Virtual treasure hunt.

Lanky Lad

6 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Oh, I get it now. That "Bear Danger" sign is probably from your Alaska cruise on QE. Was that a souvenir acquired by one of the passengers during that cruise?

Correct!  Bears are very common in most of the Alaska ports that QE visited in 2019, and they can be very dangerous, particularly when hungry or when guarding cubs.  We never met the people in the cabin who put up the Bear Warning sign, so I'm not sure where they got it.  It was a replica of signs you would see ashore in national parks when areas were closed off.  

58 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

That's the thing that won a competition to design a something or other. I think it was for QE. I really can't remember what it is supposed to symbolise.

I think it's a lens a bit like they have in Lighthouses.

I found some info on it:

His design is based on the unique lighthouse lenses created by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in 1823, which allowed the light to be seen from much greater distances.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/city-students-design-set-grace-ballroom-exclusive-liner-1728685

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/6988902/Cunard-Competition.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray66 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0276e9b787bade9713356d366f503d72.jpeg

Nightclub dressed as ‘Yacht Club’ on Queen Elizabeth. The flags on the pelmet identify it I think. I have in the back of my mind the flags spell out something meaningful but will stand corrected if that is not so.

Edited by Yaldi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Yaldi said:

Nightclub dressed as ‘Yacht Club’ on Queen Elizabeth. The flags on the pelmet identify it I think. I have in the back of my mind the flags spell out something meaningful but will stand corrected if that is not so.

The message of the flags intrigued me. What is visible in this photo appears to be "ion 1969" on the signal flags - not too sure of the numbers, as they were not easy to discern. I have only been on QE once and evidently took no pictures of this room. There was a photo on the Cruise Critic QE pages that showed more of the flags. From that I got "...of a great tradition..." but with no more luck discerning the numbers at the end. I'd be interested in finding out what the entire message reads, if anyone knows or remembers.

Edited by ExArkie
corrected typo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ExArkie said:

The message of the flags intrigued me. What is visible in this photo appears to be "ion 1969" on the signal flags - not too sure of the numbers, as they were not easy to discern. I have only been on QE once and evidently took no pictures of this room. There was a photo on the Cruise Critic QE pages that showed more of the flags. From that I got "...of a great tradition..." but with no more luck discerning the numbers at the end. I'd be interested in finding out what the entire message reads, if anyone knows or remembers.

That’s interesting. If you are keen to continue the translation, some more of it is captured in the video below.

It may be something to do with QE2 as 1969 was her into service date and the name ‘Yacht Club’ connects the vessels. Further clue might be the placement of the message above the silver Asprey model of QE2?

On 11/25/2020 at 7:51 AM, Yaldi said:

That’s interesting. If you are keen to continue the translation, some more of it is captured in the video below.

It may be something to do with QE2 as 1969 was her into service date and the name ‘Yacht Club’ connects the vessels. Further clue might be the placement of the message above the silver Asprey model of QE2?

Perfect - the pan around the room exposed all of the signal flags at some point. HD resolution would have been nice, but one works with what one has. What I made out (keeping in mind that punctuation is essentially nonexistent in these matters) was: 

"Queen Elizabeth 2 triumph of a great tradition 1969 2008"

Seems you were right - definitely a message directly related to the model over which it is placed.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2020 at 8:04 PM, ExArkie said:

Perfect - the pan around the room exposed all of the signal flags at some point. HD resolution would have been nice, but one works with what one has. What I made out (keeping in mind that punctuation is essentially nonexistent in these matters) was: 

"Queen Elizabeth 2 triumph of a great tradition 1969 2008"

Seems you were right - definitely a message directly related to the model over which it is placed.

As a side note it is interesting to be reminded how much hand held cameras have improved in the intervening 8 years.

Thank you for your effort and reply. The phrase makes sense, l remember there was a marketing push at the time to entice former, and in some cases disaffected, QE2 guests over to the new ships, with Cunard adopting a ‘gone but not forgotten’ approach to QE2.

I must photograph this if l have the opportunity to sail on Queen Elizabeth again. 

This one is easy too, but it is another sign that I really like.  I took the photo to show to our two labradors when we got home.  They were best friends with everyone who came to our house.  I thought the sign might help their self-esteem.

image.png.b8de2b98c456010b96960fc8a8426eab.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1