Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

But before I go, here are the answers to today’s Trivia questions.

1.  What rock makes the cheapest and softest form of sandpaper? Slate

2.  What is the first group in Billboard history to replace itself on the top of the charts? The Beatles, who had 3 top chart hits, one after the other.

3.  Which electronics and car company name means ‘three diamonds?’ Mitsubishi

4.  How long is the course used for events staged by the World Organisation of Racing Maggots? One foot

Well done everyone who took part!

I have fun every night, Ellie choosing what I think you would have for dinner!  I was right again last night.  We never skip the appetizers as they are often a high point of the meal.  You could have tried Poke!😄

Just hearing at the moment that we are going into lockdown for another month.  This will certainly be a unique Christmas for all.  I've cooked the family dinner for ages, so I won't know what to do with myself!

Wonder what it will be like in England?

• Like 1

I want to be the first one to welcome you to Honolulu.  In all of my years on the island, I can count the times on ONE hand that I have been awake to see the sun rise over Diamond Head.  I've seen lots and lot and lots of sunsets (and even a green flash on the horizon).

DSCN3859.thumb.JPG.f28580f247517730c4a4bc69d4518cf6.JPG

DSCN3864.thumb.JPG.7607fd0210a55d53100c2a9a8309f829.JPG

• Like 3

Before you leave the Big Island Ellie, another suggestion for your next trip.  After renting your car and stopping by the Volcano National Park, keep going and drive to Punalu'u Beach.  It is around 60 miles from Hilo and only 18 miles from the Volcano.

This is a true black sand beach and also a nesting area for Hawksbill and Green turtles.  It is spectacular!  Just don't do what we did the first time - the sign says to stay 30 feet away from them, except someone had obliterated the 0.  So there we were staying the full 3 feet away when we were taken to task about being 27 feet too close............. 

This is also a Tsunami area.  Little did we know that several hours after departing, the big tsunami hit.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I have fun every night, Ellie choosing what I think you would have for dinner!  I was right again last night.  We never skip the appetizers as they are often a high point of the meal.  You could have tried Poke!😄

Just hearing at the moment that we are going into lockdown for another month.  This will certainly be a unique Christmas for all.  I've cooked the family dinner for ages, so I won't know what to do with myself!

Wonder what it will be like in England?

Oh gosh, I must be really easy to read, TeaBag. 🤣 To be honest I’m a bit of a creature of habit, so no wonder you were right about my choices. I can tell you that if a soufflé is on the menu I will definitely have that! 

I’m so sorry to hear about the lockdown, but it seems this virus is SO incredibly difficult to control. It’s going to be a real struggle keeping people on track before the vaccine becomes available to everyone, and that is definitely not an easy job, and it’s going to take a lot of time.

I am sure that you will find ways to enjoy Christmas as much as you can this year, with the hope that next year we will all be free to see and hug each other. That is what I miss most. 

Here in the UK we have come out of lockdown into a Tier System, but unfortunately parts of the country are experiencing surges of infection - Wales for example. 

As for Christmas, well the regulations here have been modified so we can apparently meet up with our families (3 households) but I think that is crazy as it could become a super spreader event. We both want to be here next Christmas, to hopefully see a new grandchild experience his first Christmas, so we must be very cautious and continue to ‘wash hands, cover face, make space’ and to limit our contacts. 

Although today is a momentous day for the UK, and perhaps the world, with the first vaccinations taking place, it’s going to be a LONG haul to vaccinate all those willing to be vaccinated. But maybe we can see a pinprick of light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

I truly hope so.

And I hope that all of you, and your families, remain fit and healthy and Covid free, and that you all have a safe, if very different Christmas. 🎄

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I want to be the first one to welcome you to Honolulu.  In all of my years on the island, I can count the times on ONE hand that I have been awake to see the sun rise over Diamond Head.  I've seen lots and lot and lots of sunsets (and even a green flash on the horizon).

DSCN3859.thumb.JPG.f28580f247517730c4a4bc69d4518cf6.JPG

DSCN3864.thumb.JPG.7607fd0210a55d53100c2a9a8309f829.JPG

Thank you so much, cr8tiv1, for your very kind welcome to Honolulu. I am very excited to be revisiting it again! 😉

What beautiful photos! Thank you so much for posting them. 

18 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Before you leave the Big Island Ellie, another suggestion for your next trip.  After renting your car and stopping by the Volcano National Park, keep going and drive to Punalu'u Beach.  It is around 60 miles from Hilo and only 18 miles from the Volcano.

This is a true black sand beach and also a nesting area for Hawksbill and Green turtles.  It is spectacular!  Just don't do what we did the first time - the sign says to stay 30 feet away from them, except someone had obliterated the 0.  So there we were staying the full 3 feet away when we were taken to task about being 27 feet too close............. 

This is also a Tsunami area.  Little did we know that several hours after departing, the big tsunami hit.  

That sounds a great idea, RLK33853. I would love to visit that beach, and see the turtles. We will try to remember to stay 30ft away, too! 🤣 🐢

My goodness, that was a lucky escape from the tsunami. How scary! 

17 hours ago, Westaussie said:

Many thanks for another virtual cruise!   Hope that once you've had a break you'll bring us another one.

Stay safe and enjoy the festive season as best as one can this year.  Vera

You are so very welcome Vera. I just hope people are enjoying this one, as I know there are lots of Hawaii experts out there who know a lot more about it than I do!  But I am really enjoying revisiting this cruise and seeing all those beautiful islands again.

I wish you a safe and a happy Christmas, too. I think that Australia and New Zealand are two of the only places on earth who have Covid under control. 

