Come sail with me on a virtual cruise to Hawaii on Ruby Princess

ellie1145

On 12/10/2020 at 2:42 PM, ellie1145 said:

Pearl Harbour - a little information.

D4F7E850-E8E0-40C5-9A3C-51D392ED3D2B.thumb.png.d38155d6f2814359ff78b3e20f9b30e2.png

‘A date which will live in infamy.’

President Franklin D Roosevelt.

I hope our American friends will forgive me if I give a little information about Pearl Harbour. I know that for many Americans, Pearl Harbour remains in their memories, as a very dark day. Not only did I find it fascinating to learn more about what happened that day, but we also have a personal interest in visiting Pearl Harbour, but more of that later.

Pearl Harbour is a deep-water harbour, which can be found west of Honolulu. The United States acquired it in 1875, and it is still the headquarters of the United States Pacific Fleet.

However, in 1941 it was pretty much unprotected. It had not been fortified, as it was felt that the shallow entrance would protect the deep harbour within. There was also no proper plan for the air defence of Hawaii, but had the fleet been at sea, they would have sunk in deep water and been impossible to salvage. Instead, many of the ships were salvaged and all but the Arizona and the Utah were raised.

195CC447-46A0-4028-BC84-941B9DF930F7.thumb.png.aac03e1ef3aef5d9ce1fcb872528878c.png

Of course, Pearl Harbour has to be one of the most infamous attacks on the USA by the Imperial Japanese Navy. On the morning of December 7th, 1941 a surprise attack left 188 aircraft destroyed, 12 American warships destroyed or damaged. Altogether, 21 ships were damaged or lost in the attack, although many were repaired. Luckily all three of the Pacific fleet’s aircraft carriers were absent.

32536D89-EBF6-4A15-862F-DDF8DB6C01A1.thumb.png.c726ab0e9eb7e5d66716d615b04feaad.png

The loss of life was huge, with 2,335 American servicemen and 68 civilians killed, and 1178 wounded. The attack, which was meant to make the Americans sue for peace, actually catapulted them into formally entering World War II on December 8th, and this brought relief to the allies who were struggling to contain the Nazi attacks on several fronts.

6957A184-8B81-44A0-9114-6D86239D1FA2.thumb.png.eae288b6abfb5782793745a8d9bdd3ba.png

It was an extraordinary attack, and one which shook the world. However, the Japanese continued their onslaught, attacking the Philippines on December 8th, and sinking the British Battleships, Prince of Wales and Repulse, off the coast of Malaya, leaving Singapore with no naval support.

As Winston Churchill said later:

Over this vast expanse of waters, Japan was supreme and we everywhere were weak and naked.’

The Arizona, was hit by four armour piercing bombs and it exploded, killing 1,177. It later became a war memorial, where the dead have remained undisturbed in their final watery resting place. 

42BF38A5-F683-48E4-B26E-3B0E4838BC04.jpeg

As a veteran...Thanks for posting this. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mustgo said:

Having visited the war memorial a couple of times, I did the $5 Island tour the last time I was there and may do it again in March of 22.  I am not sure it was exactly $5 but close.  It was an all day senior ticket to ride the public bus.  I walked a couple of short blocks from the ship to catch the public bus.  About half way around the island, I did need to change buses to complete the circle but the second bus was either there or arrived within just a few minutes.  There were some stunning views from the bus.  I think it took about 4 or 5 hours and returned me to a few blocks from the ship.  I caught another bus there to return to the port but had I known how close it was, I would have walked.  My husband was not feeling well that day so I deserted him and had an adventure.  In retrospect we think he was having his first dose ever of sea sickness.  He will now accept my offer of bonine which I need from time to time.  I might have gotten off the bus to explore a couple of pretty sites had I not been alone.

Any information as to what bus lines you used?  Perhaps one would need to allow time for a potty break. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

So happy to see that you are well and absent with cause.  We are entering a very busy couple of weeks.  I am sure everyone will understand if your posts slow down.  Christmas is a lovely time in Hawaii.  There will be no snow in the city and many events have been cancelled due to the Pandemic.  But food and merriment are still available.  

Thank you so much, cr8tiv1 for your very kind words. The next two weeks will certainly be busy for all of us, but in a very different way from normal. I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii.

I know that I look forward to reading all your comments each day, and feel a great sense of community as we continue this adventure. It is amazing to think that across the world, and thanks to CC, we are all joined by the written word.

