What Is Mariner of the Seas Like in 2020?

We are considering a 2022 cruise on Mariner of the Seas because we especially like the itinerary.  Thing of it is, we haven't been on Mariner since one of its earliest sailings out of Port Canaveral years ago. Has anybody sailed on Mariner just before the big cruise close downs? Has it undergone any major renovations, design changes,improved amenities or such in recent years in an effort to be more like Royal's newer ships?

Edited by Silvery Seas Cruiser

29 minutes ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

We are considering a 2022 cruise on Mariner of the Seas because we especially like the itinerary.  Thing of it is, we haven't been on Mariner since one of its earliest sailings out of Port Canaveral years ago. Has anybody sailed on Mariner just before the big cruise close downs? Has it undergone any major renovations, design changes,improved amenities or such in recent years in an effort to be more like Royal's newer ships?

She just had a $100M+ amplification in the last 2 years.  
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/mariner-of-the-seas

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Thank you very much for your quick reply. It looks like Mariner has a lot of exciting new features. Mariner was the very first cruise we ever sailed. It will be nice to sail again on that ship. Brand new to sailing, I thought she was pretty darned impressive then, but it will be fun to see how Mariner has changed after all these years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

Great ship.  I was on her in Feb and have 2 of the 8 day cruises for 2022 booked.  Also have her booked for late 2021

I didn't know Mariner was doing 8 day cruises. I need to check it out. The extra day seems to make such a big difference for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Silvery Seas Cruiser said:

Our last cruise was on Mariner in Sept of 2019.  I have always loved the Voyager class, I immediately loved the changes to this ship.  We had a great sailing, glad this one was my last, for now I hope.  I know this ship had a cult like following with many happy locals.   We loved our cruise on her.  Now to read your replies.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

And she has a Suite Lounge too. 😇

You have almost convinced me to try a Suite, just once to check it out. I'm D+ and Prime, so I have many benefits that I don't even use. I have 7 cruises booked for next year (4 Balconies and 3 Jr. Suites). Please tell me why it's worth the price difference to upgrade. Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Somtimes, something gets by me.😐

One 8 day goes to Bermuda (2 nights) the other to Aruba and Curacao.  They both stop a couple of other places as well that escape me right now  So far it's May thru October 2022.  Guessing the ones to Aruba will continue after that date

Edited by molly361
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vera/Lee said:

You have almost convinced me to try a Suite, just once to check it out. I'm D+ and Prime, so I have many benefits that I don't even use. I have 7 cruises booked for next year (4 Balconies and 3 Jr. Suites). Please tell me why it's worth the price difference to upgrade. Thanks!

One thing is the space. The boss particularly likes the walk off by the Concierge. She’s always in a hurry to get home and get the dog. We also like the SL/CK on Oasis Class ships. A more relaxed atmosphere. We don’t do formal so a pair of slacks and collared shirt is fine for the CK. I’ve seen shorts and T Shirts for dinner. Doesn’t bother us. 

Generally, on the bigger ships, there is a sail away party on the heli pad for Suites and Pinnacles. 

Newer ships have a wall between the bed and couch area (GS). Each side has a TV but makes it easy for one to nap while the other catches up on things and doesn’t disturb the other. 

Room service is included. Wi-Fi included on Oasis Class. 

M8

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

I know what you mean. John et al giving me the bug too. 

Best I've done is a JS and it was nice, but rather have a shower than a bath tub. Had no idea I could ask for some stuff. Being at home during covid is making me want a full suite. Lol and I generally dont even sit out on my balcony by myself, I go where people are. But the posts here make me dream. 

A balcony is generally just a big window for all the use I get out of a balcony. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

A balcony is generally just a big window for all the use I get out of a balcony. 

I used to be that way, too. And though I still spend a lot of my time out and around the ship, more and more I find myself enjoying having a balcony retreat away from the commotion of the ship. I love sitting out there for a bit before going to bed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think 2020 will be a very hard year for us. One of the things that I am really concerned about is  safety. One of the things that frightens me the most  is being sick and stuck on board that ship in the middle of the ocean. I really hope that soon we will find a vaccine to take with us on board just in case 

58 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I used to be that way, too. And though I still spend a lot of my time out and around the ship, more and more I find myself enjoying having a balcony retreat away from the commotion of the ship. I love sitting out there for a bit before going to bed.

I've had 4 skin cancers removed, and more to come. I just need to get to a gp to get referral to a skin doctor. So I try not to sit out directly in the sun, but just before dinner sounds good right now. Almost anything sounds good.

I'm farthest out on the hump next april, and usually those cabins are always gone when I book, so I kinda hate to give it up. But it's not a suite. They had excellent prices, 1500 ish for a JS excellent for this date. .. of course I would have booked it if I knew double pts was coming. 

If it goes in april I expect to spend a lot more alone time and bring extra books. Anytime dining alone, not buffet perhaps. 

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You should try one of those panoramic cabins on deck 12 of Adventure, or any other Voyager or Freedom ship. 

They have two club chairs looking out the floor to ceiling windows. Very nice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1