QM2 deck 8 or 11?

max344

Looking at 5 night cruise in late Sept, only unobstructed balcony view staterooms are on desks 8 and 11. Deck 8 mid-aft do you get 'traffic' noise from people going to/from pool? Deck 11 mid/mid-aft is there much noise from the open deck above? Despite loving cruises I do get seasick in a bath so is there much difference in movement between decks 8 and 11 (cruise will be crossing the channel)?

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

If you're worried about movement, you might be better in one of the sheltered balconies on Decks 4,5 or 6.

I'm guessing this is the QM2 cruise I'm already booked on - in a sheltered balcony.   Had one last year, loved it and booked in it again for this 2021 cruise.    As Hattie said, if you are worried about movement, you would be better in 4, 5 or 6.   That said, QM2 has very little movement.

Thanks. I've had a sheltered balcony on the QM2 before so thought it would be nice to try an open one. The channel is the only 'rough' water we might be on, it's not like it's a Transatlantic so that's why wondering if much noticeable movement difference between deck 8 and 11 and if any noise from pool traffic on 8, and open deck above 11.

9 hours ago, max344 said:

Looking at 5 night cruise in late Sept, only unobstructed balcony view staterooms are on desks 8 and 11. Deck 8 mid-aft do you get 'traffic' noise from people going to/from pool? Deck 11 mid/mid-aft is there much noise from the open deck above? Despite loving cruises I do get seasick in a bath so is there much difference in movement between decks 8 and 11 (cruise will be crossing the channel)?

Hi Max344,

We experienced Deck 11 twice on the Mary and really had no problems in the past. We even now use Deck 12 for Club Britannia which is below Deck 13 Sundeck and still haven't been disturbed in any way.

We were once in a cabin on Deck 11 btw Stairway A & B with no open deck above. And once on Deck 11 in the rear with a balcony near Stairway C & D which is a walkway above and really not disturbing.

Since passengers are mostly out of the cabins, we really didn't have a problem from above.

We did sense ship movement on Deck 11 forward but always attempt to book a cabin middle ship for more stability. It also depends on the type of sailing you are selecting.  

Last year we had a deck 8 unobstructed balcony on our two-week TA and enjoyed it. Port side immediately aft of the last lifeboat. To your question about pool traffic - we didn't notice much at all. We liked the proximity of the aft pool bar, You should note that the steakhouse is on deck 8 aft and, when it's open, you are not supposed to access the outside deck through the restaurant. It's easy enough to go down to deck 7 and back up to 8, though.  We also liked being one deck above King's Court - I'm not much of a breakfast person, so getting something light from the buffet is fine for me.

• Like 1

Yes we thought deck 8 was good location, Kings court, Carinthia and promenade on the deck below, Commodore deck above and the outdoor pool astern.

I would book 8 again.  Not really any movement even on a medium rough TA but you might well get more up on 11.

On Deck 11 aft, be aware of the increased overhang of the deck above in the aft section (roughly anywhere aft of the B lifts). This may be desirable or not depending on whether you want sun on your balcony. I opt for forward staterooms on 11 to avoid the overhang.

Last year we had a deck 8 unobstructed balcony on our two-week TA and enjoyed it. Port side immediately aft of the last lifeboat. To your question about pool traffic - we didn't notice much at all. We liked the proximity of the aft pool bar, You should note that the steakhouse is on deck 8 aft and, when it's open, you are not supposed to access the outside deck through the restaurant. It's easy enough to go down to deck 7 and back up to 8, though.  We also liked being one deck above King's Court - I'm not much of a breakfast person, so getting something light from the buffet is fine for me.

Been on deck 8 four times now, No probs what so ever

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have been on deck 8 a few times (aft) not in an obstructed view which is mid shift.   I love that location; zero traffic noice and it is very convenient to the pool as well as to the aft and mid aft elevators.   We did a transatlantic in one of those cabins (and a couple of other sailings) and I never felt any movement.    I would book a cabin there in a heartbeat.  I've never been on deck 11 so I can't comment on that but those cabins go quick so if there is one available, I would grab it.  

There are 4 Obstructed View Cabins cabins on Deck 8 that are identical to the previous  photo .

8013 , 8014 , 8109 , 8110 .

Grab one as they book up quickly .

In fact , 8013 and 8014 are the usually the least expensive balcony cabins, category  DF,  onboard the QM2.

Thanks so much everyone, and from your comments I'll book on deck 8.

12 hours ago, MCC retired said:

There are 4 Obstructed View Cabins cabins on Deck 8 that are identical to the previous  photo .

8013 , 8014 , 8109 , 8110 .

Grab one as they book up quickly .

In fact , 8013 and 8014 are the usually the least expensive balcony cabins, category  DF,  onboard the QM2.

Those 4 DF cabins you mentioned MCC retired are all booked already so will probably have to go with a mid-aft like 8114, 8121, 8123 or 8125 as that's all that's left.