New vaccine

hollyjess

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

We found on QM2 a lot of them are like that woman from keeping up appearances.

You were very unfortunate, then. I've been on a few Cunard cruises and not encountered a single Hyacinth. In fact, have met many delightful people from a high court judge to factory workers, with everything imaginable in between.

A couple we met on QE in 2014, and with whom I've kept in touch, even came down from Lancashire to attend my husband's funeral. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Hi Jane

It's a shame you feel like that. I have been on QE twice and never felt that way. Is it because the boards are full of Americans or people talking about suites? If so, don't worry, the people in suites mainly keep to their own areas. Plebs like us are locked out. 🤣 As for our US cousins, if they are allowed to fly by June you will find most of them polite. On our Alaska QE cruise we only came across one loud one ( Americans were in the majority). The dress code is a bit stricter on non formal nights but I did see a lady in the MDR in slippers on a formal night. Our table in the MDR was quite  mixed, - librarian, bus driver, accountant, nurse, us and a couple we thought could be millionaires. 

Cathy 

Hi Cathy.  Yes, I suppose it's a bit of both really.  Just made me feel a bit overwhelmed.  Maybe the lockdown and lack of going anywhere has made me less brave than I used to be.  I've cruised 5 times alone and many more with family and friends.  I'm just not feeling it at the moment!  Thanks for trying to help though. J.x

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ann141 said:

Sorry to hear this.Similar happened where I live so security guard outside checking papers etc when I went on saturday and no unpleasantness and very efficient system once inside.Again situation arose after advertising 'slots' on facecloth and similar with links allowing multiple people to turn up.Only took a couple of days to sort so hope its a similar time length for you.Sorry to hear you have cancelled your Cunard cruise but does this mean there's more likelihood of you joining some of us in October??!!

Very much so Ann.  I've just looked again at the October cruise. Prices still very high for a solo but I've tentatively booked the dates at work for annual leave and will either bite the bullet and pay or try for a last minute.  Not sure yet.  Best wishes.  Jane. x

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kalos said:

Maybe you should have given them a right Jab and told them to come back for the left one in a few weeks time .:classic_unsure:

Joking apart there are some weirdo's out there if they consider their prank funny, or even worse it was a malicious blatant attempt to disrupt the vaccine program ,that is sick and they need tracking down . Keep up the good work Jane and practice that right hook/jab a bit more :classic_wink:

Most of of all , Keep safe :classic_smile:

I was soooooo tempted Kalos but sanity prevailed!  J.x

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone.

Just an update from a besieged vaccine hub in London. Things that were running so well have all gone pear-shaped. The arrival of the mass vaccination sites has led to total confusion. Multiple patients are being invited by letter to book an appointment to have a jab they had 10 days ago. They think they're being invited for a second jab, we know they're not. Confusion reigns. We no longer have a clear idea of what drops of vaccine we can expect. On Sunday, loads of people arrived, uninvited, unexpected, demanding their vaccines NOW. Someone had posted on Facecloth that anyone could turn up to receive a jab (thanks for that)  and it all got very unpleasant. Those walking frames and sticks can do real damage let me tell you. Anyway, the upshot is that we have to employ a security guard for the forthcoming weekend. Never mind masks and face-shields, I'll be wearing a stab-vest and carrying a truncheon on Sunday! 

On a totally different topic I've decided I'm not going on my planned QE British Isles cruise (hopefully it will be cancelled and I'll get my deposit back) in June. I've been reading some of the posts and roll-calls on that site and decided I'll be like a fish out of water. I'm sticking to P&O and you guys from hereon.

Oh well, I'd better get on and sort out my protective clothing.

Have a great day everyone and Graham, once again, good luck for tomorrow.

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Hi Jane

I’ve always found judicious use of a cattle prod and tear gas to be most effective in these circumstances 😃

Keep your chin up lovely. We’re all doing the best we can 

Deb x

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Thanks, Harry - like you, I hope the information is wrong.

Fingers crossed that you get vaccinated very soon, along with the fragrant Mrs P. There was an excellent question from a member of the public at yesterday's press conference regarding unpaid carers being in a much lower category for the jab than paid ones; pity that anomaly can't be rectified - they all waffled on about how important unpaid carers were, but didn't actually come up with the very easy solution. I would happily wait an extra week or so while people like your wife were vaccinated.

Thank you, Annie.  I imagine we'll both be sorted within the next two or three weeks, but only because we're only a couple of years apart in age.  The situation is much more serious where the gap's greater.

Back to that rumour, founded or unfounded, I'm wondering, looking at the dates available at the various NHS vaccination centres, whether it's based on the fact that none of them are showing any available dates beyond 14 February? There's probably a very logical reason for that, though.

20 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Report in the press this morning that the 65+ cohort could be offered jabs from next week

My local surgery is already inviting the 50 -64 age group to apply for appointments. This is within government guidelines  Obviously older people are also eligible.  Our local vaccination centre is achieving 600 innoculations per day.  I did see a group of army medics turning up to do a stint..

Regards John

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, john watson said:

My local surgery is already inviting the 50 -64 age group to apply for appointments. This is within government guidelines  Obviously older people are also eligible.  Our local vaccination centre is achieving 600 innoculations per day.  I did see a group of army medics turning up to do a stint..

Regards John

This seems to vary across the country, doesn’t it. Only today my GP said the government didn’t allow them to offer vaccinations to my wife, who’s 70 in a few months. I can have mine, but she will need to wait for a while.

No complaints, but some degree of consistency would be helpful.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Wow. I wish this was happening in my area.......

• Like 4

1 hour ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Is that as part of Group 6 16-64 with underlying health conditions because anyone over 50 who are healthy are in  groups 7-9.

