The while-we-wait-for-river-cruises photo quiz

notamermaid

Giverny, interesting idea. I think I have seen those boats before, on photos "aus dem Osten", somewhere in the East of Germany. Canals and lakes. I do not think it is the Spreewald, those places look wilder, this is tamed and sculptured I think. East of me, I would say definitely somewhat connected to Elbe river cruises.

notamermaid

51 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Giverny, interesting idea. I think I have seen those boats before, on photos "aus dem Osten", somewhere in the East of Germany. Canals and lakes. I do not think it is the Spreewald, those places look wilder, this is tamed and sculptured I think. East of me, I would say definitely somewhat connected to Elbe river cruises.

notamermaid

Elbe is always a good idea, if I present a region and correct in this case.

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Is it the lake with the white bridge "Weiße Brücke" and the Wolfskanal in the Dessau Wörlitz landscaped garden, which makes it a Elbe river excursion?

notamermaid

It is. To be precise, it is in the Wörlitz landscaped gardens, which are part of the Unesco world heritage site "Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm".

The Wörlitz landscaped gardens were built in the 1770ies, compiling some greatest hits of landscaped gardens in England by the local prince and mixed with travel memories, even a volcano (my last joker for the quiz). Open to the public from the beginning it is a masterpiece of the time of enlightenment and, together with other landscaped gardens, part of the Unesco-Site.

Wörlitz was an excursion of the Viking Elbe cruise until 2018, now they skipped it. But in some years those gondola-tours were the only opportunity to get some water under the keel °°.

Over to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnhaltER1960 said:

It is. To be precise, it is in the Wörlitz landscaped gardens, which are part of the Unesco world heritage site "Dessau-Wörlitz Garden Realm".

The Wörlitz landscaped gardens were built in the 1770ies, compiling some greatest hits of landscaped gardens in England by the local prince and mixed with travel memories, even a volcano (my last joker for the quiz). Open to the public from the beginning it is a masterpiece of the time of enlightenment and, together with other landscaped gardens, part of the Unesco-Site.

Wörlitz was an excursion of the Viking Elbe cruise until 2018, now they skipped it. But in some years those gondola-tours were the only opportunity to get some water under the keel °°.

Over to you.

It looks gorgeous! Would love to visit.

@AnhaltER1960 Thanks for all the info. The place looks even better and more interesting than I thought. That bridge certainly has a kind of "Giverny air" about it. I did not know that Monet had designed the garden with that bridge himself, I thought he just moved there. I have never been. Likewise I did not know that Wörlitz garden was modelled partly on Stourhead in England! Stourhead has been on my garden places to visit for years. Well, I will put Dessau Wörlitz on my list now as well. I first heard about it in connection with the furniture made by David Roentgen in Neuwied on the Rhine (went to an exhibition there) for the palace at Wörlitz but up to now have never looked at the park in detail.

Thanks!

Okay, enough talking, time for guessing. This is probably easy. Last festive photo from me for this winter - unless I scan my old photos.

Guess the town and the river. If you want an extra challenge tell us where you get to when you walk under the arches, but this is not needed for the answer. First person to guess town and river gets to post the next photo:

1440491369_IMG__165824-Kopie.thumb.jpg.516e9ca3ecb771841ae10d65b1e69a56.jpg

notamermaid

Looks like Am Plan, Koblenz (Rhine, Moselle). After entering the arch, you would usually enter the Christmas Market (not this year though). 

Or, you can check-out the Königsbacher Biergarten which overlooks the Moselle. 😄

Edited by dogs4fun

55 minutes ago, Daisi said:

Koblenz Jesuitenplatz, Rhine River?

Yes. Quick answer, as I expected. :classic_biggrin:

54 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Looks like Am Plan, Koblenz (Rhine, Moselle). After entering the arch, you would usually enter the Christmas Market (not this year though). 

Or, you can check-out the Königsbacher Biergarten which overlooks the Moselle. 😄

Very close, of course you also got what I had asked for, Daisi just beat you to it. Am Plan is round another corner from there, first through the arch is Jesuitenplatz. The beer garden is very scenic, indeed.

I managed to go to Koblenz a good week ago. It was rather empty. Alas, with no Christmas market it would hardly have been fuller before Christmas. This is the full photo I took. Hidden behind the lovely big tree is the spitting fountain "Schängel":

IMG_20210103_165824.thumb.jpg.205b548ae545dc73a295f9a2bbdf71cb.jpg

Over to you, Daisi.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
spelling

Hidden behind the trees... 

Guess the town and the river. If you want an extra challenge tell us where you get to when you walk under the arches, but this is not needed for the answer. First person to guess town and river gets to post the next photo:

DSC02596.JPG

Edited by Daisi

@Daisi the little section before you walk onto Jesuitensquare is called Willi-Hörter-Platz, after a former mayor of Koblenz. But that would have been too difficult. Nice shot of the naughty boy.

By the, way, you have copied my instruction for guessing the photo word for word. Don't think it is going to confuse, though.

I am sure I have seen that church before. I wonder if it will be familiar to others as much as to me... :classic_smile:

notamermaid

7 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@Daisi the little section before you walk onto Jesuitensquare is called Willi-Hörter-Platz, after a former mayor of Koblenz. But that would have been too difficult. Nice shot of the naughty boy.

By the, way, you have copied my instruction for guessing the photo word for word. Don't think it is going to confuse, though.

I am sure I have seen that church before. I wonder if it will be familiar to others as much as to me... :classic_smile:

notamermaid

Sorry about that, didn't even realise the extra bit.  Just wanted to make sure I had all the right stuff about guessing the pic.

The section I was referring to was the part with the naughty boy.

Yes, you probably do know the church.  Hoping the trees will help disguise it a bit. 🙂

I really like Saint Castor's hiding behind the trees. It reminds of my day trip to Koblenz during the Federal Horticulture Show in 2011. Among other places, I visited the church and the grounds were beautifully enhanced with flowers and special plant displays had been put up all over the old town.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Spelling

Guess the town and the river. First person to guess town and river gets to post the next photo.

You'll easily find this one with Google Images but it'll be more fun if you only use other internet resources.

IMG_3808.JPG