This year, so many things which I have enjoyed all my life are now too dangerous to do. I used to love Christmas shopping with the stores decorated and Christmas music playing. This year I have done most of my shopping on the internet and that is a first for me, but a very necessary move.

But some things remain nearly the same, and I was so uplifted to watch the Admiralty Carol Concert, joining naval personnel around the world for a celebration of Christmas. The setting was St Anne’s Church in the Naval Dockyard in Portsmouth, a great and historic Naval City, which is a few miles from where we live. Although it had to be virtual, nothing could diminish the beauty of those carols, especially the purity of the voice of the little boy who sang ‘Once in Royal David’s City’ at the start of the concert.

Life has changed and we have had to change and adapt. Although there is light at the end of the tunnel, it is a mere pinprick. We have a very long and hard road ahead of us, and many people across the world have seen their lives shattered by the death of loved ones, the collapse of their businesses, the loss of their jobs, and their homes.

Just as our parents and grandparents did during WWI and WWII, there are sacrifices to be made, but these are sacrifices for the greater good, and to ensure that we are all still around next Christmas when, hopefully, life will have returned to some sort of normal.

I hope that you all stay safe, and well, and that the sacrifices we make this Christmas will ensure that our loved ones are there to hug and celebrate with us next Christmas.

Thank you for following along, and for all your wonderful comments. I feel that over the last 6 months I have got to know you all through these pages, and you have become like a ‘virtual family.’

I wish you all, dear Cruising Adventurers, a very Happy and Safe Christmas, and I send you a virtual hug from across the sea. 🤗

• Like 3

6 hours ago, trbarton said:

Any information as to what bus lines you used?  Perhaps one would need to allow time for a potty break. 

Thanks!

Tom😀

I think this link to Frommer might help.  I no longer have my notes.  I think I had a bottle of water which I drank slowly, no food and no potty stops.  Don't know if I could do it now.

https://www.frommers.com/destinations/oahu/planning-a-trip/getting-around

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trbarton said:

Thanks!

Tom😀

Probably the easiest way to do the circle is to take one of the free shuttles to Ala Moana shopping center (if you take the Hattie shuttle, don't follow the "guide". Once you see the bus stop area, peel off), then go to the first bus that stops and ask the driver which bus you need.

The drivers are very helpful. When we went to the Arizona, we were at the wrong bus stop. When we asked the driver how to get there, he told us to hop on & he'd drop us at the correct stop.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

Thank you so much, cr8tiv1 for your very kind words. The next two weeks will certainly be busy for all of us, but in a very different way from normal. I hope you have a wonderful time in Hawaii.

I know that I look forward to reading all your comments each day, and feel a great sense of community as we continue this adventure. It is amazing to think that across the world, and thanks to CC, we are all joined by the written word.

This year, so many things which I have enjoyed all my life are now too dangerous to do. I used to love Christmas shopping with the stores decorated and Christmas music playing. This year I have done most of my shopping on the internet and that is a first for me, but a very necessary move.

But some things remain nearly the same, and I was so uplifted to watch the Admiralty Carol Concert, joining naval personnel around the world for a celebration of Christmas. The setting was St Anne’s Church in the Naval Dockyard in Portsmouth, a great and historic Naval City, which is a few miles from where we live. Although it had to be virtual, nothing could diminish the beauty of those carols, especially the purity of the voice of the little boy who sang ‘Once in Royal David’s City’ at the start of the concert.

Life has changed and we have had to change and adapt. Although there is light at the end of the tunnel, it is a mere pinprick. We have a very long and hard road ahead of us, and many people across the world have seen their lives shattered by the death of loved ones, the collapse of their businesses, the loss of their jobs, and their homes.

Just as our parents and grandparents did during WWI and WWII, there are sacrifices to be made, but these are sacrifices for the greater good, and to ensure that we are all still around next Christmas when, hopefully, life will have returned to some sort of normal.

I hope that you all stay safe, and well, and that the sacrifices we make this Christmas will ensure that our loved ones are there to hug and celebrate with us next Christmas.

Thank you for following along, and for all your wonderful comments. I feel that over the last 6 months I have got to know you all through these pages, and you have become like a ‘virtual family.’

I wish you all, dear Cruising Adventurers, a very Happy and Safe Christmas, and I send you a virtual hug from across the sea. 🤗

I wish you and yours a Very Merry Christmas!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Probably the easiest way to do the circle is to take one of the free shuttles to Ala Moana shopping center (if you take the Hattie shuttle, don't follow the "guide". Once you see the bus stop area, peel off), then go to the first bus that stops and ask the driver which bus you need.