How we both long to return to one of our favourite places on earth, with some of the friendliest people we have ever met. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

The vaccines are starting to roll out.  Good news for all us cruisers

It is, indeed AF-1. When we have had our vaccines we must meet in McDonalds for a celebratory burger! 🤣  Virtually of course.... 🍔🍟

5 hours ago, winifred said:

As you say Ellie a momentous Day!! To see Nurses and some elderly patients on TV last night receiving the first vaccines in the UK was a moment in history!! Some hope for Christmas for us all.  

It certainly is, Winifred! Wonderful to see those elderly people having their vaccinations and being so grateful.

Mind you, we must not get too carried away, as cruising is still a long way off I think. It is going to take time for the vaccine to make an impact, and of course the vaccine is no good unless people will get vaccinated. But it is amazing how everyone is working hard to organise this difficult roll-out. The vaccine has so many problems with storing it that I think it is incredible that they have managed to get it to people so quickly.

What an amazing achievement for all those scientists across the world who are working so hard to try and stop this pandemic. And of course, to all the medics, doctors, nurses, health care workers, and care home staff who have done a sterling job.

Let’s hope we all stay safe and well until we can receive the vaccine.

I for one can’t wait.

• Like 3

My mum is 87 and she has lived through so much, WW2, rationing,being evacuated as a child  and she remembers  huge vaccination  programmes for small pox and TB growing up. She has always had a  positive  outlook in life,  never  complains,  and all she wants is a wee trip  round the shops followed by a cappucino  and cake! It really cannot come quick enough for me  to make her safe. 

I often show her your posts which she enjoys reading as she and my late father enjoyed many cruises and I was lucky to go with them once with my husband and daughters, since then we  have taken my  mum  and mother in law along with us on several others.  

You are right when you say it will all take time and cruising is for the longer term  future but its amazing to think that we have some hope at last.  We just have to stay safe till then and not forget that this virus is still out there and does not care about our Christmas plans! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

It is, indeed AF-1. When we have had our vaccines we must meet in McDonalds for a celebratory burger! 🤣  Virtually of course.... 🍔🍟

Aww c'mon, Ellie, when you get your vaccine you need something better than a McD's burger to celebrate!  You know what?  We haven't eaten out or even got take out since April!!!  So, I guess a McD's burger would taste like a celebration to us.  Chinese is what I want!

Kudos to the 91 yr old lady who was first to receive the vaccination.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 3

I'll walk down to Kahala Beach around 4am. Have the Captain turn on the lights bright and I'll throw you a shaka as I watch you sail around Diamond Head on your way to dock past Waikiki. It's gonna be little dark in Honolulu as most restaurants are closed as are a lot of hotels. Anyways, Aloha and have a great stop here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Yehootu said:

I'll walk down to Kahala Beach around 4am. Have the Captain turn on the lights bright and I'll throw you a shaka as I watch you sail around Diamond Head on your way to dock past Waikiki. It's gonna be little dark in Honolulu as most restaurants are closed as are a lot of hotels. Anyways, Aloha and have a great stop here.

We are not far from each other, but no way am I up at 4 AM to join you for a sailby.  Google says 1 mile.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Where in Waikiki can someone get something to eat 24hrs;  if that is possible.  Thanks

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

We are not far from each other, but no way am I up at 4 AM to join you for a sailby.  Google says 1 mile.  

I like to get up and do my 4 mile walk in the morning and watch the sunrise taking a swim at Hunakai beach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Where in Waikiki can someone get something to eat 24hrs;  if that is possible.  Thanks

I try to stay away from Waikiki, actually now it's not so bad. The one go to for 24hr food would be the Dennys on Kuhio, 1 block mauka of the zoo. You can always get something from an ABC store.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:01 PM, winifred said:

My mum is 87 and she has lived through so much, WW2, rationing,being evacuated as a child  and she remembers  huge vaccination  programmes for small pox and TB growing up. She has always had a  positive  outlook in life,  never  complains,  and all she wants is a wee trip  round the shops followed by a cappucino  and cake! It really cannot come quick enough for me  to make her safe. 

I often show her your posts which she enjoys reading as she and my late father enjoyed many cruises and I was lucky to go with them once with my husband and daughters, since then we  have taken my  mum  and mother in law along with us on several others.  

You are right when you say it will all take time and cruising is for the longer term  future but its amazing to think that we have some hope at last.  We just have to stay safe till then and not forget that this virus is still out there and does not care about our Christmas plans! 

Your mum and her generation went through so much, didn’t they, but they were survivors. I hope that she will soon get the vaccine and be able to restore some normality to her life. 

Glad to hear she enjoys the virtual cruise - send her my good wishes when you see her please. 

You are absolutely right about the virus, Winifred, we cannot take our eye off the ball. As you say, the virus cares nothing for Christmas, so we must be careful and circumspect. Better to have a small Christmas and be alive to share happier times next year. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 7:50 PM, TeaBag said:

Aww c'mon, Ellie, when you get your vaccine you need something better than a McD's burger to celebrate!  You know what?  We haven't eaten out or even got take out since April!!!  So, I guess a McD's burger would taste like a celebration to us.  Chinese is what I want!

Kudos to the 91 yr old lady who was first to receive the vaccination.

Ha, ha! You are right, that after all this lock down business, any meal out is bliss! Can hardly remember what it’s was like to sit in a busy restaurant enjoying a meal without looking round to see if everyone is wearing a mask and not coughing....

That lady was a real trooper. She was so positive and eager. Wonderful to see.