River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A friend suggested I get a t-shirt that says "You should see the other guy!!!"

I like that, definitely say you did some courageous and utterly important when asked 🙂. All the best and have a great holiday.

We will be very nice to each other here while you are away.

It has been snowing in the valley! Just a dusting but nice.

notamermaid

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I won't have internet for much of that, so please 'play nice' and 'don't run with scissors' while I'm gone.  😉

If I were in your shoes, I don’t think I would have said that. 🤷🏻‍♂️😛

No Mod Squad substitutes? 239540EA-FB77-4422-82FF-14F017AF65E5.jpeg.ab15d297c03031a74c08fdf7e04767ec.jpeg

Jazzbeau, are you traveling with Odysseys International to Patagonia?  I did that same tour with them last month, in December.  It’s not a river cruise, but would be interested to hear your impressions “somehow”.  Torres del Paine is absolutely wonderful, truly special - you are in for a treat, enjoy!

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Hopefully some good news the EU has delayed their introduction of fingerprint and photograph entry requirements until maybe next year.

Will it be delayed as long as REAL ID has been here?😉🙄

• Haha 1

California blew it with us just before covid hit it definitely did not like my husbands fingerprints so he ended up talking to your security guys, they tried to move myself and family on until I sat down and refused luckily they accepted my reluctance to move. Must admit lots of apologies when they realised just how many business trips my guy had been involved in. I absolutely have no problem with security challenges having worked with it for many years but inefficient equipment, which they admitted to is not acceptable for visitors and the staff.

Our our recent cruise stop in Hvar, Croatia, we saw a statue of Ivan Vučetić, who pioneered the science of fingerprinting in the 1890s.  They are still proud of him – but I find that Apple's face recognition is much more reliable than their fingerprint reading.  [My computer still recognizes me even with the stitches! but if my finger is cold, or oily, or I don't know what it won't register.]

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Our our recent cruise stop in Hvar, Croatia, we saw a statue of Ivan Vučetić, who pioneered the science of fingerprinting in the 1890s.  They are still proud of him – but I find that Apple's face recognition is much more reliable than their fingerprint reading.  [My computer still recognizes me even with the stitches! but if my finger is cold, or oily, or I don't know what it won't register.]

My problem was lack of oil. Whenever I had just done dishes or washed my hands touch id wouldn’t work. I generally have better luck with face id on my new iPhone. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gnome12 said:

My problem was lack of oil. Whenever I had just done dishes or washed my hands touch id wouldn’t work. I generally have better luck with face id on my new iPhone. 

It's always something.  That's why they let you put in 5 fingers [which for me is 5 copies of the same finger, under hopefully different circumstances]

That is sad about your friend. I hope the memories flooding you will all be good ones and make you smile. Perhaps it is good for her to reminisce as well.

Things are not that good here either, another neighbour is now in hospital, in a coma. We reckon he will not wake up again.

On a happier note, I am enjoying the bit of snow that has managed to stay on the ground. It is just above freezing today so it will be interesting to see which hill can retain the white dusting and which one will be bare by tonight.

Germany, especially my Rhineland, is slowly getting ready for full Carnival festivities. Always love the satirical fun names of the Carnival princes and princesses. Mocking Prussian rule in the 19th century.

notamermaid

• Like 2

British fog - you can't beat it :classic_biggrin:. Have seen the fog coming in from the sea on the south coast at Brighton. In the 80s when there was not as much filtering of exhausts and chimneys I saw the fog on the Thames, you know, you could only see fog. Fascinating.

Today I am chuffed because I read earlier that the German film "Im Westen nichts Neues" has been nominated for nine Oscars! Northern German television station interviewed the curator at the Erich Maria Remarque museum in Osnabrück. The man is quite happy. Remarque wrote the novel 95 years ago. Will be interesting to see if the film gets an Oscar in March, or more than one. It beats the film "Das Boot" as a German film with the most nominations. That one got six nominations in 1983.

Winter is dragging on here, just cold and grey. I have not even planned any day trips yet. After a hectic Christmas season and unhappy emotions I am a bit exhausted.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

Fortunately I am a bit too busy to read too much into it or get too stressed out - but I am sad that my neighbour who was in a coma has died. They talk of excess deaths in Germany and it feels like that to me now. I have lost six neighbours in eleven months, two feline and four humans. A seventh, a young man who fell literally suddenly flat on his face, is recovering well but will have facial scars. It is worrying. Another neighbour says he is optimistic after his heart surgery, wish I had his optimism. I think I need to get away and get some Vitamin D in winter sunshine.

I am planning to go to a spa resort or a small village in the high hills where there is snow. Perhaps over Carnival. Still no holiday planned but I am considering a short river cruise, just an overnight one. KD has these party cruises... If it gets too loud I will just hide in the cabin. Should be fun seeing the skyline of Cologne and the area there. I know the views around Bonn, Cologne and Düsseldorf but not from on board a ship.

