Meeting with VP and Cruise Industry Happening Today

Anton

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While some of this is likely in the works, the action plan required by the CDC will need to list the actually contracted entities providing the services, and the quantity and scope of services and facilities contracted for, and I think this is still the problem, with getting all this into place, i.e. finding someone to actually do it.

I read here in the CC boards that NCL has the cash reserves to last until he end of next year. Is it true, that I’m not sure of. However, it really makes me think that the lines are going through the “steps” right now, and are really just dragging their feet until the most risk had passed. I mean, why would they want to welcome the greater potential of risk, liability, work and lawsuits if they could just stay the course.

If things have not improved by the time the reserves have started to disappear then then will have to bite the preverbial bullet and set sail if the CDC has given the go ahead. Just my thoughts after 7 months of no sailing. 

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I read here in the CC boards that NCL has the cash reserves to last until he end of next year. Is it true, that I’m not sure of. However, it really makes me think that the lines are going through the “steps” right now, and are really just dragging their feet until the most risk had passed. I mean, why would they want to welcome the greater potential of risk, liability, work and lawsuits if they could just stay the course.

If things have not improved by the time the reserves have started to disappear then then will have to bite the preverbial bullet and set sail if the CDC has given the go ahead. Just my thoughts after 7 months of no sailing. 

I agree with you that they are dragging their feet, but it is because they don't want to spend the money needed for the current requirements.

7 hours ago, HBE4 said:

It's an Aruba condition. I also need to buy covid insurance @ $7 pp/pd should I get sick once on the island.  The insurance is for medical care, isolation cost, etc. 

I did hear one airline - AA I think - may start doing rapid testing at the gate before boarding.to select islands such as Jamaica . Not sure if that's a done deal or still in the planning stages.  

We hope to go to St Maarten in January, their current requirement is a test within 5 days.  I'm curious, have you found somewhere that will "guarantee" your test results in time to meet the requirement?

On the insurance, it looks like St Maarten is soon going to require the same, they're modeling it after what Aruba has put in place.

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I agree with you that they are dragging their feet, but it is because they don't want to spend the money needed for the current requirements.

Yes, I agree. It is much easier to sit idle than take on the risk and cost depleting the time they can sit idle. As time passes the requirements theoretically could be less and we all hope the virus trails off, or a effective vaccine becomes available with widespread use etc...

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

My take on this is that HHS and CDC still are insisting on the cruise lines providing private health care facilities, private general and medical transportation services, and private quarantine facilities, to "backstop" their onboard care and quarantine measures, as they have demanded all along, and as the Healthy Sail board also recommended.  This continues to be the bone of contention.

Yes that makes sense.... and a tall order in logistics and cost.  

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I'm always amused when people compare cruising to flying and wonder why airlines do not have the same scrutiny as cruise ships. Other than moving people from Point A to Point B, the two  have very little in common.

On a plane,  you are with 150 people for about 4 hours or less vs 3,000 people for 4+ days.  On a plane, the air is refreshed every 3-5 minutes. How often is the air refreshed inside a ship? On a plane, everyone will be wearing a mask for the duration for a flight.  On a ship.....yet to be seen.

I'll be flying down to Aruba next month. Everyone on the plane will be wearing a mask and will be require to test negative for Covid 72 hours prior to departure. Does that mean I'm 100% safe. Of course not. But I'm probably safer on that plane then I am at my local supermarket or my neighbors Halloween party. Or a cruise ship. 'Nuff said. 

Also keep in mind that a cruise ship is more than just the transportation part.

If one looks at some of the closed down activities on land, due to potential spread many of them are included in cruise ships.

indoor dining  

indoor bars and lounges

theaters

live performances

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

...I mean, why would they want to welcome the greater potential of risk, liability, work and lawsuits if they could just stay the course...

On the other side of the coin, if they don't sail their revenue and stock prices go down.  They are also facing investor lawsuits at the moment and will continue if they don't restart soon. 

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2020/10/09/585988.htm

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

On the other side of the coin, if they don't sail their revenue and stock prices go down.  They are also facing investor lawsuits at the moment and will continue if they don't restart soon. 

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2020/10/09/585988.htm

Lawyers are just look for the opportunity to make money, this is a prime example, lawyers just being lawyers.  If they were to set sail tomorrow there is probably another lawyer from the same firm just waiting to launch a case against the lines for guests getting Covid, or against the lines for not being prepared for tending to the guests etc... There are going to be lawsuits no matter the case.

Side note, if they don’t have approval to sail how are they to actually sail?  Seems to go against the case mentioned in this article.  Stock is currently at $70+ maintaining its value.

