QM2 transatlantic: 3 dinner sittings?

Eric2005

I understand that Cunard are considering three dinner sittings.  That would mean a rushed meal, especially for those of us who take our time to eat.  I understand the safety issue and the need for social distancing but I wonder if once such a plan is implemented it will stay in place after the Covid crisis is over.   

I called Cunard two weeks ago regarding our May 2021 crossing reservation and was told by the representative that 3 dinner seatings was under consideration as a possible safety step but that no decision has been made. Now this agent may have no more accurate information than I do but the fact that he freely volunteered this possibly is interesting. He also mentioned that a small block of cabins will be held empty to serve as an isolation area for passengers and crew who might become infected with the COVID-19. He spoke of this as fact not just consideration. He went on to say that this whole situation is very fluid and that actual on-board restrictions will not be decided until shortly before departure and may change quickly once they resume operations. 

All this makes sense to me and I also recognize that for much of the situation, Cunard's hands are tied by whatever restrictions are imposed by the UK, the US and CLIA. 

Jack

2 hours ago, Eric2005 said:

I understand that Cunard are considering three dinner sittings.  That would mean a rushed meal, especially for those of us who take our time to eat.  I understand the safety issue and the need for social distancing but I wonder if once such a plan is implemented it will stay in place after the Covid crisis is over.   

For Club and Grills?

13 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

If you had to socially distance  grills  with a full complement of passengers would need to be split into two sittings

2 set?  Then Dining is not a Grills or Club experience.

Can't see set working.

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I called Cunard two weeks ago regarding our May 2021 crossing reservation and was told by the representative that 3 dinner seatings was under consideration as a possible safety step but that no decision has been made. Now this agent may have no more accurate information than I do but the fact that he freely volunteered this possibly is interesting. He also mentioned that a small block of cabins will be held empty to serve as an isolation area for passengers and crew who might become infected with the COVID-19. He spoke of this as fact not just consideration. He went on to say that this whole situation is very fluid and that actual on-board restrictions will not be decided until shortly before departure and may change quickly once they resume operations. 

All this makes sense to me and I also recognize that for much of the situation, Cunard's hands are tied by whatever restrictions are imposed by the UK, the US and CLIA. 

Jack

An agent told me the same.  Personally I don't want  to sail if we are still in this crisis.  A rushed dinner, masks etc will make the trip unpleasant.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I agree but how else do you get a metre between tables. 

As this is a fantasy site.

No inside staterooms; PG becomes QG2; Club becomes PG1; Verandah becomes PG2; Upper levels Britannia (windows) becomes Club [Partitioned off left side on QV and QE with Britannia dining  entering to the righ], then allocate the two top or bottom tiers on QM to Club.

Remaining tables in Britannia for Britannia.

To cover the small loss of revenue for insides, amertise the value over those sailing.

Again pure fantasy. 

If 2 sittings in grills,  club is enough to trigger an option for a refund and if Cunard think many will opt for it, then Cunard may have to do something along the lines Port Royal suggests , rather than loose top revenue customers. However it will take more than just no inside cabins to make ship empty enough for this to work.

9 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

No changes to dining will be required if they only carry 30-50% of capacity.   Certainly did not see this mentioned in Cunard’s October COVID 19 protocols.

So, no insides, no outsides, no covered balconies and no obstructed balconies, with a 50% price increase for those sailing.  

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

So, no insides, no outsides, no covered balconies and no obstructed balconies, with a 50% price increase for those sailing.  

50% increase will trigger potential refunds for everyone.

Cruise lines are between a rock and a hard place,  I think they will sail at a loss to begin with just to keep hopes up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

50% increase will trigger potential refunds for everyone.

Cruise lines are between a rock and a hard place,  I think they will sail at a loss to begin with just to keep hopes up.

Agreed.

But not fantasy land this time, feel there is pent up Cunarder demand to 'push the boat out' (no pun intended) and spend seriously once sailing resumes.  Think the onboard revenue levels will be exceptional, and I for one will be part of the those, not only consumables, but also with fat enveloped gratuities, because "what goes around.........".

Since I'm not sailing until 2022 I have until the end of December to ask for my deposit back.  I hope that by then health conditions will not require masks and social distancing however I am not counting on it.  Three sittings in Britannia means rushing diners through their meals.  Not for me.  If everyone has to be distanced a meter from the next person (how is this possible?) there can be little conversation - a lot of Cunarders are hard-of-hearing to begin with.   If I have to wear a mask all day long I'd rather another type of holiday that affords me more freedom.  

My reliable source, shore side ( Carnival House  - Cunard corporate F&B department ) informs me, "Here in the UK   (Southhampton head office) the suggestion of additional dinner sittings has never been suggested or discussed."  

Hopefully they are correct 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Presumably one of the reasons so many of the available cruises seem already pretty full is that Cunard are only selling a proportion of cabins. I know they have the most annoying IT in the world, but they are not entirely daft.

I asked my travel agent to enquire as to the reduction in capacity. (We have a QM2 voyage booked for a year from now.) She was told that the capacity restrictions apply to each stateroom category, not simply a percentage of the overall capacity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david,Mississauga said:

capacity restrictions apply to each stateroom category,

By "stateroom category" do you mean Britannia/Princess/Queens, or Inside/Obstructed/Sheltered/Balcony within Britannia well?

I could see selling a reduced capacity in each Britannia stateroom type, or I could see potential benefit in the worst case in selling only balcony staterooms and blocking insides and Oceanview (I haven't run a trial booking to see capacities across the board). 

2 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

By "stateroom category" do you mean Britannia/Princess/Queens, or Inside/Obstructed/Sheltered/Balcony within Britannia well?

I could see selling a reduced capacity in each Britannia stateroom type, or I could see potential benefit in the worst case in selling only balcony staterooms and blocking insides and Oceanview (I haven't run a trial booking to see capacities across the board). 

Your "reduced capacity" theory has legs, because this year my BIL and DW decided to join us on QV WC 2022 (we booked 12 months earlier).  He thought "Select Stateroom from whole ship" - but received a "Select from a shortish list".

22 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

It'll be interesting, since itineraries through 2021 (when did WC 2022 open?) went on sale several months before COVID (I booked Christmas 2021 in December 2019). 

Don't know the exact date for QV WC22 opened, but we booked 19 December 2019  (typo for 12 months - should have read 8/9 months as thought booked earlier earlier)

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

Reduced capacity will get things going

Cruise lines won't be aiming for a  profit,  in the short-term they will "be happy " to sail if they make a smaller loss by sailing than by not sailing. We don't know their fixed costs which they have to pay even when at anchor,  but they are substantial , as long as they cover the marginal  costs of food wages fuel it makes sense to sail and is an investment for the future. 

It is in a few years time when they are concentrating on paying back all this money I think prices will go up considerably. 

• Like 1