The water level threads are up and running, it will be great to share people's excitement about their upcoming cruises. Life is quiet and there is not much to talk about along the rivers but that will sure change come March.

First it is Carnival of course. A few river cruises in Europe are available on that weekend and CroisiEurope is even offering one during Venice Carnival.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

I feel like I'm a kindred spirit with you, @notamermaid, much more so with the humans, because I don't know too many felines.  I wish I could schedule a little trip, but mine would have to be close by rather than too far away.  I know I would be able to hide out in my cabin if i needed to!

Please take care of yourself.

• Like 1

@notamermaid, my sympathies on the loss of your neighbour. I hope your younger one recovers well. 

We have had a lot of snow in the past couple of weeks, just getting ready to go out and clean up from yesterday. The main joy we are having is watching the red squirrels popping in and out of the tunnels, trying to figure out where they will pop up next. Haven't seen the hawk or owl around lately, but I'm sure they are around, so glad the squirrels have their tunnels built.  We are expecting cold coming in later this week (-32), but then it should warm up again. Nothing not unusual, so we will be ok. 

Hope you manage to get away, spring will be here before we know it, and tourists will be showing up again. 

• Like 2

Believe it or not a car washing and gardening day. Also an opportunity to catch up with neighbours and caught up with our local retired  Colonel he waxed lyrical about his Douro cruise with Scenic last year and has now booked on Scenic Eclipse 2. Ahhh is it even launched yet? He’s usually so correct.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, Daisi said:

..... We are expecting cold coming in later this week (-32), but then it should warm up again. Nothing not unusual, so we will be ok. 

Having lived in the upper Midwest states in my younger years I can sympathize with your weather. Texas winters are much easier to take but today we have sleet & freezing rain in the Dallas area. Very little movement outside today. Because TX drivers do NOT know how to navigate in these conditions I'm not going anywhere until things warm up. 🤷‍♂️

Paul 

On 1/31/2023 at 10:53 AM, Wings55 said:

Having lived in the upper Midwest states in my younger years I can sympathize with your weather. Texas winters are much easier to take but today we have sleet & freezing rain in the Dallas area. Very little movement outside today. Because TX drivers do NOT know how to navigate in these conditions I'm not going anywhere until things warm up. 🤷‍♂️

Paul 

The last few days here in Brownsville have been cold.  We finally got some sun today! 

• Like 1

We’ve bitten the bullet and booked our next cruise with Scenic of course, to cruise the Seine again. Whilst on the line I reported some of the challenges that some in North America are having with the website there. I was thanked profusely so hopefully it will be passed on which I was assured it would be. I’m so looking forward to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2023 at 5:25 PM, Daisi said:

The main joy we are having is watching the red squirrels popping in and out of the tunnels, trying to figure out where they will pop up next.

That put a big smile on my face. I do not have much wildlife around here. The other day I say a bluetit on the tree right in front of my house. Nice specimen. But as so often happens I could not take photo before it flew off. It is relatively mild so they are quite agile and even sing. Hopefully the small bird of prey from last year will be back in Spring to breed in my neighbourhood.

The wild boar are a hazard in autumn but fortunately I did not hear of any accidents last year.

I have been to the Koblenz tourism fair. Some nice chats and lots of paper, meaning brochures to look at. Talked to the lady at the Anton Götten/CroisiEurope stand briefly as well. Germersheim had a stand so I asked about river cruises. As I feared, the companies that dock there still mostly go by coach to Heidelberg, etc. and few guests actually explore the town. I think I will go there this year as it is small and has some 19th century fortifications left. Fun fact: the fortress is not Prussian but Bavarian as the Palatine was Bavarian territory.

notamermaid

• Like 2

5 hours ago, notamermaid said:

That put a big smile on my face. I do not have much wildlife around here. The other day I say a bluetit on the tree right in front of my house. Nice specimen. But as so often happens I could not take photo before it flew off. It is relatively mild so they are quite agile and even sing. Hopefully the small bird of prey from last year will be back in Spring to breed in my neighbourhood.

The wild boar are a hazard in autumn but fortunately I did not hear of any accidents last year.

I have been to the Koblenz tourism fair. Some nice chats and lots of paper, meaning brochures to look at. Talked to the lady at the Anton Götten/CroisiEurope stand briefly as well. Germersheim had a stand so I asked about river cruises. As I feared, the companies that dock there still mostly go by coach to Heidelberg, etc. and few guests actually explore the town. I think I will go there this year as it is small and has some 19th century fortifications left. Fun fact: the fortress is not Prussian but Bavarian as the Palatine was Bavarian territory.

notamermaid

Have you ever been to this town?  A few years ago I found out that my birth father was someone other than I thought he was.  Since then have discovered my European roots.  This church in this town was where many of my ancestors were baptized or married.  One day I want to go check out this region.  I wish I had known when I lived in Germany.

329453111_1892243881144381_1997873668337342913_n.jpg