Ruby Princess vs Carnival Mirage, what can you tell me?

Ombud

I've had 7 canceled on Princess and received refunds for all but 1. I'm fine with that process but in rebooking I'm rethinking the CCL lines for 1 trip. My dilemma is:

SF Alaska 10 days: even after FCCs I'd owe $2847 (plus just me for 5 extra days with 2 little kids)

SF Mexico 5 days (same week): I'd owe less than 2k

Comparable staterooms / I'd move FCC to cover a 14 day Queensland cruise in full. 

Are there more kids on a Carnival or Princess Cruise? What is there to do on Carnival Mirage for smaller kids? (7)

Hey Ombud.  I think you mean the Carnival Miracle?  At any rate, definitely more kids on Carnival, especially going to Mexico vs Alaska.  Our family has been on Ruby, and loved it (kids were 15, 13, 9 and 7) and prefer Princess's kids club to Carnival's.  Also Princess has fresh water pools that are warmer than Carnival's salt water cold pools.  

Carnival has water slides and an arcade along with the kids club, if it helps

How old are the kids? If you didn’t have plans for the FCC, I’d tell you to stick with the Princess Cruise. But since you do have plans for what sounds like an excellent choice, it may be a good idea to take the kids on a short, kid friendly cruise. 

As far as Carnival goes, you’ll find more kids, as well as more activities geared towards the kids than on Princess, specially on a shorter cruise. It’s definitely a more unpretentious and casual atmosphere. 

But that there’s more to do on Carnival for kids doesn’t mean that your kids will necessarily like it more than Princess. Sometimes there are SO many kids on a Carnival Cruise, that it becomes a bit chaotic. On our last Carnival Cruise, there were so many kids onboard that they had to use conference rooms as overflow space. It was crazy. My kids had an overall great time, but they didn’t particularly like the kids club. Interestingly, they liked the kids club on Holland America more, and they said that they reason why they liked it more was because there weren’t as many kids onboard which made it easier to make friends 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

If I were considering an Alaskan cruise, I would only consider Princess from our past experience of a great cruise from Seattle through the inside passage on the Sapphire Princess. However, I understand that you are considering choices of Carnival cruises leaving from San Francisco with the destinations of Alaska and Mexico. 

You mention a five day cruise to Mexico. That seems to me something of a party cruise. I am not certain if you would enjoy that kind of atmosphere with two little children.

If you are deciding to go with Carnival, I would think Alaska would be a better choice than Mexico. Of course,ultimately, you will make the decision that is most comfortable for you and your family. 

• Like 1

For me, I am definitely not interested in a party cruise. I prefer the slower tempo of a classical or jazz music oriented cruise.  I was just concerned about the 7 yo. Her sister will just be at the basketball courts. 

Thinking about taking children on a Princess cruise to Alaska, usually Park Rangers and/or naturalists come onboard at different ports to give talks. I think at Skagway, sled dog puppies are brought onboard so passengers can interact with them. This is something your children may enjoy.

There are other Alaska themed activities in the Piazza for passenger participation.

I would think that the Alaska theme might be integrated into the kids’ clubs also. 

I see in your signature that you are anticipating a cruise on the Ruby Princess to Alaska in August of 2021. If it was me, I would stay with that booking. The fare may be more than a Carnival Cruise, but there is a saying... you get what you pay for.

This is tough because those cruise options are 100% different. Would you rather go to Alaska or Mexico? 5 days or over a week? 

Been on both ships and they are both good. Given the differences noted above, the ship really doesn't matter imho. I personally, would rather go to Alaska, though Carnival Miracle is one of my favorite ships. But I would chose 10 days to Alaska over a 5 day cruise on any ship. But that's me.

What sort of vacation would you rather do is the question. 

Edited by linz98144
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MJSailors said:

If I were considering an Alaskan cruise, I would only consider Princess from our past experience of a great cruise from Seattle through the inside passage on the Sapphire Princess. However, I understand that you are considering choices of Carnival cruises leaving from San Francisco with the destinations of Alaska and Mexico. 

You mention a five day cruise to Mexico. That seems to me something of a party cruise. I am not certain if you would enjoy that kind of atmosphere with two little children.

If you are deciding to go with Carnival, I would think Alaska would be a better choice than Mexico. Of course,ultimately, you will make the decision that is most comfortable for you and your family. 

