Misleading marketing

ziggyuk

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 5:44 AM, ziggyuk said:

I am really getting fed up with NCL sending me misleading marketing.

I just received this:

image.png.09360c0abb8108603faa739a04e5de18.png

The small print below says:

image.png.869f10787e44a6b8166d5f450dad89f7.png

Looks great no "up to" $200 mentioned and clearly says per guest not cabin.... wow amazing....

Then I read the even smaller print which has to be zoomed in to read!

# Onboard credit promotion is applicable to new qualifying bookings made between 23 and 30 September 2020 inclusive for open for sale qualifying 3+ night sailings in 2021 and beyond. Offer is for new FIT reservations and new speculative groups delegates. Onboard Credit is paid by way of a credit of the applicable amount to your onboard account and is available for use during your cruise in accordance with these terms. Value of onboard credit depends on sailing and stateroom category – for sailings 5+ nights, Studio Staterooms - $50, Inside Staterooms - $100, Oceanview Staterooms - $120, Balcony Staterooms - $200, Club Balcony Suites - $280, Concierge, Suite and The Haven - $600.

So... it's the same old same old 

image.png

I see nothing misleading about it.  With any offer form any business one has to read all of the details to know the specifics.  When I read offers like this I choose not to make any ASSUMPTIONS

8 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I see nothing misleading about it.  With any offer form any business one has to read all of the details to know the specifics.  When I read offers like this I choose not to make any ASSUMPTIONS

We are used to much higher and regulated advertising standards in the UK, the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) have upheld my complaint and have written to NCL about their misleading advertising and provided guidance how to maintain the standards expected of them.

It's IRONIC you tell me to read an advert fully and not make ASSUMPTIONS then you can't be bothered to read this thread & it's outcome before replying with the same old guff. 🤔🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

We are used to much higher and regulated advertising standards in the UK, the ASA (Advertising Standards Authority) have upheld my complaint and have written to NCL about their misleading advertising and provided guidance how to maintain the standards expected of them.

It's IRONIC you tell me to read an advert fully and not make ASSUMPTIONS then you can't be bothered to read this thread & it's outcome before replying with the same old guff. 🤔🤦‍♂️

Maybe MoCruiseFan just don't think that it's misleading even if the ASA may think so?

I can't see why it's misleading when all information is there.

I have the same issue, We booked a haven Suite for a 3 night sailing i was under the impression all guests get drinks package and only guests 1/2 get dining package but  its only guests 1 and 2 that get drinks package.

15 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

If you sign off by confirming you are in agreement with the contract terms, you agree to the terms whether you've read them or not.

That's true, but you may be signing having understood the terms as different than they turn out to be. I remember a humorous example from years ago, a car dealer advertised selling a car with "2 free tires." It actually meant "the car comes with only 2 tires, but we'll throw in the other two ABSOLUTELY FREE." 🤣

29 minutes ago, Keith.W said:

I have the same issue, We booked a haven Suite for a 3 night sailing i was under the impression all guests get drinks package and only guests 1/2 get dining package but  its only guests 1 and 2 that get drinks package.

Hmmm... "under the impression," but it is clearly stated on NCL's website that only guests 1 and 2 get the drink package.  Best to go with the facts, not impressions.

It did say this  when we booked :

FREE AT SEA UPGRADE

Best value. Low fee.

GET UP TO 4 PACKAGES

OPEN BAR

Enjoy all the spirits and cocktails, wines, draft beer, juice and soda for all guests 21 years or older.

SPECIALITY DINING

Savour meals at our Speciality Dining venues free for Guests 1 & 2.

EXCURSIONS

Receive US$ 50 Shore Excursion Credit per tour.

WIFI

Stay connected with internet you can use throughout the ship.

1 hour ago, HuliHuli said:

Hmmm... "under the impression," but it is clearly stated on NCL's website that only guests 1 and 2 get the drink package.  Best to go with the facts, not impressions.