Edited by majortom10

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just locally, I understand, Annie, and the information may prove to be incorrect. I have no evidence, other than the conversation with an ‘insider’ friend.

I don’t think we’re ahead of the game though. They’ve just started on the 70+ cohort, but they haven’t yet fully covered all the 80+.

I’m in the 70+ category, and I imagine I’ll get a callup from the surgery this week, or maybe next.  There’s also the main NHS option, and I’ve just received the letter for that, but I think there’s a better chance of getting my wife vaccinated at the same time via the surgery. No great rush - a few days makes little difference.

I had a call from our surgery yesterday offering me a jab on Saturday, I asked about my Wife, told she is not on the list yet.

I am 74 and she is 71 so we are both in group 4, I said no thanks I will wait until we can both have it at the same time.

This morning I received the letter asking me to book on line, it did say I could wait to be contacted by our surgery.

It does seem a little disorganised to me but I will wait for my Wife anyway.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

This seems to vary across the country, doesn’t it. Only today my GP said the government didn’t allow them to offer vaccinations to my wife, who’s 70 in a few months. I can have mine, but she will need to wait for a while.

No complaints, but some degree of consistency would be helpful.

I think the problems are firstly you need the supply of injections, without which you are totally snookered.  Then you need a huge number of staff medical and admin to record all the activity and do the medical procedures.  Organising who can attend is another issue for pre-arranging the process.  Then you need good premises not necessarily medical as sports halls would do with a few screens etc.  Travelling long distances to attend is a problem and this goes against setting up in areas of low population density.  Whereas highly populated areas which also contain a high number of medically qualified people will probably have exceptional cover. .

My jab was at a local surgery which organised this during the hours the surgery was normally closed.  The number of people driving in made a one way system to be introduced on the immediate roads to maintain local residents access to property as well as access to the surgery.  It worked well in the short term until bigger and more suitable locations and facilities could come on stream.  

They have more recently opened a big centre dealing with 500/600 every day.  It needs a lot of organising and car parking but seems to be working well.  I am hoping the whole of the UK gets an invitation of a reasonably feasible appointment soon.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Is that as part of Group 6 16-64 with underlying health conditions because anyone over 50 who are healthy are in  groups 7-9.

This was a 50 - 64 year old people invitation from my local surgery.  They may have run out of patients on their list in the other categories and had spare capacity  I don't know.  

Regards John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Hi Jane

I’ve always found judicious use of a cattle prod and tear gas to be most effective in these circumstances 😃

Keep your chin up lovely. We’re all doing the best we can 

Deb x

Ah thanks Deb - that really made me laugh.  I know we are all doing our utmost but it doesn't half get you down sometimes doesn't it? Any idea where I could buy a cattle prod?  J.x

• Like 1

I do now have a date for a weekend jab, for which I’m very grateful, via the GP rather than the NHS vaccination centre.

The person who called said there was a lot of confusion because all the NHS letters arrived in the post today, and they’re having to waste time trying to avoid people booking twice over. The letter is perfectly clear, but it does help if you can read!

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I had a call from our surgery yesterday offering me a jab on Saturday, I asked about my Wife, told she is not on the list yet.

I am 74 and she is 71 so we are both in group 4, I said no thanks I will wait until we can both have it at the same time.

This morning I received the letter asking me to book on line, it did say I could wait to be contacted by our surgery.

It does seem a little disorganised to me but I will wait for my Wife anyway.

That seems a rather arbitrary and annoying response from your surgery. You are both in Group 4 so there should be no reason to refuse your wife a jab. Maybe they were short of vaccine supplies - but still very frustrating for you I imagine

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I think all over 50s are in the next group after the first 4 are complete. These are all due to be vaccinated by the end of March.

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

I do now have a date for a weekend jab, for which I’m very grateful, via the GP rather than the NHS vaccination centre.

The person who called said there was a lot of confusion because all the NHS letters arrived in the post today, and they’re having to waste time trying to avoid people booking twice over. The letter is perfectly clear, but it does help if you can read!

Always helpful Harry!  Glad you've got your invite and date though.  I've just attended a Covid meeting and we have been told that as a hub we have to concentrate on the remaining 70+ patients before we can start on the next group. It's not for want of trying.  Some patients are just not contactable, some are still thinking about it, some have outright declined and the rest have been vaccinated.  We've completed all our housebound patients and are desperate to start on the 65 to 70 cohort.  But, we must do as we're told.  Reading other posts I can see that some areas have already started this group.  I must concede and say I haven't a clue what's going on any more - and I work for the NHS! Jane.x

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Always helpful Harry!  Glad you've got your invite and date though.  I've just attended a Covid meeting and we have been told that as a hub we have to concentrate on the remaining 70+ patients before we can start on the next group. It's not for want of trying.  Some patients are just not contactable, some are still thinking about it, some have outright declined and the rest have been vaccinated.  We've completed all our housebound patients and are desperate to start on the 65 to 70 cohort.  But, we must do as we're told.  Reading other posts I can see that some areas have already started this group.  I must concede and say I haven't a clue what's going on any more - and I work for the NHS! Jane.x

Thanks Jane - and for all your feedback. Good to get it from someone directly involved.

My practice is obviously sticking to the rules, and if that's the rule, so be it.  I'm certainly not going to question it, because they're a fantastically good bunch, with an Outstanding CQC rating, for very good reasons.

You might be finding the same, but the person I spoke to said that it was hugely easier and quicker to deal with the 70+ than the 80+.  Rattling through them was the comment.  A good sign perhaps for all the younger members of this esteemed forum.

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1