My best ever cruise was carnival miracle to alaska. We had a naturalist on board who would tell us the night before what to watch for. We saw whales and went into some passage to a glacier on a glorious day. Some saw eagles but I guess my eyes not that good. Seals were out on the ledge of the glacier. 

Unless you are adding the land tour princess does, carnival is great to alaska tbh.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My best ever cruise was carnival miracle to alaska. We had a naturalist on board who would tell us the night before what to watch for. We saw whales and went into some passage to a glacier on a glorious day. Some saw eagles but I guess my eyes not that good. Seals were out on the ledge of the glacier. 

Unless you are adding the land tour princess does, carnival is great to alaska tbh.

Doesn’t Carnival have that weird Tue-Tue thing and only 1-2 Glacier Bay calls each season? For Alaska, Princess and Holland America have the most experience in the region and I can’t see deviating to a Carnival ship there.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Doesn’t Carnival have that weird Tue-Tue thing and only 1-2 Glacier Bay calls each season? For Alaska, Princess and Holland America have the most experience in the region and I can’t see deviating to a Carnival ship there.

Idk. We did that passage they can only do in good weather where the ship almost goes right up to the glacier. The week before missed it. But we got to do it. We also went to the national park where there was a different glacier. I didnt do carnival excursion. I knew from a friend to walk thru the fence outside the port and buy a bus ticket to the park. Unfortunately it poured, but I still did it in the rain. 

The day the ship did the passage was worth the whole trip, even if we had to be awake at 7 am to see the whales that morning, then you go deeper into the channel and the naturalist told us what strata to look for in the rocks. Best cruise day ever., but yes it's a day carnival cant always do, because of weather. We had bright sun that day. Very clear. The ship has to be careful of icebergs. We saw plenty of those that day too. 

Sometimes you are just lucky. 

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk. We did that passage they can only do in good weather where the ship almost goes right up to the glacier. The week before missed it. But we got to do it. We also went to the national park where there was a different glacier. I didnt do carnival excursion. I knew from a friend to walk thru the fence outside the port and buy a bus ticket to the park. Unfortunately it poured, but I still did it in the rain. 

The day the ship did the passage was worth the whole trip, even if we had to be awake at 7 am to see the whales that morning, then you go deeper into the channel and the naturalist told us what strata to look for in the rocks. Best cruise day ever., but yes it's a day carnival cant always do, because of weather. We had bright sun that day. Very clear. The ship has to be careful of icebergs. We saw plenty of those that day too. 

Sometimes you are just lucky. 

Sounds like you would enjoy a cruise to Antarctica. It's like Alaska but on steroids. 🙂

Edited by xDisconnections

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Sounds like you would enjoy a cruise to Antarctica. It's like Alaska but on steroids. 🙂

Lol my cousins daughter wants to cruise there for some bird watching cruise. I hear it costs a arm and a leg, but they are saving up for it. She is head of chemistry up at some college in ohio. Teaches environmental chemistry, whatever that is. They count every new sighting of each new bird they see. Bird crazy. Any cruise over 20k, Idk. I'm cheap

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol my cousins daughter wants to cruise there for some bird watching cruise. I hear it costs a arm and a leg, but they are saving up for it. She is head of chemistry up at some college in ohio. Teaches environmental chemistry, whatever that is. They count every new sighting of each new bird they see. Bird crazy. Any cruise over 20k, Idk. I'm cheap

We saw a lot of Albatross when we sailed there. Prior to, I had never even heard of them... idk, I guess I'm not a fan of birds. The glaciers you sail next to are breathtaking along with the wildlife.

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

We saw a lot of Albatross when we sailed there. Prior to, I had never even heard of them... idk, I guess I'm not a fan of birds. The glaciers you sail next to are breathtaking along with the wildlife.

Yea we saw a lot of whales going in and out of that strait I loved too.

I've only seen albatross on tv. They are something to do with a sailors luck rumour has it.

I'd also love to see the Galapagos but more than I'm willing to spend unless I get really rich. I did take a look see at celebrity Galapagos cruises. See if there were any specials because of covid. Celebrity built a special ship all suites that does that cruise. I am top loyalty on celebrity but balcony discount doesnt dent those prices.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1