Riviera Pool Deck

Loracpin2

When we sailed the Marina two years ago, it was very disappointing (especially during bad weather) there was no retractable roof over the pool?  We're optimistically considering booking the Riviera for next July and recalling someone telling us the Riviera did have a retractable roof. Is this correct????

Thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

When we sailed the Marina two years ago, it was very disappointing (especially during bad weather) there was no retractable roof over the pool?  We're optimistically considering booking the Riviera for next July and recalling someone telling us the Riviera did have a retractable roof. Is this correct????

Thank you. 

Marina and Riviera are identical. Neither have ever had a retractable pool roof nor will they in the future.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Marina and Riviera are identical. Neither have ever had a retractable pool roof nor will they in the future.

Thanks my fellow former "Brooklynite".  I do have a difficult time understanding why both these ships were constructed without one.  As I type this we're supposed to be on the Celebrity Reflection doing the same Itinerary (Greece, Turkey & Israel). When we received the weekly Oceania brochure yesterday and saw this same Riviera itinerary for next July I was very enthused.  Not sure it's a game changer yet while we still consider booking Reflection again for next September....that is if there is finally a safe covid injection. 

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

maybe  try HAL

some of their ships have  retractable  pool roof   

if that is an  important feature for you

1 minute ago, Noxequifans said:

The pool brings up another issue as the lounges are rather close.....would have to separate in the future for safe travel.

I agree about the proximity of the lounges and so many other possible issues. That is why after 39 cruises, while we might consider booking  a sailing now, we would never consider making final payment and getting on another cruise ship without an approved and tested covid injection. Just looking at our 2 options under consideration for this itinerary. If not Oceania, it will definitely be Celebrity because of our Loyalty status with them. 

12 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

.... If not Oceania, it will definitely be Celebrity because of our Loyalty status with them. 

Once you start cruising on Oceania, you'll quickly learn why so many folks onboard were former Celebrity regulars.

It will only take a couple of dinners to win you over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Thanks my fellow former "Brooklynite".  I do have a difficult time understanding why both these ships were constructed without one.  As I type this we're supposed to be on the Celebrity Reflection doing the same Itinerary (Greece, Turkey & Israel). When we received the weekly Oceania brochure yesterday and saw this same Riviera itinerary for next July I was very enthused.  Not sure it's a game changer yet while we still consider booking Reflection again for next September....that is if there is finally a safe covid injection. 

They created a steamy, dank ,musty chlorine smell... atmosphere...  limit views of the sly   The HAL ships have them  where you can dine on hot dogs and taco's  while dodging kids ....   

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I do have a difficult time understanding why both these ships were constructed without one.

It's an intentional design, it's not their focus. Who wants to see a bunch of old people with hardly any clothes on anyway? 

Edited by ORV
  • Haha 2

Oceania pools almost too small to really swim in, hence pool deck never crowded.             I  love the inside pools on Celebrity.  X is a different class of ship but offers one of best values at sea.

4 hours ago, ORV said:

It's an intentional design, it's not their focus. Who wants to see a bunch of old people with hardly any clothes on anyway? 

When the weather is great on a sea day, I always sit on our balcony either relaxing or reading a great book.  When the weather isn't great, I usually take my great book and sit in a nice lounge chair in a quiet corner area of an indoor pool.

IMO,  your comment  "Who wants to see a bunch of old people with hardly any clothes on anyway? is condescending and offensive. 

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Once you start cruising on Oceania, you'll quickly learn why so many folks onboard were former Celebrity regulars.

It will only take a couple of dinners to win you over.

We loved  our Marina cruise and that's why we're looking to book the Itinerary on the Riviera I mentioned in my original post. I  understand all the negatives of a covered pool and was just surprised that since, there is only one pool on these two ships, there wasn't a retractable roof. 

6 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

The pool brings up another issue as the lounges are rather close.....would have to separate in the future for safe travel.

The way things were Pre COVID  will all be different  POST COVID

Comparing how it was with how it may be  is  just guessing/speculation 

JMO

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

When the weather is great on a sea day, I always sit on our balcony either relaxing or reading a great book.  When the weather isn't great, I usually take my great book and sit in a nice lounge chair in a quiet corner area of an indoor pool.

IMO,  your comment  "Who wants to see a bunch of old people with hardly any clothes on anyway? is condescending and offensive. 

I'll take a sense of humor for a $1000 Alex. Obviously it was a joke, sorry if you're offended. I forgot to use my emoji.  FWIW I put myself in that group I was referring to. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

I like the idea that you only read great books 

I am not always so lucky 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I'll take a sense of humor for a $1000 Alex. Obviously it was a joke, sorry if you're offended. I forgot to use my emoji.  FWIW I put myself in that group I was referring to. 

Humor vs Political Correctness!

Some people get out of bed everyday looking for a reason to be offended. 

Comedians will come aboard ship for shows and have cruisers falling over laughing while some are walking out offended. 

As I read one who said “ the only thing that offends me, are people that are easily offended.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

The way things were Pre COVID  will all be different  POST COVID

Comparing how it was with how it may be  is  just guessing/speculation 

JMO

I would think the new Covid protocols would require the roof left open for proper ventilation. Leaving it closed would better define petri dish.

20 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

I would think the new Covid protocols would require the roof left open for proper ventilation. Leaving it closed would better define petri dish.

What roof?

46 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

Moot point  sine no Oceania ships have a roof over the pool 😷

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

I still do not understand your query because I would not worry about needing a roof over the pool on a Greece/Turkey/Israel itinerary in July. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1