What can we expect

cruz040864

Hi everyone.....hubby and I have been on about 70 cruises......RCCL, NCL, Holland America.  We are scheduled to sail on QM2 in Oct 2021 fourteen day roundtrip transatlantic.  What differences can we expect?  Thank you for taking the time to answer.  Have a great day. 

One thing is that QM2 is an ocean liner, not a cruise ship.  This means there are plenty of places to sit inside if the weather is not good.  As you are doing a TA, you can expect a full programme of talks, concerts, art classes and other day time activities. 

Cunard is more formal, so the dress codes are enforced in most bars.  The food is also different from some other lines. 

• Like 1

Dear cruz,

My DW & I are so happy that you have found the opportunity to sail on our favorite "Ocean Liner" the Queen Mary 2.

Since 2006, we looked forward to all the opportunities we have had and those we have booked on the QM2.

We feel like we are returning home each time we board and enter the Grand Lobby. There are so many aspects that soon many will follow this message with their experiences on board.

We enjoy the care and concern the Staff on board offers you as a passenger. From the Cabin Service, Restaurants, Bars and Tour Department to name a few and not to forget the Elegant Afternoon Tea in the Queen Room.

She is like nothing you can imagine especially when the ship's clock turn 6PM each evening and the Magic occurs specially on Gala Evenings.

Each passenger does have their own personal experience to look forward too!

Truly enjoy your 14 days at Sea and all it's offers. Hope we too one day book a BTB......(back to back)...

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cruz040864 said:

Hi everyone.....hubby and I have been on about 70 cruises......RCCL, NCL, Holland America.  We are scheduled to sail on QM2 in Oct 2021 fourteen day roundtrip transatlantic.  What differences can we expect?  Thank you for taking the time to answer.  Have a great day. 

We have done two transatlantic round trips so far, with a third planned for next year.

Assuming that things will be similar to past practice, your passport will gain an electronic stamp so on the eastbound d leg, so the ship arrives ‘cleared’ in Southampton. In transit passengers can walk off without further paperwork. 

The classic transatlantic saying is “nothing to do, and not enough time in the day to do it”. We check the program for lectures and other activities of interest. You may also be on a theme cruise with several speakers and presentations on the theme. Our eastbound crossing will one again feature Anthony Inglass with the English National Symphony - we’ve also been onboard for Space Week.

Formal nights were confusingly renamed to ‘gala’ nights a few years back, but are still ‘black tie’ in most public areas. Even the non formal nights are ‘jacket required’ dressier than most mainstream lines.

There are likely three formal nights on each crossing - with a theme (mostly for the Queens Room) for two of the three.  

Edited by TheOldBear
Red pencil

OP, you don't say whether you are Britannia class or the Grills.  If it's the latter you can order your evening meal 'off menu', providing of course that they have the ingredients and are given notice.

One other thing I will add is simply this.....you won't be bored!!  So much to do and not enough hours in the day.

• Like 1

It's simply a serene experience. Once you are out of sight of land, the world simply seems to stop.  Having been on numerous cruises a couple of decades ago with family and friends, I find I prefer the quiet elegance of the QM 2 experience.  The only advice I really can offer is that if you do not now regularly negotiate the dance floor, then take a few lessons before you leave home -- and please dress for dinner. A quality tux and and elegant evening gown make a statement about your world view, and the QM 2 is the perfect place to enjoy the life you have built.  

It's just about impossible not to make new friends for life on the liner.   

• Like 2

peace and quiet and a human re-charge. At the end of our first cruise with cunard i thought i was gonna have to have the police make my wife get off the ship.....i gave thought to having my furniture and mail sent there too ....we are about 14 cruises with them now and getting close to diamond status . 

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 5:09 PM, ddgarner1 said:

It's simply a serene experience. Once you are out of sight of land, the world simply seems to stop.  Having been on numerous cruises a couple of decades ago with family and friends, I find I prefer the quiet elegance of the QM 2 experience.  The only advice I really can offer is that if you do not now regularly negotiate the dance floor, then take a few lessons before you leave home -- and please dress for dinner. A quality tux and and elegant evening gown make a statement about your world view, and the QM 2 is the perfect place to enjoy the life you have built.  