If was them I would not be throwing ropes with guests as it stands today, even if the CDC said go. Let another line face the risks, and follow quickly if all went well. Just me though.

6 hours ago, bouhunter said:

We hope to go to St Maarten in January, their current requirement is a test within 5 days.  I'm curious, have you found somewhere that will "guarantee" your test results in time to meet the requirement?

That's been the challenge as no testing site will guarantee the 3 day turnaround time.   Most say 4-7 days is typical right now, could be longer come early Nov. should case numbers start ticking up. Our trip is scheduled for Nov 7th.

Instead, I've been hanging out on the Aruba forum on TripAdvisor (CC sister site) and my wife joined a few Aruba groups on FB. On both, people have been sharing their personal experiences & places when trying to get their test results within 3 days.  I've already compiled a list of a few test sites where people have had success so fingers crossed, we'll have several options to choose from. Although again, those  are from Aug & Sept time frame. Who knows what the turn around time will be like in 4 weeks.

There is a website called RapidTestTravel that has a list, by state, of labs that were able to give results within 72 hours so hopefully that will give us a few additional options.  It's based in user feedback so I can't vouch for the integrity. I'll let you know in a few weeks. 🙂

One saving grace is that should we not get our results in time, we can get tested upon arriving at Aruba's airport. We just need to quarantine ourselves in our hotel room until the results are available, typically 12-14 hours.  However, the option is not available to residents of "hot spot" states.  They need their test results before boarding the plan. Hopefully Aruba will not designate NY as a "hot spot" in the next 4 weeks.

Lastly, Aruba has a specific list of test types that they will accept (PCR, NAAT, etc) and brands (Abbott, Quidel, etc). The Antigen test doesn't cut it. A few people were in for a rude awakening. So check St Martins official website for similar restrictions

6 hours ago, bouhunter said:

On the insurance, it looks like St Maarten is soon going to require the same, they're modeling it after what Aruba has put in place.

It seems many of the Caribbean islands - especially the smaller ones - seem to be working together to try to come up with similar guidelines to make it easier on travelers.  The cost of the insurance will be the cheapest part of our trip. It was originally $15 pp/pd, then dropped to $7 pp/pd. Even at the higher rate, I spend more on HH drinks from 5-7 so it seems like a deal to me. 😁

Hope all of this rambling helps. Good luck. Apologies to the resr of the CC community for being so off-topic, although maybe the cruise lines can learn from some of the islands. So it's slightly on topic. 😇

Edited by HBE4

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

That's been the challenge as no testing site will guarantee the 3 day turnaround time.   Most say 4-7 days is typical right now, could be longer come early Nov. should case numbers start ticking up. Our trip is scheduled for Nov 7th.

Instead, I've been hanging out on the Aruba forum on TripAdvisor (CC sister site) and my wife joined a few Aruba groups on FB. On both, people have been sharing their personal experiences & places when trying to get their test results within 3 days.  I've already compiled a list of a few test sites where people have had success so fingers crossed, we'll have several options to choose from. Although again, those  are from Aug & Sept time frame. Who knows what the turn around time will be like in 4 weeks.

There is a website called RapidTestTravel that has a list, by state, of labs that were able to give results within 72 hours so hopefully that will give us a few additional options.  It's based in user feedback so I can't vouch for the integrity. I'll let you know in a few weeks. 🙂

One saving grace is that should we not get our results in time, we can get tested upon arriving at Aruba's airport. We just need to quarantine ourselves in our hotel room until the results are available, typically 12-14 hours.  However, the option is not available to residents of "hot spot" states.  They need their test results before boarding the plan. Hopefully Aruba will not designate NY as a "hot spot" in the next 4 weeks.

Lastly, Aruba has a specific list of test types that they will accept (PCR, NAAT, etc) and brands (Abbott, Quidel, etc). The Antigen test doesn't cut it. A few people were in for a rude awakening. So check St Martins official website for similar restrictions

It seems many of the Caribbean islands - especially the smaller ones - seem to be working together to try to come up with similar guidelines to make it easier on travelers.  The cost of the insurance will be the cheapest part of our trip. It was originally $15 pp/pd, then dropped to $7 pp/pd. Even at the higher rate, I spend more on HH drinks from 5-7 so it seems like a deal to me. 😁

Hope all of this rambling helps. Good luck. Apologies to the resr of the CC community for being so off-topic, although maybe the cruise lines can learn from some of the islands. So it's slightly on topic. 😇

Thanks for all the info!  Right now St Maarten requires a test within 5 days of travel.  Who knows what it will be in January.....