local lines that resume cruising without the resources to implement the protocols as MSC has done with Grandiosa and others scheduled to cruise from Germany and Italy have done or are in place.  The media cannot be expected not to exploit a 200 passenger expedition or other ship and line to taint the entire cruise line industry and activity.

57 minutes ago, jotjot said:

Frank J Del Rio is correct,  how come sitting four inches away from someone in a middle seat on a airplane is OK?  

Yep, even if the middle seat is not occupied it's an issue not in conformity with distancing protocols for almost all other industries and lifes' activities.

And that is just "next" to each other.

I've wondered why so little awareness of the front and back of airline passengers in seats; so there is noncompliance (virus risk taking) in every seat occupied in front and behind such passengers.

29 to 32 inches -

Seat pitch is defined as the space between a point on one seat and the same point on the seat in front of it.

On 9/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, BirdTravels said:

We’re all in. 

I have a cruise booked for the end of March.  It was so cheap and so many perks.  I really want to go but I am nervous about the virus.  Guess I will have to wait and see what protocals are in place before I make my final decision.

7 hours ago, cmh said:

I have a cruise booked for the end of March.  It was so cheap and so many perks.  I really want to go but I am nervous about the virus.  Guess I will have to wait and see what protocals are in place before I make my final decision.

The ability to make your final decision will only exist if cruising in the USofA has returned by March......😉

Last night I dreamed that today was my cruise 😞 I'm waiting until fall of '22 more because thats what I had planned (my May 20 was cancelled of course).

My concern would be taking a plane or bus to cruise port (then overnight hotel stay) and being denied entry on ship due to whatever incident. I don't want the lines to go bankrupt, people to not have careers etc.

I almost thing there needs to be some cutoff date- and if there is a risk and people are willing to go they can go- I am not saying this would be next month or even 3 to 6 months.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:44 AM, jotjot said:

Frank J Del Rio is correct,  how come sitting four inches away from someone in a middle seat on a airplane is OK?  

Don`t forget that in airplanes everybody has to wear a mask at all times.this is something that no cruise line waants to give as a mandatory restriction cause then nobody would book these cruises.

That is the only point i can think of why the one thing is allowed and the other is not. To be honest i don`t understand it as well. Cruising should be possible meanwhile.Just make a negative test within 48 hours before the cruise as mandatory, only 50% capacity on the ships and no individual excoursions during port stops. This system works with TUI cruises and MSC perfectly well so far. And if we europeans can do it, then you US guys should be able to do it as well.

Te only question is: would the cruise lines offer cruises knowing that they might loose more money with every further cruise?

The cruises offered by TUI and MSC are sailing at 30-40% of capacity,so they are by far not "fully" booked(60-70% are allowed).So they are loosing money with every cruise.

Of course it is necessary to bring back the trust in the cruise industry.this is extremely important for the future of the whole industry. But which US-based cruise line would do that ?

3 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Don`t forget that in airplanes everybody has to wear a mask at all times.this is something that no cruise line waants to give as a mandatory restriction cause then nobody would book these cruises.

That is the only point i can think of why the one thing is allowed and the other is not. To be honest i don`t understand it as well. Cruising should be possible meanwhile.Just make a negative test within 48 hours before the cruise as mandatory, only 50% capacity on the ships and no individual excoursions during port stops. This system works with TUI cruises and MSC perfectly well so far. And if we europeans can do it, then you US guys should be able to do it as well.

Te only question is: would the cruise lines offer cruises knowing that they might loose more money with every further cruise?

The cruises offered by TUI and MSC are sailing at 30-40% of capacity,so they are by far not "fully" booked(60-70% are allowed).So they are loosing money with every cruise.

Of course it is necessary to bring back the trust in the cruise industry.this is extremely important for the future of the whole industry. But which US-based cruise line would do that ?

at TUI and i think also MSC you have to wear a mask on Board.

if they start in November in the USA, the cruises will not be the same then before ( like the whole life at the moment ).

Edited by Steff79

It's not true that you have to wear a mask on a plane all the time. My wife and I flew yesterday and I made sure to have plenty to eat and drink. You are obviously allowed to remove your mask for those things. Do what I do and pack lots of snacks! LOL 😂🍰🍸🍜🍪

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 1:30 PM, CruiseMH said:

Where do you get the information that sailing at 70% capacity is "loosing" (sic) money? I don't think that's accurate.