It depends on the Terms at the time of booking and the age of the guests. 

EDIT (and where you are booking from)

UK Terms...

Open Bar (Open Bar)
Open Bar is applicable to all qualified sailings excluding Pride of America and 3-6 night Sun & Sky sailings.
Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.
Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Open Bar. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

17 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

We booked through our cruise consultant but based Ireland ,  we done a mock booking first and it said the following we are all over 21 in a haven suite:FREE AT SEA UPGRADE

Best value. Low fee.

GET UP TO 4 PACKAGES

OPEN BAR

Enjoy all the spirits and cocktails, wines, draft beer, juice and soda for all guests 21 years or older.

SPECIALITY DINING

Savour meals at our Speciality Dining venues free for Guests 1 & 2.

EXCURSIONS

Receive US$ 50 Shore Excursion Credit per tour.

WIFI

Stay connected with internet you can use throughout the ship.

17 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It depends on the Terms at the time of booking and the age of the guests. 

EDIT (and where you are booking from)

UK Terms...

Open Bar (Open Bar)
Open Bar is applicable to all qualified sailings excluding Pride of America and 3-6 night Sun & Sky sailings.
Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.
Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Open Bar. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

On 10/9/2020 at 11:20 AM, sverigecruiser said:

Maybe MoCruiseFan just don't think that it's misleading even if the ASA may think so?

I can't see why it's misleading when all information is there.

All cruises are 50% off for the next 24 hours!*

*There will be an additional 100% processing fee for all bookings made during this period.

Maybe to you, this would be an acceptable advert, but I think that many people and many governments would consider this false advertising, even though there is an asterisk that provides all of the information. I am definitely of the view that it is misleading and am rather shocked to see how many people are defending it. Obviously it is good to read the terms and conditions of an offer before taking advantage of it, but the reality is that nobody has time to read all of the terms and conditions of everything. And this isn't even a matter of 'per person vs per cabin'. The advert says 'all guests will receive 200 USD onboard credit.' Now, if it turned out to be 200 USD per cabin instead of per passenger, I would find it misleading, but not surprising for NCL. But you don't even get 200 USD per cabin, instead some amount between 50 USD and 600 USD. So the 200 USD seems to be pulled from the air. I really don't see how it can be considered acceptable to just put fake numbers in advertising just so long as in the fine print, you clarify that the headline was fake...

17 minutes ago, geleisen said:

Maybe to you, this would be an acceptable advert, but I think that many people and many governments would consider this false advertising, even though there is an asterisk that provides all of the information. I am definitely of the view that it is misleading and am rather shocked to see how many people are defending it. Obviously it is good to read the terms and conditions of an offer before taking advantage of it, but the reality is that nobody has time to read all of the terms and conditions of everything. And this isn't even a matter of 'per person vs per cabin'. The advert says 'all guests will receive 200 USD onboard credit.' Now, if it turned out to be 200 USD per cabin instead of per passenger, I would find it misleading, but not surprising for NCL. But you don't even get 200 USD per cabin, instead some amount between 50 USD and 600 USD. So the 200 USD seems to be pulled from the air. I really don't see how it can be considered acceptable to just put fake numbers in advertising just so long as in the fine print, you clarify that the headline was fake...

Things to consider:

• Phrases like "but I think" and "would consider" indicate a statement of OPINION, not necessisarily a statement of FACT. Attempting to present OPINION as FACT can be considered to be misleading.
  • Perhaps the fact that you are "rather shocked" at how many people don't share your opinion is an indicator that your opinion may be farther off from fact than you assume. When a shocking number of people disagree with you, it might be best to just consider the fact that you could actually be mistaken.
  • How can you definitively say that "nobody has time to read all of the terms and conditions of everything"? There is simply no possible way that you could know that. Again, this is opinion (or possibly projection) presented as fact. This is misleading.
  • When you use a phrase like "I really don't see how" that doesn't mean the thing is not true, it simply means that you lack understanding of what it is or how it works. Just because I can't see how people can work on high skyscrapers doesn't mean that they can't. 
  • With any advertisement, you have to consider what is said and also what is NOT said. Don't assume or presume. Read and understand. 

