Some good Covid-19 news for a change....

North West Newbie

Yes, this is the first really positive news on the vaccines, for sure - though it will take time for significant numbers of people to be able to get vaccinated.But the efficacy is way above the hoped for 50%, which is nothing short of a miracle in such a short time in virology terms.  Once the majority of people have been protected it will really transform cruises and allow cruising to have a chance to return to something more like we all used to enjoy - though I expect there will need to be measures in place at some level for quite a while, as well as likely negative test results before boarding, even when people have been vaccinated. I would be surprised if the majority of people will get access to the vaccine much before the middle of next year - but at least we do now have an end point as a possibility for risk from covid - so celebrations can start, even if they need to be a little cautiously accepted.  Roll on 2021!

20 hours ago, mcloaked said:

Yes, this is the first really positive news on the vaccines, for sure - though it will take time for significant numbers of people to be able to get vaccinated.But the efficacy is way above the hoped for 50%, which is nothing short of a miracle in such a short time in virology terms.  Once the majority of people have been protected it will really transform cruises and allow cruising to have a chance to return to something more like we all used to enjoy - though I expect there will need to be measures in place at some level for quite a while, as well as likely negative test results before boarding, even when people have been vaccinated. I would be surprised if the majority of people will get access to the vaccine much before the middle of next year - but at least we do now have an end point as a possibility for risk from covid - so celebrations can start, even if they need to be a little cautiously accepted.  Roll on 2021!

I think the health passport i phone app thing which is being spoken of will come into play. And it will be no vaccine no sail no exceptions and no refunds either as vaccine requirement will be written into T&C's. And the vaccine will be written into the staff contracts as well. Some of those hypothetical statements could pose problems for us as we don't have I Phone nor the wifi to download the app even if we did and I don't have the technical know how even if they do work.

There is also the question in UK of will it be available to all perhaps it will not be and will you be able to go privately if you need to.

Edited by ace2542

You are not alone in the fact that you don't have an iphone or wifi. We have neither as well. If it's only documentation on the injection, we have  international "yellow cards" that were used for yellow fever shots that we needed when we went up the Amazon. Couldn't the corona virus  record be put on a yellow card? As far as continual tracking using an iphone.....well, we'd be out of luck on that one!

If push comes to shove on this, we may be forced into an iphone.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I think the health passport i phone app thing which is being spoken of will come into play. And it will be no vaccine no sail no exceptions and no refunds either as vaccine requirement will be written into T&C's. And the vaccine will be written into the staff contracts as well. Some of those hypothetical statements could pose problems for us as we don't have I Phone nor the wifi to download the app even if we did and I don't have the technical know how even if they do work.

There is also the question in UK of will it be available to all perhaps it will not be and will you be able to go privately if you need to.

Well, as you say, these are all hypothetical suppositions. Why not wait and see for a bit?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

You are not alone in the fact that you don't have an iphone or wifi. We have neither as well. If it's only documentation on the injection, we have  international "yellow cards" that were used for yellow fever shots that we needed when we went up the Amazon. Couldn't the corona virus  record be put on a yellow card? As far as continual tracking using an iphone.....well, we'd be out of luck on that one!

If push comes to shove on this, we may be forced into an iphone.

Yeah but you live in new york it is simple for you. I don't think we have the wifi signal or enough G's or whatever in rural Lancashire. Though kids do walk round with phones. I have a phone line connected to the router and a cable into the back of this computer to be online. That is all I have.

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

I have a phone line connected to the router and a cable into the back of this computer to be online. That is all I have.

A clue, that is nothing to do with mobile signal strength 😄

According to all the maps available on line, unless you live up a mountain, signal strength in Lancashire is not too bad outdoor, but in some areas not so good indoors.

Just for interest, I live in East Bristol and have no indoor signal on mobile but use it through the internet, and that's on an iPhone 😄

7 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Yeah but you live in new york it is simple for you. I don't think we have the wifi signal or enough G's or whatever in rural Lancashire. Though kids do walk round with phones. I have a phone line connected to the router and a cable into the back of this computer to be online. That is all I have.

That's about what we have. However NY is a big state. We live in "the boonies" and our closest neighbors are cows. 

• Haha 1

If it turns out that a vaccine confirmation does become a requirement, then I would bet it won't depend on having an iPhone - it would have to be reasonably easy for anyone, irrespective of what phone they have to be able to get an appropriate certificate.  After all for decades some countries have needed a yellow fever immunisation confirmation to enter.  Some require a cholera vaccination, so there have been immunisation requirements for a long time, and this would merely be a newly updated addition, that may be needed for a lot more travel.  I expect that governments across the developed world have not been doing nothing all this time, and probably have been planning how to handle various issues ongoing concerning the handling of the vaccination process, certification, testing, and putting in place the necessary infrastructure so that by the time it is needed there will already be a well oiled plan in place.  Similarly I would imagine that the cruise lines have also been planning behind the scenes for various possible scenarios for when cruises restart. Once it really does become sensibly possible to put a date on a real restart I expect that there will be a lot of announcements on how it will all work, and well thought out in advance.

• Like 3