The drivers are very helpful. When we went to the Arizona, we were at the wrong bus stop. When we asked the driver how to get there, he told us to hop on & he'd drop us at the correct stop.

Totally agree - everything runs out of the Ala Moana Center.  Also, "The Bus" drivers are extremely helpful, as are most of the locals that are on "The Bus".  Wondering why I am saying "The Bus" - it's because that is not only the mode of transportation, but also the name of the line.  You can also look on their website for routes, etc.

• Like 1

The Pearl Harbour Visitors Centre

3CCC5C53-CFE4-458B-B605-92661563A6A8.thumb.png.1922681a959cf519c2d6e074c8db40ce.png

40297B91-3697-491A-AE54-4D0F0844CDCE.thumb.jpeg.e01e289fc0b31a3d7ffaacaa8c133b29.jpeg

We make our way off the ship and into the Terminal where there are huge crowds of people. We find our tour queue and line up, and not long after, we are called outside where a  coach is waiting.

7B54F4DB-AAA5-477F-8264-1A63EFA2EAFC.thumb.jpeg.457096325bc67d097664ce4e7bf1fa55.jpeg

The drive is interesting, as we see a little of the island as we pass by the International Airport. After a 20 minute drive we arrive at the entrance to the Pearl Harbour Visitor Centre.

DSC00546.thumb.JPG.938da8d7be6eab8a4235f090b5bbca5e.JPG

DSC00543.thumb.JPG.0c5f09f035dd99d84bd7c56f75e465ec.JPG

DSC00544.thumb.JPG.4afd0f487bed9c1c61478de0aba83ed7.JPG

DSC00545.thumb.JPG.08faf9a978a32dea18498180f1dd5609.JPG

The coach parks outside and our guide give us tickets for the Arizona Memorial Tour, which we will do at 10.30 am. We have already been told that, unfortunately, we will not be able to actually step onto the memorial as the dock where visitors disembark has been closed due to it being damaged back in September 2018. 

Twin 90 ft floating concrete docks which were attached to the visitor centre sank, and inspections by divers had shown more damage than expected. Repairs are ongoing resulting in the closure of the memorial to visitors.

Edited by ellie1145

DSC00553.thumb.JPG.291ab8519f7f9b61b46b54d82164894c.JPG

Our guide accompanies us into the Visitors Centre and instructs us that we should be at the Theatre by 10.20 am. Here we will see a 25 minute presentation of the events leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbour.

Until then we are free to wander the site.

Thanks to cr8tiv1, I actually now know what this little bird is, it’s the rather naughty mynah bird. I know they have a bad reputation, but they are quite cute. This one is certainly watching us intently.

DSC00551.thumb.JPG.2574303d5d20c16bc8555230c829209a.JPG

DSC00552.thumb.JPG.8512dc2fdb34b4ff74278853d4392183.JPG

There are large notices which explain the various areas we can visit - The National Monument (USS Arizona), the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum and park, the Battleship Missouri Memorial, and the Pacific Aviation Museum.

DSC00547.thumb.JPG.c62983330d63f498f0239fe99e660836.JPG

DSC00548.thumb.JPG.439be342e557916565f64187c6fad851.JPG

DSC00549.thumb.JPG.73cbc13c6907f9de470794ac806ae27d.JPG

We are not allowed to bring any bags in with us, and close by there is a Baggage Storage area where people can leave their belongings in a locker for $5.

DSC00550.thumb.JPG.1d2e28b5995b006840257eb1155707ea.JPG

Ahead of us a gentleman has a baby in a carrier. I hope they don’t make him put the baby in a locker!

DSC00555.thumb.JPG.1daf1d7b8c995e4ae70b329d9d867b58.JPG

DSC00554.thumb.JPG.51f5f32faffa7625cfce99dc536ce4a6.JPG

Edited by ellie1145
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, trbarton said:

Thanks!

Tom😀

Another person's review with pictures of their bus trip around the island.  To get the senior all day fare, pay in cash to the driver and show your medicare card.  Their trip had stops.

https://www.wikihow.com/Take-an-Oahu-Scenic-Bus-Ride

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Ellie,   you have so many pictures;  and they are so informative;  your pics tell me the entire story of your port calls

I am so glad you are finding them informative, AF-1.

