River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

I did not see it myself, just heard that commentators said it was unjustified. I am glad that this did not happen to us, people would have brought 1966 up again... Right now my focus is on other matters but of course I will be interested in the outcome on Sunday. Talking about the dark side of Twitter (I boycott this institution): the German girl who got cyberbullied when Germany lost has asked that the money donated to her be passed on to UNICEF. An unhappy tale with a happy ending. Be warned about taking your kids where they may be filmed...

Right, I am off to the dentist. 

notamermaid

1966 comments are an unhappy fact. But it is it only about football no politics. It has been a long time since that year without the nation that invented this kind of football to win in a big way. It would be the most amazing thing if they did that at Wembley.

notamermaid

Fußbaalll!

Italy!

Two worthy finalists, but only one could win. I hate penalty shootouts. I could not watch it. I have been thinking that there should instead be a jousting tournament of the line referees to decide the winner. Two teams that have come back in recent years to join the top teams. It could have gone either way. England can be very proud runner-ups, to even be in the final will remain a dream for many teams. Italy can be very proud of their achievement and it is so good for the souls in Italy.

It would have been amazing to see the atmosphere at Wembley after an England win, but the fireworks for Italy from the stadium were brilliant enough!

Here is a report by Deutsche Welle: https://www.dw.com/en/euro-2020-football-comes-to-rome-as-italy-break-english-hearts-at-wembley/a-58225546

Well done England!

Well done Italy!

Now who will win the Tour de France? A definite winner is the French tourism board. All that footage of places without having to spend money on advertising. A particular aerial shot of Carcassonne just blew me away.

notamermaid

I loved Carcassonne. I was on a cycling tour, and some friends of mine on the tour took me for dinner at the fancy hotel right at the wall of the town. It was really great. The next time i was in Carcassonne my parents were nearby, and they met me to take me to dinner at the same restaurant.

Couldn’t resist, many moons ago my best friend and I drove our Lambretta’s down to Spain this was pre motorways. When pouring with rain we arrived in Carcassone decided to stop for something to eat the mother of the owner of the bar/restaurant was horrified because we were so wet but they made us the biggest most amazing omelette I’ve ever had. It was dry when we left and exited this beautiful walled city women in local costumes were giving out packs of two peaches try driving and balancing them on your running boards.

I’m routing for Mark Cavendish to win the sprint title he’s such a nice guy.

I am not exactly a fan of the Tour de France, but those men have stamina, admirable. Some guy from near Koblenz is also cycling in a team. I hope he does well. I really watch more for the beauty of France. I will need to find out more about Mark Cavendish.

Perhaps I should get out my bike and see if I can get to the supermarket and back... I have a bike without gears by the way, so any hill is a challenge!

notamermaid

25 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

@Coral. - how are you feeling today? 

So far, no symptoms! 5 days from exposure. I am suffering from some dental pain - I got my first dental crown today. I explained everything to the dental office on Friday and they said I could come in if I had no symptoms. Glad I got this done as the appointment was scheduled 2 months ago.

My friend is not doing very well. High fever and bad chest pains. Today is her 10 day from symptoms. 

32 minutes ago, Coral said:

My friend is not doing very well. High fever and bad chest pains. Today is her 10 day from symptoms. 

The dental pain will pass - pleased to hear that you have no C-19 symptoms.

I hope your friend makes a full recovery - I find her symptoms alarming as she was vaccinated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

The dental pain will pass - pleased to hear that you have no C-19 symptoms.

I hope your friend makes a full recovery - I find her symptoms alarming as she was vaccinated.

I agree.

Just two weeks ago, I was worried about being tested on a river cruise after being on an ocean cruise. My main concern was that I could potentially test positive and have no symptoms. Now - I am worried about testing positive (in the immediate future) and having symptoms! Most say that the average date for symptoms to appear is 5-6 days...... But can be as long as 14 days. Keeping my fingers crossed. Needless to say, I am having a difficulty staying focused with this looming around me.

My friend's sister also tested positive. Though, neither of their spouses tested positive. I am hoping their vaccines keep them from spreading the virus.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

My eldest daughter says the after effects of the vaccine were far worse than the COVID itself but for my son in law not, her second jab not so bad and she is now clear and super glad it over. Her friend had it and didn’t know only a test confirmed it. 