My opinion is that they already "got you" if you fall for ANYTHING that promises you OBC - regardless of the amount. That OBC is ALWAYS built into the price and that deal is ALWAYS designed to benefit the company more than it is designed to benefit you. Want proof? Next time you are offered a $2,000 cruise with a $200 OBC make a counteroffer and tell them you want the cruise for $1,800 with no OBC. When you understand why they say "sorry, no", you'll understand why the $200 OBC isn't a good deal for you in the first place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geleisen said:

All cruises are 50% off for the next 24 hours!*

*There will be an additional 100% processing fee for all bookings made during this period.

I see worse commercial than that everyday on TV with fineprints defenitely not possible to read because of the short time it's displayed.    

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I see worse commercial than that everyday on TV with fineprints defenitely not possible to read because of the short time it's displayed.    

I'm amazed Sweden has such lax standards, certainly not what we are used to.

7 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I'm amazed Sweden has such lax standards, certainly not what we are used to.

Interesting that it's so different. There were 11 commercials during the last break on TV4, one of the biggest channels here, and four of them had fine prints which might be difficult to read for some people.  

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Interesting that it's so different. There were 11 commercials during the last break on TV4, one of the biggest channels here, and four of them had fine prints which might be difficult to read for some people.  

Yes, it's international forums like this that highlight the differences between countries, advertising is highly regulated here in the UK and while there are certainly many other things that need improvement in the UK, IMHO advertising is not one of them.

To me a statement of "All guests receive $200" that turns out its not all guests, it's each stateroom and it's not even $200, it actually starts at $50 is outrageous but clearly others are so used to it, it's normal.

Of course I knew it was too good to be true and a quick read of the small print revealed it to be untrue but here in the UK that kind of misleading advertising is not allowed.

I used to work for a huge company in operations, I would have to sit down with marketing and legal and would go through every line of any new marketing material to be sure we could justify every line and every statement made.

3 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Of course I knew it was too good to be true and a quick read of the small print revealed it to be untrue but here in the UK that kind of misleading advertising is not allowed.

Really? Then please explain why, in spite of your claim that your complaint was upheld, and in spite of your claim that "that kind of misleading advertising is not allowed", that NCL's ad is still up on the UK website...

Why weren't they cited with a violation and either forced to take the ad down or change it?

32 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Really? Then please explain why, in spite of your claim that your complaint was upheld, and in spite of your claim that "that kind of misleading advertising is not allowed", that NCL's ad is still up on the UK website...

Why weren't they cited with a violation and either forced to take the ad down or change it?

Errrr, it's not 😂 😂

1, my complaint was about an email with a different format to the online offer

2, The online offer unlike the email does not say "All guests receive $200 onboard credit"

3, Any recommendation requiring NCL to amend advertising would have a timeline, I would not expect instant action.

4, If I see further infringements of UK advertising standards I will report it as a deliberate rebuttal of advice provided by the ASA.

Pretty obvious isn't it captain obvious?

Edited by ziggyuk

On 10/9/2020 at 3:54 AM, ziggyuk said:

Good thing you have the Govt to protect y’all...

48 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

I don't need big brother to spoon feed me or hold my hands on simple tasks I can do on my own. We are educated adults and not some little kids who can't read or think for ourselves.

Isn't that the point though? You may be well educated and able to look after yourself but there are a lot of vulnerable people who need protecting, without regulation these people are taken advantage of and prayed upon, these very people ore the least equipped to stand up for themselves and fight back.

Sometimes in life we have to make a stand for the greater good of all rather than concentrating on our entitled little lives, clearly this is of no interest to you so please carry on in your little self obsessed bubble.