Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

22 hours ago, Yehootu said:

I'll walk down to Kahala Beach around 4am. Have the Captain turn on the lights bright and I'll throw you a shaka as I watch you sail around Diamond Head on your way to dock past Waikiki. It's gonna be little dark in Honolulu as most restaurants are closed as are a lot of hotels. Anyways, Aloha and have a great stop here.

I have spoken to the Captain, and he says that’s no problem. The lights will be shining brightly as we look out for you! See you soon!

57 minutes ago, ellie1145 said:

That sounds like a wonderful idea. I guess it’s a beautiful beach. 

The top picture is looking towards Black Point where I'll see you sail past. Bottom picture is looking forwards Koko Head and Portlock.

Aloha, hopefully good weather and traffic for your short visit.

• Like 1

🎶  ‘I’m on my merry way,

I’m on a holiday,

I mean, I’m on my way to Honolulu

The days just drift along

The nights are filled with song,

I hope that I’m not wrong on Honolulu.  🎶

Gracie Allen 

As we leave ‘The Big Island’ behind it is clear that its going to be a bouncy night. We have 199 nautical miles to go, but we only need to average just under 17 knots to get there in time.

Our second Hawaiian island, the island of Oahu, is also known as ‘The Gathering Place.’

I am sure even those who have never visited it will know of its fame as the home of Pearl Harbour, and also the location of Waikiki Beach, although it also has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Oahu is the third largest island and the state capital, Honolulu is on the southeast coast. It is home to about one million people and is composed of to volcanoes.

Now here is a little bit of trivia for you - did you know that Oahu had the longest rain shower in history - 200 consecutive days! It is sometimes called the Rainbow State as it experiences frequent rain showers.

Oahu was the setting for the TV series, ‘Lost’ and the actress Nicole Kidman was born in Honolulu.

Jack Lord, of ‘Hawaii Five-0 fame starred in the popular series for all 12 seasons, and died in Honolulu.

BBE0A291-35F8-42AF-A731-1B51253BB558.thumb.jpeg.26a03a65798d5420f0d3484d9e6eb0e3.jpeg

Who doesn’t remember that famous line, ‘Book ‘em, Danno!’

We used to watch Hawaii Five-0 back in the 70s, and we had absolutely no idea that one day we would actually visit Honolulu. That seemed like a far off dream, one which we never thought we’d never achieve. How wrong we were...

Pearl Harbour - a little information.

D4F7E850-E8E0-40C5-9A3C-51D392ED3D2B.thumb.png.d38155d6f2814359ff78b3e20f9b30e2.png

‘A date which will live in infamy.’

President Franklin D Roosevelt.

I hope our American friends will forgive me if I give a little information about Pearl Harbour. I know that for many Americans, Pearl Harbour remains in their memories, as a very dark day. Not only did I find it fascinating to learn more about what happened that day, but we also have a personal interest in visiting Pearl Harbour, but more of that later.

Pearl Harbour is a deep-water harbour, which can be found west of Honolulu. The United States acquired it in 1875, and it is still the headquarters of the United States Pacific Fleet.

However, in 1941 it was pretty much unprotected. It had not been fortified, as it was felt that the shallow entrance would protect the deep harbour within. There was also no proper plan for the air defence of Hawaii, but had the fleet been at sea, they would have sunk in deep water and been impossible to salvage. Instead, many of the ships were salvaged and all but the Arizona and the Utah were raised.

195CC447-46A0-4028-BC84-941B9DF930F7.thumb.png.aac03e1ef3aef5d9ce1fcb872528878c.png

Of course, Pearl Harbour has to be one of the most infamous attacks on the USA by the Imperial Japanese Navy. On the morning of December 7th, 1941 a surprise attack left 188 aircraft destroyed, 12 American warships destroyed or damaged. Altogether, 21 ships were damaged or lost in the attack, although many were repaired. Luckily all three of the Pacific fleet’s aircraft carriers were absent.