Edited by Canal archive

It is fascinating and kind of weird how we react so differently to both illness and vaccine. As my dentist said, there is a pattern but nevertheless each individual is different and you cannot predict what will happen. She has talked to quite a few people and of course knows how her assistants have reacted.

Incredible story about the Belgian woman who was infected with two variants of the virus. She sadly died and scientists only found out later she had both from presumably two different people. I am only saying this because somebody asked me a while ago if it is possible and I had no idea. Now I know.

notamermaid

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

My eldest daughter says the after effects of the vaccine were far worse than the COVID itself but for my son in law not, her second jab not so bad and she is now clear and super glad it over. Her friend had it and didn’t know only a test confirmed it. 

With all due respect, CA, is your daughter saying that the effects of the vaccine were worse than possibly dying? Because that's what COVID has done to 4 million plus people worldwide.  Again, with all respect, those kinds of statements just fuel the vaccine reluctance that is holding the world back from conquering this thing.

I am NOT looking to start a kerfuffle, but I cannot let that statement stand without replying to it.  We have 4 family  members who will NOT get vaccinated, and the country is literally coming door to door, couldn't make it easier.  Not one of them can give a good reason for their decision.  In reality, their decision is political, but they are too ashamed to say so.

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 2

Sharkster, CA's daughter had covid a while ago. I'd interpret that post to mean that she had worse side effects from the vaccine, than she did from her case of covid. I wouldn't read more into it than that. I don't think it's meant as a general statement. 

• Like 2

Did you know that you can travel from New York to Boston in just 20 minutes by car - without speeding? I tried to do that a few years ago when I was in Lincolnshire but a traffic jam did not leave me enough time to go that route before reaching my hotel near Lincoln.

Welcome to the world of unusual travel destinations!

I shall put aside the next installment of my travels through Britain which I had intended for today.

Here is another place connection, a bit more obscure. When I lived in London it was not far to go from my place to an area called Welling, an urban area in the South East of the city. Imagine my surprise when I found a village in the Eifel hills Northwest of Koblenz of the same name. The two place names are entirely different etymologically and I doubt that they have anything in common of note otherwise (apart from having buildings, even the cars are technically different) as Welling in the Eifel only has 932 inhabitants.

Other places in Germany share names, officially or for fun, as one traveller found out. And being confined to travelling within his native country, he discovered that he could go on a "world tour" without crossing borders. He compiled his discoveries in a book. Here is the story: https://youtu.be/MJH6W7YH5as

notamermaid

Sharkster77  jpalbny is absolutely correct. I can assure you that due to her job she is actually super fit and she now has recovering COVID-19 patients added to her work load.  Evidently the thinking is that particular exercise and Pilates is very helpful in helping recovery in all ages and including long COVID. 

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Evidently the thinking is that particular exercise and Pilates is very helpful in helping recovery in all ages and including long COVID. 

A bit unusual, but I can understand the thinking behind it. Last night there was a programme on BBC Panorama about long Covid. I would have liked to watch that but BBC rules about public funding and rights do not allow iplayer outside of the UK. We only get BBC World Service or a BBC entertainment channel. I would have liked to know if they also refer to the research of the German scientists about deformed blood cells. Perhaps I will write to Panorama.

Our weather is abysmal today for July, it is pouring down and the river is rising fast.

notamermaid

Thanks for the links @Canal archive. Really helpful. I cannot help my friend's assistant as I do not really know her but I would like to know more about the condition. Oddly, I felt similar when I was ill a few years ago, little stamina, so low mood, leading to low confidence. Then I learnt in a book to accept your base line (really accept it emotionally) and only try to go from your current 100 percent to 105 percent the next week, never more. It worked.

notamermaid

Fair enough @Canal archive, it was not clear to me that your daughter was comparing the vaccine to HER case of COVID, as opposed to COVID in general.  I apologise and take back my comment.

With 4 family members who refuse to get a vaccine, I am very frustrated with this very preventable but dangerous disease, so I'm a little bit touchy.

• Like 1