Ports where once is enough

exlondoner

Well, we love Puerto Quetzal, or rather Antigua, Guatemala.  Such a classic heritage city with Mayan population that reminds me so much of hill tribe people of Thailand.  Have been there three times so far.  The straw market did grow a lot from the first visit in 2009 to the last in 2018.  EM

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Well, we love Puerto Quetzal, or rather Antigua, Guatemala.  Such a classic heritage city with Mayan population that reminds me so much of hill tribe people of Thailand.  Have been there three times so far.  The straw market did grow a lot from the first visit in 2009 to the last in 2018.  EM

Yes Antigua is interesting, but it is not a port, it is a long bus ride from the port. 

4 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Cake 🙂

That has become a four-letter word in the last 24 hours. Not only can we no longer see family this week, I'm now unable to deliver four of the Christmas cakes.

Next time you're in Invergordon I might still have some of it left.

While there certainly are individual ports here and there which I hope to never visit again, I have discovered an entire unspeakable itinerary -- the Western Caribbean, which offers one drab, boring, sometimes unsafe, always uninspiring port after the other  -- along the whole stretch of what might be called the Costa Mierda.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

While there certainly are individual ports here and there which I hope to never visit again, I have discovered an entire unspeakable itinerary -- the Western Caribbean, which offers one drab, boring, sometimes unsafe, always uninspiring port after the other  -- along the whole stretch of what might be called the Costa Mierda.

And I did it on my one and only Princess Cruise. Cozumel, Roatan and Belize City.

On 10/31/2020 at 9:18 AM, Csardas said:

Gibraltar

On 10/31/2020 at 10:26 AM, Ray66 said:

May I ask why? We like it there and think half a day is not enough as there is plenty to do. Cable car to Top of the Rock, Alameda Gardens, Europa Point. It has plenty of history too.

You're probably right. There didn't seem much to do at La Palma, and Las Palmas in Gran Canaria was very built up. We did enjoy the Mountain of Fire in Lanzarote though. We've been to the Canaries twice and wouldn't want to go again. So twice was enough for us.

I too find that a  strange nomination... 

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/10/30/one-way-to-do-gibraltar/

34102194_Gibraltar3Departure.jpg.2116e38aafe93d7ea36642af8bd4bfa6.jpg

Particularly so when it features as the final port of call before heading home...

627545108_GibraltarDutyFreePrices.jpg.59cc90640e28047138883d590f3a0e3d.jpg

😂😂

On 11/2/2020 at 1:46 PM, Summergee said:

I agree with Exlondoner. I did not like Civitavecchia at all. Our tour was cancelled so we just looked round the town. It felt very rundown near the port. If we stop thete again and our tour is cancelled we would stay on the ship.

Why rely on a Tour. Having done Rome to death I have found many outstanding places within an easy train or bus ride. Tarquinia being one perfect example...

12846227_TarquineaTowersview.jpg.4e81298be8e3a8bfa3e2331f956a4e6a.jpg

...home to one of the most outstanding preserved Etruscan burial sites...

1785874003_Tarquinia8EtruscanBurialUrns.jpg.4c72b29ad2c34f98d3da9468aa8bb2b1.jpg

1616709158_Tarquinia9EtruscanBurialTomb.jpg.a3423fb0a34dd1c7b970ff22478d5c44.jpg

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

Why rely on a Tour. Having done Rome to death I have found many outstanding places within an easy train or bus ride. Tarquinia being one perfect example...

12846227_TarquineaTowersview.jpg.4e81298be8e3a8bfa3e2331f956a4e6a.jpg

...home to one of the most outstanding preserved Etruscan burial sites...

Agree, Richard.  Three years ago we were taking a cruise starting in Civitavecchia.  Arriving three days early, we did not want Rome again so looked at a map and followed the railway line up the coast from the port until the first place we came to was....Tarquinia.  Perfect!  Loved it.  We were sitting one morning in a local cafe when two ladies came in and sat at the table next to us.  Hearing us speaking English, they joined in.  They were local guides who were leading a tour group off a cruise ship in Civitavecchia so Tarquinia was one of the sights.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 5:09 PM, Fairgarth said:

Agree, Richard.  Three years ago we were taking a cruise starting in Civitavecchia.  Arriving three days early, we did not want Rome again so looked at a map and followed the railway line up the coast from the port until the first place we came to was....Tarquinia.  Perfect!  Loved it.  We were sitting one morning in a local cafe when two ladies came in and sat at the table next to us.  Hearing us speaking English, they joined in.  They were local guides who were leading a tour group off a cruise ship in Civitavecchia so Tarquinia was one of the sights.

Well done you. Our adventure there was a full day and we found a most delightful Ristorante for lunch...

2083708411_RistoranteAmbaradam1.jpg.bb93f294dbdfb79e5472ef4aaeb87dcb.jpg

1806706354_RistoranteAmbaradam2.jpg.770a0a955e7986efba70333682afe307.jpg

...and no worries driving home. We let the bus take the strain.😁

On 12/29/2020 at 12:19 AM, Solent Richard said:

Well done you. Our adventure there was a full day and we found a most delightful Ristorante for lunch...

Thank you, kind Sir.  Here's our daily spritz on the main drag in Tarquinia and a splendid lunch at Il Cavatappi (The Corkscrew).

D7ABD338-AC5F-4E0A-91D8-CB9C37BDF3CA.jpeg

8AB7DBBA-9FE5-4C61-AB85-C23838548522_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

Civitavecchia is one of the best places to start a "not going to Rome tour" -

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00829.jpg

For my choice Nassau - though personally I find most of the Carib dull..

Too hot - All looks the same - SHOPPING.... Argghhhh.. (Only joking but I'm British we're allowed to be grumpy)

Edited by ighten
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ighten said:

Civitavecchia is one of the best places to start a "not going to Rome tour" -

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00829.jpg

For my choice Nassau - though personally I find most of the Carib dull..

Too hot - All looks the same - SHOPPING.... Argghhhh.. (Only joking but I'm British we're allowed to be grumpy)

Good morning and well done you with your pictures. 

245824475_Tarquinia24ChiesaSantaMariadiCastellowalls.jpg.d0dd88697fd42625b37631937c09460a.jpg

And a Happy New Year you  while I'm on there keyboard.

24 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Good morning and well done you with your pictures. 

245824475_Tarquinia24ChiesaSantaMariadiCastellowalls.jpg.d0dd88697fd42625b37631937c09460a.jpg

And a Happy New Year you  while I'm on there keyboard.

We once flew from philly to rome then a bus "tour" [really a drive through] to civit. to join up with the ship. We were just too tired and short on time to do anything but look at civit. from windows [bus/ship]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Book bug said:

Molde, Norway

Ah, Molde....it isn't a gorgeous place by any means, but several years ago I purchased the most wonderful shearling and canvas vest, in of all places, a hardware store. Unfortunately, it was lost (more likey stolen) at a terrier field trial in Virginia. I still mourn it. Embroidered into the shearling liner was a cross country skier. I can't find who or what manufacter made it. I'd buy another one in less than a heart beat if I could find it. So Molde is engraved in my memory!