I hope that you will enjoy our first stop, the amazing USS Blowfish. I will be taking you step by step through this fascinating submarine. 

See you there! 🙂

16 hours ago, mustgo said:

I think this link to Frommer might help.  I no longer have my notes.  I think I had a bottle of water which I drank slowly, no food and no potty stops.  Don't know if I could do it now.

https://www.frommers.com/destinations/oahu/planning-a-trip/getting-around

Thank you very much. Much appreciated. 

Tom😀

7 hours ago, ellie1145 said:

DSC00552.thumb.JPG.8512dc2fdb34b4ff74278853d4392183.JPG

Mynah Bird (sung to "Yellow Bird" tune/ukulele sheet)

4/4 C / G7 /

1. Mynah bird, up high in the banyan tree

C / G7 C

Mynah bird, you rascal of Waikiki,

FC

You just sit and yell by the big hotel

G7 C

Tourists cannot sleep, call you sassy creep.

FC

Soon we make our bed, inside Diamond Head,

G7 C/

You too noisy for me.

C F G7 C Bridge: When I complain to hotel cop, he reply cheerful words,

C FG7/ C

There are three things man cannot stop, taxes and death and de mynah bird.

C/G7 /

2. Mynah bird, up high in de banyan tree,

C / G7 /

FC

Wish I find de way, make you fly away,

G7 C

Even Charlie Chan cannot make you run.

F C G7 C

Maybe FBI trap you by and by. You too clever for me.

C F G7 C Bridge: Wish dat I was the Shepard man, I’d fly into de space,

CF

Like trade winds on the moon I land

G7 / C

First thing I see is you sassy face.

Repeat verse 1 then ending

C (5 counts/cha cha cha) Ending: Mynah bird, mynah bird, my-nah bird.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mustgo said:

Another person's review with pictures of their bus trip around the island.  To get the senior all day fare, pay in cash to the driver and show your medicare card.  Their trip had stops.

https://www.wikihow.com/Take-an-Oahu-Scenic-Bus-Ride

Fantastic information, mustgo, it looks a great way to see the island.

Can’t wait to return. Many thanks!👍

13 hours ago, AF-1 said:

ellie1145;   I will await your USS Blowfish pics; with a Dairy Queen Blizzard in my hand;  or maybe I should have a shaved ice in hand

Well, if you were here in the UK a cup of hot chocolate or a hot tea might be more in order, but I think the Dairy Queen Blizzard sounds just the ticket. Can you order one for me, too, please? 🤣

By the way, I had to look up what a Dairy Queen Blizzard was.......

Edited by ellie1145

13 hours ago, mustgo said:

I am also loving your beautiful pictures and your details and look forward to more.

Thank you so much, mustgo. I appreciate you letting me know. I do sometimes worry that I overload with pictures and words! 😉

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Mynah Bird (sung to "Yellow Bird" tune/ukulele sheet)

4/4 C / G7 /

1. Mynah bird, up high in the banyan tree

C / G7 C

FC

You just sit and yell by the big hotel

G7 C

Tourists cannot sleep, call you sassy creep.

FC

Soon we make our bed, inside Diamond Head,

G7 C/

You too noisy for me.

C F G7 C Bridge: When I complain to hotel cop, he reply cheerful words,

C FG7/ C

There are three things man cannot stop, taxes and death and de mynah bird.

C/G7 /

2. Mynah bird, up high in de banyan tree,

C / G7 /

FC

Wish I find de way, make you fly away,

G7 C

Even Charlie Chan cannot make you run.

F C G7 C

Maybe FBI trap you by and by. You too clever for me.

C F G7 C Bridge: Wish dat I was the Shepard man, I’d fly into de space,

CF

Like trade winds on the moon I land

G7 / C

First thing I see is you sassy face.

Repeat verse 1 then ending

C (5 counts/cha cha cha) Ending: Mynah bird, mynah bird, my-nah bird.

i absolutely love this song! Thank you so much for posting it. 

I am singing it in my head as I type! 🤣

1 minute ago, ellie1145 said:

Well, if you were here in the UK a cup of hot chocolate or a hot tea might be more in order, but I think the Dairy Queen Blizzard sounds just the ticket. Can you order one for me, too, please? 🤣

Sure I can order you a blizzard;  right now Dairy Queen has the peppermint stick blizzard for Christmas.  I had it last year and it is very good

• Haha 1