It's just about impossible not to make new friends for life on the liner.   

Thank you.  I am trying to find a place around me to take some dance lessons.  It's been a while since I twirled around the dance floor.  🙂  

Although we primarily cruise on Regent and Crystal, my husband's favorite is the QM2. Not mine, but there are some things

I truly enjoy about QM2. The ship is really a little (maybe not so little) city. The people watching is the best at sea, as the entire human world passes by and I love that. From folks that are using the ship as only transportation to those who do a world cruise in a Queen's Grill cabin. They're all there and that makes it so much fun. We also enjoy dressing up and have no problem whatsoever with following the dress code. Even though we don't dance much, when the ballroom dancers are out in the Queen's room, it's great and wonderful entertainment!

We hope you have a wonderful cruise, when Cunard gets going agin.

Mes chers, 

You will have a grand time! As others have said, QM2 is a very different ship from everything else on the water. I never have any feeling that I’m in a mob scene, walking the Promenade Deck (7) is an endless joy; if the weather is too severe you can still get outside on the aft decks-as well as your balcony; if you are doing a TA, other than in high summer, choose a sheltered balcony, you can get some air and privacy at the same time. I often take things to read-like piled-up ‘New Yorkers’-or a big book. Of course I always find stuff to read in the wonderful library-one just has time to do what one wants. You can do lots or do nothing, It’s grand! The new Verandah is quite good , though I miss Todd English's burgers😋The Indian alternative is really fine-I’ve never tried the other two. 

I often bump into folks that I have crossed with before and they can be fun-yes there are repeaters like me - lot’s of us. And don’t worry about the Atlantic-QM2 was built for whatever comes and she handles rough weather very well. SO ENJOY😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

Mes chers, 

You will have a grand time! As others have said, QM2 is a very different ship from everything else on the water. I never have any feeling that I’m in a mob scene, walking the Promenade Deck (7) is an endless joy; if the weather is too severe you can still get outside on the aft decks-as well as your balcony; if you are doing a TA, other than in high summer, choose a sheltered balcony, you can get some air and privacy at the same time. I often take things to read-like piled-up ‘New Yorkers’-or a big book. Of course I always find stuff to read in the wonderful library-one just has time to do what one wants. You can do lots or do nothing, It’s grand! The new Verandah is quite good , though I miss Todd English's burgers😋The Indian alternative is really fine-I’ve never tried the other two. 

I often bump into folks that I have crossed with before and they can be fun-yes there are repeaters like me - lot’s of us. And don’t worry about the Atlantic-QM2 was built for whatever comes and she handles rough weather very well. SO ENJOY😁

Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry.  We are soooooooo looking forward to our voyage..... 🙂 

5 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Now this worries me slightly,we are considering a TA next Summer,the ship itself & the itinerary I find really interesting BUT I hate dressing up,on holiday T shirt & shorts are my comfort zone!😎

I would highly recommend you consider another cruise line.  It is my understanding that Cunard is very strict about their dress code.  Cunard is a more formal cruise line.  T-shirt and shorts would be more acceptable on RCCL, NCL or Carnival.

• Like 2

Dear snaefell,

Given the enforcement of the dress code - if you decide on QM2 you will be able to use the Kings Court and room service to eat and nothing else in the evening-if you need to stick with beachwear, try the more informal ships, I think you will have a better time and be more comfortable with your fellow passengers. Try a repositioning crossing, not as fast but much more in your ‘comfy’ zone.😉 

Looks like it won't be happening for us,the cruise we were looking at is filling fast & the only balcony cabins left are sheltered ones,on top of that my Wife isn't impressed with the size & decor of the cabins,I think we have been spoilt by our last cruise on Quantum Of The Seas which we both loved,dining mainly from the buffet outside at the stern which we found really nice,mind you that mainly came about because we were hugely unimpressed by the MDR & a speciality restaurant on our first two nights!Sent

Whatever thanks for your help guys,happy sailing!

Edited by snaefell