Where Would You Like To Head The QM2 To From NYC....

BklynBoy8

I understand what you're saying about Washington, but as "Mr.Bear" pointed out, there are other deep water ports along the east coast. Philly, Baltimore, Charleston, etc. Even if it ment anchoring out, that's done in the Caribbean all the time.....Would be nice to change it up a little, rather than the same old, same old....

On 11/4/2020 at 2:24 PM, Rotterdam said:

1.First please have QM2 return to the Manhattan Westside Piers...sailing down the Hudson is so special.

We were lucky enough to cruise the Hudson at night on QM2 a few years back, wow what a site!!

I tried to take some photos, but didn't have a decent camera so the all came out blurey 😞

On 11/5/2020 at 2:53 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

We too agree and enjoyed the sailing from the West Side Piers like we experienced with the QE2 in the past.

Unfortunately I doubt NYC (Port Authority of NY & NJ) will ever extend those piers since the backside of the QM2 extended too much out of the Hudson River. I remember how either NYPD or US Coast Guard had to patrol the ship when it was docked to avoid a possible incident. That's how Brooklyn Cruise Terminal appeared.

What do you mean patrol the ship? Where there cops walking round the ship with guns? And what incident where they patrolling against?

I think now there is marine security that patrols via RIBS for almost any passenger ship in NY. I have never seen any kind of armed guards dockside or onboard. I'm sure there is plain clothes security around, but not overtly showing arms.

5 hours ago, Mudhen said:

I think now there is marine security that patrols via RIBS for almost any passenger ship in NY. I have never seen any kind of armed guards dockside or onboard. I'm sure there is plain clothes security around, but not overtly showing arms.

They started the extra security after September 11....the patrol boats were constantly up & down the Hudson River and when a ship was in.port on the westside piers there was additional security measures.

As far as QM2 returning to the westside of Manhattan it certainly is possible.  It's all a matter of $$$$.

When the Brooklyn cruise terminal was built it was a win win for Carnivore Corp & the Port Authority of NY. As more cruise business was developed both Brooklyn & the NJ Port Authority expanded facilities. Certainly the old westside piers could not handle all the mega ships that currently or had been coming into the PONY.

NCL did & plans to sail out of the west side piers in the future.

So hopefully we'll see QM2 & her sisters back in MANHATTAN again. FABULOUS..

NOTHING LIKE IT.

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

What do you mean patrol the ship? Where there cops walking round the ship with guns? And what incident where they patrolling against?

The extra security after 9/11 was mostly patrol boats along the Hudson River constantly.  And when a cruise ship came in there was even more.

I sailed on QE2 World cruise out of Manhattan & there were no armed guards etc on the pier(tho additional police could be seen all over NYC).

Back then NYC was so secure..I remember leaving my apartment to get the Sunday paper & outside was a US soldier with a machine gun...it was startling to me...he said hello & life changed.

• Like 1