Meeting with VP and Cruise Industry Happening Today

Anton

2 hours ago, Jeff13 said:

People can't be honest with transparency.  The follow up should be transparent.  But initial discussions need to be closed.  Once they come to some kind of understanding, then they can be transparent.  Of course, if they can not come to a common understanding, then the lack of transparency after makes it transparent that they can not agree on what comes next.

But if people can't be honest with transparency, and they offered transparency after agreement, wouldn't that statement of agreement be dishonest (because it was transparent)? 

1 hour ago, danv3 said:

I'm not sure we can replicate what's happening in Germany or Italy in the US right now.  Our infection numbers are multiple times worse.

Cases in Germany and Italy are spiking, as well as much of Europe.  They may need to rethink things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Well, you live in PA, which is a state locked down for 7 months, and Florida is a state wide open, and staying pretty flat.  So, the risk will be around for a long time, and it would be up to anyone booking to decide to go or not to go.......I would have no problem going in November 

What!    We were Not in Lockdown for 7 months in PA.    Wherever you got that information that is completely wrong.     We started opening up in mid/end of May and by mid June we had salons/gyms/restaurants/bars, etc. all open.      I have been going to work every single day during this whole mess.     PA numbers have been very flat for months.    As of last week we had 1 covid positive person in my suburb/county.      

Hey I'm ready to get on a cruise ship tomorrow if I could.   I have no problem following the protocols they will put in place.     

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

What!    We were Not in Lockdown for 7 months in PA.    Wherever you got that information that is completely wrong.     We started opening up in mid/end of May and by mid June we had salons/gyms/restaurants/bars, etc. all open.      I have been going to work every single day during this whole mess.     PA numbers have been very flat for months.    As of last week we had 1 covid positive person in my suburb/county.      

Hey I'm ready to get on a cruise ship tomorrow if I could.   I have no problem following the protocols they will put in place.     

Also live in PA & have been going to hair & nail salons since May 5th to be exact. Also eating INSIDE restaurants. All malls & stores now open, just have to wear a mask. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

So I disagree that just about everything is outdoors.

You spend considerable time at your resort walking narrow corridors, get on and off transportation, in and out of stores, narrow paths in the parks, in and out of attractions that are mostly housed INSIDE buildings.  Have you see the walk into and out of Space Mountain or Splash Mountain?  All the theaters at EPCOT?  It was a herculean effort to replan thousands of points of social distancing and mark it and train staff to enforce it.

There is a lot to learn there.

I am Not in anyway saying that cruise lines should remain shut down.    I have been watching for months all the protocols and successful sailing videos of MSC and TUI and I am all ready to get on a cruise ship tomorrow if I could    I have had several cruises cancelled for 2020 and I have another 8 cruises booked for 2021 and 1 more for Dec 2020.      

But I would never compare going to disney world for a day or couple days anywhere near the environment of living on a cruise ship with the same people for 24/7 and eating meals / drinks indoors with no masks on.     Nothing like standing in a line for space mountain where you most likely won't see those people when you done the ride.

2 minutes ago, LorraineP said:

Also live in PA & have been going to hair & nail salons since May 5th to be exact. Also eating INSIDE restaurants. All malls & stores now open, just have to wear a mask. 

Looks like your states chart is ticking up. Middle of Jun you were averaging 383 new daily cases and yesterday you had 1,421 new cases. Definitely not controlling the virus by any means.

PN.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Looks like your states chart is ticking up. Middle of Jun you were averaging 383 new daily cases and yesterday you had 1,421 new cases. Definitely not controlling the virus by any means.

PN.JPG

And the majority of that rise is for the counties that have colleges/universities that re-opened.      I go back and forth to the beach at LBI, NJ and all fine there too.     We have all remained consistently flat (other than minor spikes when schools re-opened and college kids don't follow mask rules in their dorms, etc.). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

PN.JPG

Maybe numbers went up but the important number is how many hospitalized & how many deaths. I know 4 college students that had it, only symptoms no taste or couldn’t smell. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Well this answers nothing

Yup, nothing to write home about in that meeting.     Basically, Pence has to take it to his boss to be reviewed, hopefully he remembers the report is in the back seat of his car....a fly would have been bored in that meeting.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Curious, how many weeks/months did that last? Do you happen to know by chance?