32536D89-EBF6-4A15-862F-DDF8DB6C01A1.thumb.png.c726ab0e9eb7e5d66716d615b04feaad.png

The loss of life was huge, with 2,335 American servicemen and 68 civilians killed, and 1178 wounded. The attack, which was meant to make the Americans sue for peace, actually catapulted them into formally entering World War II on December 8th, and this brought relief to the allies who were struggling to contain the Nazi attacks on several fronts.

6957A184-8B81-44A0-9114-6D86239D1FA2.thumb.png.eae288b6abfb5782793745a8d9bdd3ba.png

It was an extraordinary attack, and one which shook the world. However, the Japanese continued their onslaught, attacking the Philippines on December 8th, and sinking the British Battleships, Prince of Wales and Repulse, off the coast of Malaya, leaving Singapore with no naval support.

As Winston Churchill said later:

Over this vast expanse of waters, Japan was supreme and we everywhere were weak and naked.’

The Arizona, was hit by four armour piercing bombs and it exploded, killing 1,177. It later became a war memorial, where the dead have remained undisturbed in their final watery resting place. 

42BF38A5-F683-48E4-B26E-3B0E4838BC04.jpeg

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, AF-1 said:

TeaBag,   Ellie and I share a taste for fast food and Micky D's.  I had chinese food last week

McD's is probably wondering what happened to us!  We have kept them very alive through the years. 

I am so sorry your AMA cruise was cancelled.  I can't wait to do that again.  We sailed from Budapest to Amsterdam and loved every minute.

• Haha 1

Tea Bag- I need to comment on your post about McD's  wondering what happened to  you etc. It follows right after Ellie's which has brought me to tears.

Ellie just posted on the horrific events that took place on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. Need I repeat the horrible awful loss of life and limb that took place? You follow with your McD entry.

I have difficulty understanding a  post on Mc D's to follow a dramatic description of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I would expect more. Maybe you missed the tattered flag and statement on the resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. Need I say more?

42 minutes ago, Loucat said:

Tea Bag- I need to comment on your post about McD's  wondering what happened to  you etc. It follows right after Ellie's which has brought me to tears.

Ellie just posted on the horrific events that took place on Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. Need I repeat the horrible awful loss of life and limb that took place? You follow with your McD entry.

I have difficulty understanding a  post on Mc D's to follow a dramatic description of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I would expect more. Maybe you missed the tattered flag and statement on the resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. Need I say more?

I think they both posted at exactly the same time so how anyone could know their post is inappropriate?  Please take a second look.

• Like 2

More Pearl Harbor Trivia:

The USS Nevada was the only ship to get powered up.  She didn't make it, but grounded herself at Hospital Point so that she would not block the entrance to the Harbor.

The Japanese could have taken over the island IF.....they had continued their attack.  Fortunately for "us", the attacks stopped and Hawaii was saved.  But, just in case, ALL large bills were stamped with "Hawaii" to make them unusable.  (I worked at a bank and one came across my counter.  This is also the same bank/branch that President Obama's grandmother was an Escrow Officer.)

The original visitor's center was started with a large contribution from Elvis Presley. 

Oahu eventually had an internment camp for Japanese American citizens named Honouliuli Internment Camp.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Papa Yoda said:

I think they both posted at exactly the same time so how anyone could know their post is inappropriate?  Please take a second look.

You are correct, Papa Yoda.

I was posting very late last night, and immediately I posted I heard the ‘ping’ that alerts me to a new post. I always try to double check my posts and I had not even had time to do that, so we were obviously posting at the same time. There would not have been time for anyone to read my post as well as post themselves. 

I fully understand your sadness, Loucat, but I think that in this case it was just one of the vagaries of the internet, and unavoidable.

One of the things which has uplifted me when writing these two virtual journeys is the kindness and positivity of all posters, and I am sure this was just a blip of cyberspace.

Although Pearl Harbour was a great tragedy, it also highlighted the courage and fortitude of Americans, who joined with the brave allies to bring peace to the world. It also shows how, when the world works together, we can do good.

Whilst the pandemic remains devastating, we must not forget those extraordinary acts of kindness and courage, generosity and bravery, hope and inspiration. 

