1st Caribbean Cruise since March just sailed

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

guaranteed by SeaDream they would Not have to wear a mask on board.  So they are probably the type of person who does not wear a mask when on land.    Like I said they tried to live the Dream and it failed.     Hopefully all the passengers and anyone they had close contact with will be okay.    

So now we know that Sea Dream is not the line to sail with if you want to avoid infection from Covid. I guess it's true that you pay a price for your "Freedom".  Ironically they ended up sailing on a prison ship.  

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

So now we know that Sea Dream is not the line to sail with if you want to avoid infection from Covid. I guess it's true that you pay a price for your "Freedom".  Ironically they ended up sailing on a prison ship.  

Being quarantined in a cabin without a balcony for more than half the cruise is not my idea of a "Sea Dream" it's more like a "Sea Nightmare".  The reporters onboard, Sue Bryant, Gene Sloan and Ben and David, all have been singing Sea Dream's praises -- they must be in a tough spot as their fares are probably comped or highly reduced. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

I completely agree.  There is a very high probability that more people are infected and contagious and haven't tested positive yet.  Allowing these people to board planes is highly irresponsible, IMHO. 

Yes it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Being quarantined in a cabin without a balcony for more than half the cruise is not my idea of a "Sea Dream" it's more like a "Sea Nightmare".  The reporters onboard, Sue Bryant, Gene Sloan and Ben and David, all have been singing Sea Dream's praises -- they must be in a tough spot as their fares are probably comped or highly reduced. 

Anyone who would risk a cruise that doesn't require masks or social distancing has no right to complain even under the worst accommodations. It's a small ship so they can provide top notch room service even during quarantine. I wouldn't expect the same service in an ocean view room on an Oasis class ship. It also could have gone a different way if they were stuck at sea for 3 weeks.

The reporters onboard, Sue Bryant, Gene Sloan and Ben and David, all have been singing Sea Dream's praises -- they must be in a tough spot as their fares are probably comped or highly reduced. 

Since so many onboard seem to be folks from the media, it seems likely they received a free cruise.  Have any of these folks stated whether they paid for the cruise?

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Since so many onboard seem to be folks from the media, it seems likely they received a free cruise.  Have any of these folks stated whether they paid for the cruise?

Even if they didn't pay for the cruise they were getting paid for working.  If I had that job I wouldn't care about the outcome because I'm there to report a story good or bad. Having to lose vacation time and money for a trip is another story which is why I won't be on a ship anytime soon. Now my question is if the cruise line knew they are reporters were they getting better treatment than the other passengers?

6 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

According to the Barbados newspaper, Barbados Today, the infected passengers have disembarked and are quarantined at an isolation facility.  Another news report states the infected are a family of 5 and a married couple for a total of 7 passengers. 

"The infected passengers have been transferred to the isolation facility at Harrison’s, St Lucy, Chief Medical Officer Dr Kenneth George later disclosed in a separate interview with Barbados TODAY."

https://barbadostoday.bb/2020/11/14/still-at-sea/

here’s a recent video of their Harrison’s COVID facility:

https://m.facebook.com/CBCNews.bb/videos/278852386822448/?sfnsn=wa

25 minutes ago, BSocial said:

here’s a recent video of their Harrison’s COVID facility:

https://m.facebook.com/CBCNews.bb/videos/278852386822448/?sfnsn=wa

Thanks for posting this.  While it doesn't look dreadful, still, it is a very stark contrast to the luxury accommodations on the Sea Dream I. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Thanks for posting this.  While it doesn't look dreadful, still, it is a very stark contrast to the luxury accommodations on the Sea Dream I. 

Yes thank you livingonthebeach for posting this video.    Not somewhere I would want to end up staying out while vacationing.    I am sure the food is not the quality the Sea Dream passengers are used to either.    I wonder if the passengers will be refunded their fare.    I have not checked, how much is a cabin on sea dream?  

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes thank you livingonthebeach for posting this video.    Not somewhere I would want to end up staying out while vacationing.    I am sure the food is not the quality the Sea Dream passengers are used to either.    I wonder if the passengers will be refunded their fare.    I have not checked, how much is a cabin on sea dream?  

Actually it was @BSocial who posted the video - thanks again BSocial.  

More than likely since it was more of a PR cruise, some might have had comped or reduced fares.  

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 3.51.58 PM.png

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Are they just letting them off to fly home? 

Read this today....not sure if Barbados authorities let them fly  “It’s actually good and bad news,” Gene Sloan, a cruise writer for The Points Guy who is on board the ship, told The Daily Beast on Friday. “The Barbados authorities and the ship’s captain do not think the coronavirus has spread beyond these two groups. What they said this morning is that it’s looking like they are going to let the negative people off the ship as early as tomorrow. Meaning, negative passengers can travel and fly home tomorrow without quarantining.”

Edited by hernando52

9 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I’m not sure but it appears that way.  None of the reporters I’ve been following have posted any updates since they disembarked.  

The cynical side of me might guess they are going silent because they don’t want to be “caught” doing anything they shouldn’t, over the next two weeks. 

• Like 1

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

The cynical side of me might guess they are going silent because they don’t want to be “caught” doing anything they shouldn’t, over the next two weeks. 

My post after that one has Ben and David's tweet stating they were allowed to fly home.  Very risky only a few days of being possibly exposed.  They wrote that a crew member got it later so now there are 8 cases. 

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

My post after that one has Ben and David's tweet stating they were allowed to fly home.  Very risky only a few days of being possibly exposed.  They wrote that a crew member got it later so now there are 8 cases. 

I did read your post before I posted.

IMO this type of disembarkation is what the CDC is wanting to avoid on the mainland US.  If they do not already have them, it would not surprise me to see Barbados put in regulations for disembarking cruise guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

I did read your post before I posted.

IMO this type of disembarkation is what the CDC is wanting to avoid on the mainland US.  If they do not already have them, it would not surprise me to see Barbados put in regulations for disembarking cruise guests.

Yes and this incident has already gotten the attention of the CDC and all the efforts of the Healthy Sail Panel are unfortunately going to be called into question and make it more of an uphill battle for the cruise lines that planned a more responsible restart.  

In April, Barbados refused the disembarkation of the Coral Princess -- that's why I'm surprised they allowed the passengers off of the Sea Dream. 

• Like 1

According to Ben and David, they were allowed to fly home.  It was reported that one crew member has it so now there are 8 infected.

I hope Ben and David are OK and didn't spread it to people on the plane.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mek said:

I hope Ben and David are OK and didn't spread it to people on the plane.

I hope they haven't been infected and are not contagious.  They did say that one of the passengers who came down with CV had a cabin right across from them.   I hope they didn't have much interaction with this passenger but since they are now friends on FaceBook I imagine they did.  

Some of the comments on their FB page (don't know if its rumor or not) state that the group of 5 were from California. When they got to Miami they went out partying before taking the plane to board the Sea Dream in Barbados.  

Edited by livingonthebeach

6 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I hope they haven't been infected and are not contagious.  They did say that one of the passengers who came down with CV had a cabin right across from them.   I hope they didn't have much interaction with this passenger but since they are now friends on FaceBook I imagine they did.  

I guess I'm really shocked that they let people fly home.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

Especially now that in addition to the seven, one crew member has come down with the virus.  That is further proof that more will probably test positive at a later date. 

It's unfortunate this happened because I believe it will negatively impact the start up dates in North America.  

Right or wrong, cruising is viewed as a super spreader and this unsuccessful cruise will only give more ammunition to those who believe we should be locking down again. I think the no sail order will be extended until at least February - then it will keep being revised month by month until we have a vaccine.

• Like 3