Lasted only 2 days, both smell & taste. Guess mild cases for 2 boys. The other group at a Florida campus were about the same & are now in Key West for weekend. My thinking is how many of these spiked cases were as mild. 

Everyone just calm down. Be patient. We cannot do anything (except complain) about what is going to get cruising going again.

The cruise lines have plans in place to get the ships sailing again. It is up to government to bless the plans. How long that will take is just a guessing game. The same can be said for the regulations that will be in place for the passengers.

It is 'fun' to guess or second guess what is going on, but it is not 'our' plans that will go into effect. All we can do is cancel, lift and shift or just wait. It is not pleasant. We just have to get on with our lives the best we can at the moment.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No Political Posts....Please Remember Our Purpose   

The world has become a changing place; we're all stressed, worried and nothing makes sense any longer.  We've lost  jobs, the security of every day life, some experience health issues and yes, some have even lost friends and family.

For 25 years we've provided this haven for cruisers.  KEYWORD:  haven.    I'm asking that you all remember that.  This is our place to escape, connect with friends and to discuss your favorite form of travel -- cruising.

Don't bring politics into your posts.  Soften your "virtual" voice when you respond to others.  Re-read before you push the submit button.  Let's set an example for the rest of the travel world by displaying who we are!  Remember, we're all in this together.

Thank you for listening, and for your anticipated cooperation,

LauraS and the Cruise Critic Community Team

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

The world has become a changing place; we're all stressed, worried and nothing makes sense any longer.  We've lost  jobs, the security of every day life, some experience health issues and yes, some have even lost friends and family.

For 25 years we've provided this haven for cruisers.  KEYWORD:  haven.    I'm asking that you all remember that.  This is our place to escape, connect with friends and to discuss your favorite form of travel -- cruising.

Don't bring politics into your posts.  Soften your "virtual" voice when you respond to others.  Re-read before you push the submit button.  Let's set an example for the rest of the travel world by displaying who we are!  Remember, we're all in this together.

Great post. Thank you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Great 👍 Thanks 🙏 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Reading through, what does this statement mean “cruise industries would have to backstop their venture...”?

To me it means that the HHS and CDC still stand by their requirement for the cruise lines to provide private health care facilities, private transportation services, and private quarantine facilities on shore, as they have since the no sail order was first issued.

• Like 3

They should all have the same motivation, getting cruising back on line when it's safe for all parties, not only the cruisers, but the people back home that could be infected by carriers. I know nothing is 100%. How and when they get there is anybody's guess.
Is this a requirement for Airlines? No, so why should it be for cruise lines?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Is this a requirement for Airlines? No, so why should it be for cruise lines?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Airlines don’t pose the risk of spreading the virus that the cruise ships do, so they probably are doing enough. The time spent on a plane is no where near the time spent on a cruise ship, also known as floating Petri dishes. Airlines are essential, world wide, cruise ships are not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Airlines don’t pose the risk of spreading the virus that the cruise ships do, so they probably are doing enough. The time spent on a plane is no where near the time spent on a cruise ship, also known as floating Petri dishes. Airlines are essential, world wide, cruise ships are not.

This is the DUMBEST statement I ever heard. You do realize what is happening here is BECAUSE of someone on an airplane?

I love how people have no concept whatsoever of how a virus can be transmitted. And let me tell you, you can ABSOLUTELY be infected on airlines and far more so than on a cruise ship. The reason they don't have statistics on it is because they didn't want to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

To me it means that the HHS and CDC still stand by their requirement for the cruise lines to provide private health care facilities, private transportation services, and private quarantine facilities on shore, as they have since the no sail order was first issued.

If CDC sticks to that, there won't be cruises out of the US for a long time.  

13 hours ago, sandebeach said:

Reading through, what does this statement mean “cruise industries would have to backstop their venture...”?

I’m assuming it is a baseball analogy that if a ball (Covid infected passenger) gets past the catcher (safety protocols) you have a barrier (quarantine, therapeutics, preventives) so it doesn’t harm anybody else in the stands (passengers).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I wondered about the use of the word "backstop".  This makes sense.  And isn't good news for December hopefuls.