As the saying goes, ‘no man is an island,’ and this pandemic certainly confirms that.

I hope that our virtual visit to Honolulu will be both interesting, uplifting, and at times entertaining. DH and I certainly feel very grateful for having had the opportunity to experience so many things, and to have been able to share our journey with all you wonderful people, across the world.

So, dear Cruising Adventurers, stay with me and I hope you enjoy the ride.

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

More Pearl Harbor Trivia:

The USS Nevada was the only ship to get powered up.  She didn't make it, but grounded herself at Hospital Point so that she would not block the entrance to the Harbor.

The Japanese could have taken over the island IF.....they had continued their attack.  Fortunately for "us", the attacks stopped and Hawaii was saved.  But, just in case, ALL large bills were stamped with "Hawaii" to make them unusable.  (I worked at a bank and one came across my counter.  This is also the same bank/branch that President Obama's grandmother was an Escrow Officer.)

The original visitor's center was started with a large contribution from Elvis Presley. 

Oahu eventually had an internment camp for Japanese American citizens named Honouliuli Internment Camp.

Thank you, cr8tiv1 for those interesting facts.

I guess one of those ‘Hawaii stamped’ notes would now be very valuable.

I had no idea that Elvis Presley contributed to the visitors’ centre. How close Hawaii came to being  captured, like Singapore. It was a very lucky escape. 

14 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

🎶  ‘I’m on my merry way,

I’m on a holiday,

I mean, I’m on my way to Honolulu

The days just drift along

The nights are filled with song,

I hope that I’m not wrong on Honolulu.  🎶

Gracie Allen 

the actress Nicole Kidman was born in Honolulu.

You left out Barack Obama.😘

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Oh my goodness, so I did!

I have no idea about his politics but I really enjoy listening to him. He’s a wonderful  orator. Thanks for reminding me. 🙂

My next door neighbor went to HIGH school with "Barry" and unlike Bill, he did inhale!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, TeaBag said:

McD's is probably wondering what happened to us!  We have kept them very alive through the years. 

I am so sorry your AMA cruise was cancelled.  I can't wait to do that again.  We sailed from Budapest to Amsterdam and loved every minute.

TeaBag;   Ama was to be our first river cruise.  So we had disappointment; but we do plan on trying again in 2022.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You left out Barack Obama.😘

Barack Obama went to Punahou School (same year as my nephew).

Steve Case  of AOL (and brother Congressman Case).  Steve donated the funds to build the entire middle school campus at Punahou.

EBay guy donated funds to build the kindergarten campus at Punahou.  He was not born in Honolulu, but his kids attend Punahou.  

Bette Midler went to Radford HS (near the Arizona Memoria)

Bruno Mars, Jason Momoa, and Kelly Preston

Senator Inouye (this is an entirely new chapter).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Barack Obama went to Punahou School (same year as my nephew).

Steve Case  of AOL (and brother Congressman Case).  Steve donated the funds to build the entire middle school campus at Punahou.

EBay guy donated funds to build the kindergarten campus at Punahou.  He was not born in Honolulu, but his kids attend Punahou.  

Bette Midler went to Radford HS (near the Arizona Memoria)

Bruno Mars, Jason Momoa, and Kelly Preston

Senator Inouye (this is an entirely new chapter).

Steven Case from AOl brothers name was Dan. Dan passed away a few years ago. They lived across the street from me for a few years in Kahala.

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

Steven Case from AOl brothers name was Dan. Dan passed away a few years ago. They lived across the street from me for a few years in Kahala.

My error.  I was referring to Congressman Ed Case (cousin).  I've always said that Hawaii has 2 degrees of separation.  Somebody is related or knows of someone.    We probably ran into each other at some point in our lives.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

When I was stationed on HIckam AFB in the 70's all the kids on base went to Radford HS; which was right around the corner from both HIckam and Pearl Harbor.

I was Class of 76 from Iolani, one of my best friends lived on Hickam and I went to many of the Radford/Hickam parties at Ke'ehi lagoon park.