Glimmer of hope?

kruzinkel

CDC director says Covid-19 vaccine for general public likely to be available in 2021

When asked when he thought there would be a vaccine ready to administer to the American public, Redfield said he thought that there would be vaccine initially available sometime between November and December, but “very limited supply and will have to be prioritized.” 

“If you’re asking me when is it going to be generally available to the American public, so we can begin to take advantage of vaccine to get back to our regular life, I think we’re probably looking at third, late second quarter, third quarter 2021.” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

CDC director says Covid-19 vaccine for general public likely to be available in 2021

When asked when he thought there would be a vaccine ready to administer to the American public, Redfield said he thought that there would be vaccine initially available sometime between November and December, but “very limited supply and will have to be prioritized.” 

“If you’re asking me when is it going to be generally available to the American public, so we can begin to take advantage of vaccine to get back to our regular life, I think we’re probably looking at third, late second quarter, third quarter 2021.” 

AWESOME news.  Some folks still have a while to be held up in their living rooms - thats their choice.  The rest of us will wear our covid condom and keep the economy rolling.  Woohooo

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, twangster said:

And he said six to nine months for enough people to get vaccinated for widespread immunity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pratique said:

And he said six to nine months for enough people to get vaccinated for widespread immunity.

Right, but if joe public can get it in Q3 then cruise lines can set that as a requirement to board in 2021.  Anti-vaxxers will benefit from widespread community immunity sometime in 2022.  

So I have a high degree of confidence my Jan. 2022 sailing is a go.  I'm probably just going to cancel my January through June cruises now and keep fingers crossed about Odyssey in the fall.  

Based on this timeline Royal should have enough funding to make it - great news indeed.  

6 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Have the cruise lines said that vaccination will be required? Where are you getting that from?

NO they have't.....We're a ways from them making any/if requirement like that.

If the poster has knowledge about this should state facts.

Just heard Redfield say masks will protect us more than a vaccine...so what does that say about the not so imminent release of one.

Trump according to his town hall last night is looking for "herd mentality"    :classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Have the cruise lines said that vaccination will be required? Where are you getting that from?

I didn't say the cruise line ARE going to set it as a requirement.  I said they CAN set it as a future requirement.  It' will be a future option for them.

If they set it as a requirement now they have all but cancelled any cruising for the bulk of the population until Q3 2021.   They won't do that.  Once it is available to everyone but before widespread immunity has occurred they COULD use a vaccine requirement to ease other mitigation efforts such as masks and satisfy more countries like Canada that arriving guests are safe. 

We won't know if those are reasonable expectations until we learn more about how effective this promised vaccine actually is.  

Right now this mythical vaccine is just an election year promise like tax breaks and lollipops.  We really need to see it available even in some very limited quantity after proper testing to begin to understand if it will have any impact to life during a pandemic.  

It's a glimmer of hope that life might be able to move closer to normal. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Right now this mythical vaccine is just an election year promise like tax breaks and lollipops.

Yes but it is a worldwide effort to speed up the development. Not everyone is in an election year but everyone wants to end this pandemic sooner than later. This is one of those things that can only be hurried so much. There is a balance between enabling the scientists to do their job at the fastest reasonable pace and providing adequate oversight that the vaccine(s) are safe.

• Like 4

On 9/14/2020 at 7:04 PM, TheMastodon said:

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/14/pitt-scientists-discover-biomolecule-that-may-neutralize-coronavirus/

ah but CNN isn’t reporting about this.  can’t be true

all negative , nothing positive.

Oddly enough, no major outlets have picked up this story other than MSNBC, not even FOX. Could it be because it is so preliminary that it's only been tested in mice?

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

Oddly enough, no major outlets have picked up this story other than MSNBC, not even FOX. Could it be because it is so preliminary that it's only been tested in mice?

I saw it on Fox earlier today including an interview with the lead researcher.  He took time to explain in layman's terms how it works differently from a vaccine and how its uses would differ.  

4 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

Perhaps! I tend to be more of an optimist (opposite of media) and would like some more balanced reporting.  Those mice are making the ultimate sacrifice for us.

3 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

Those mice are making the ultimate sacrifice for us.

Indeed they are.  So are the health care workers. doctors, nurses, technicians, support staff who are there for us when they literally put their own lives at risk.  Sadly many gave their lives.  Let's never make light of their sacrifice and never forget what they have done and are doing!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Pratique said:

Yes but it is a worldwide effort to speed up the development. Not everyone is in an election year but everyone wants to end this pandemic sooner than later. This is one of those things that can only be hurried so much. There is a balance between enabling the scientists to do their job at the fastest reasonable pace and providing adequate oversight that the vaccine(s) are safe.

To the worldwide effort point, Pfizer is in the process of acquiring a vaccine production facility in Germany to increase capacity.  I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the other pharmas do the same. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

To the worldwide effort point, Pfizer is in the process of acquiring a vaccine production facility in Germany to increase capacity.  I wouldn't be shocked to see some of the other pharmas do the same. 

Actually, many companies working on the vaccine have already made arrangements for production.  This is simply a first step, however.  It will be an ethical and logistics nightmare to have it distributed according to priority.  Let's be realistic.  A vaccine which is effective and safe and distributed to the majority of folks is months away, at best.

• Like 2

My concern is with a fast tracked vaccine.  I'm all for vaccines and plan to get one but only once I know it has been thoroughly tested and it's safe for me and my specific situation (age/weight/gender/other conditions, etc).

Prioritizing the distribution of a vaccine that has been rushed through the approval process has disaster written all over it.  Healthcare workers and first responders being prioritized sounds wonderful except when a vaccine hasn't been properly tested.  In that event these are not the first groups that should be testing the vaccine for society.    

• Like 4

Yesterday at the hearing Redfield laid out some expectations. Then potus said Redfield was wrong and promised something sooner. It will be ready when it's ready. The question is whether the public will have confidence in that readiness given all the mixed messages.

• Like 2

People around the world are clamouring for a vaccine.   People want their kids back in school and their lives back to pre-pandemic ways in every developed nation.  The pressure for a vaccine isn't uniquely American.  One country skipped what many consider proper testing procedures and is already distributing a vaccine. 

In the words of potus we can't let the cure be worse than the problem itself.  A rushed to market vaccine could be just that.    

37 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Yesterday at the hearing Redfield laid out some expectations. Then potus said Redfield was wrong and promised something sooner. It will be ready when it's ready. The question is whether the public will have confidence in that readiness given all the mixed messages.

Those mixed messages are a large part of the problem.  In essence, we have...

Science vs. Science Fiction

Reality vs. illusion

Truth vs. Wishful Thinking

• Like 5