River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

A pre-Father's Day tradition my son and I have developed is that we go to the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance in Connecticut (and he pays).  This year's was a terrific show, and we saw beautifully restored [or, even more amazingly, beautifully kept un-restored] cars from the pre-war [WWII] era, post-war era, muscle cars, Bertone designs [one of the featured classes this year], etc.  It's amazing what you can do with a mid-life crisis and unlimited cash!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A pre-Father's Day tradition my son and I have developed is that we go to the Greenwich Concours d'Elegance in Connecticut (and he pays).  This year's was a terrific show, and we saw beautifully restored [or, even more amazingly, beautifully kept un-restored] cars from the pre-war [WWII] era, post-war era, muscle cars, Bertone designs [one of the featured classes this year], etc.  It's amazing what you can do with a mid-life crisis and unlimited cash!

If you ever get to England when the Goodwood festival is on, definitely go to it. They even race the cars there. Have you ever gone to Hershey for their show? We would get there early to watch all the cars drive in, loved seeing all the old brass ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Over the last couple weeks one of the sports cable channels has aired a number of the Goodwood events, both the hillclimb and the circuit racing. The moat recent that I saw had two circuit races - Can Am (late 60s - early 70s) naturally aspirated, biga$$ed American V8 powered and virtually unlimited design and the other late teens to early 20s. Striking design changes  in a half century. 

ETA - If you interested in old race cars, check out https://simeonemuseum.org in Philly. Plan on one of their Saturday demo days when the actually drive select cars. 

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Thanks 1

On a Scenic cruise we spent quite a few hours at the Hockenheim race circuit, after touring the circuit and it was free track day for motorcycles then the museum we jumped back on the coach and over to the cars being prepared for drift racing. What a great day chatting to the guys preparing the cars then watching them race. 

Okay now I’m now starting to worry is anyone else?  will this flooding situation put people off of river cruising? The companies are only just getting back on their feet from Covid. What do you think?

It may put some off, those who have never tried it and don't realise how well the cruise lines deal with the problem. Those who have cruise before and loved it know the risks - you can have the same problems as we did last Sept. with low water.

I'm a member of several FB groups for river cruising from not only the US, but also the UK. I see some not wanting to pay for "an expensive bus tour", yet turn around and say they just did a tour that I've been looking at as a potential future trip that is almost the same price as some of our river cruises, so not sure what their problem is.  I see others that say they will put off touring this year and try next year...when we could have the opposite problem. However I also see a lot that are learning through the boards that river cruising isn't what they thought it was - the adverts show people sailing down the rivers and they don't realise that you just can't do "your own thing" without a lot of planning. However the good thing is, people are posting just what the lines are doing to make up for missing tours, and getting a lot of positive responses.

As people learn more about river cruising, and do their research, I think they will weigh the pros & cons and it will carry on for many years.

22 hours ago, Canal archive said:

USA won no mean feat against Pakistan, well done (played)

Fully 3/4 of team USA were born outside the USA. Where would we be without immigrants?

• Like 2

DH has been keeping an eye on the match and when he said that most of the USA team were Asian I realised what the situation was. We’ve noticed over many years the number of especially Sikh taxi drivers in both Canada & the USA. 
I still say watch out in the International’s because it looks like they have making of a super team.

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

Fully 3/4 of team USA were born outside the USA. Where would we be without immigrants?

Sort of like 40 years ago or more, then natural born Americans learned to play hockey.

The boys from Minnesota and Massachusetts learned hockey locally and anchored the two gold medal squads that had all the players born in the USA . . .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

The boys from Minnesota and Massachusetts learned hockey locally and anchored the two gold medal squads that had all the players born in the USA . . .

I take it you're referring to Olympic Gold medals;  those games were played in the United States, so the outcomes should be viewed with suspicion....

On 6/6/2024 at 3:19 PM, Canal archive said:

Cricket again USA into a super over against Pakistan.

On 6/6/2024 at 3:50 PM, Canal archive said:

USA won no mean feat against Pakistan, well done (played)

IMG_9096.thumb.webp.78284cd0c98073fc95302789ec705868.webp

• Haha 8

Yup who’d have thought it now you’ll need to at least try to understand the rules we’ve been scratching our heads about American Football rules for years.

Just a little linguistic correction not  IN cricket rather AT cricket. 
It’s a multi cultural game best served on a warm summers day with beer or a really good fizz sat with a group of West Indians now they really enjoy the game. 

Played cricket once in a summer camp (on holiday in England), enjoyed it, did not get the rules. A fun day.

We have football coming up in a week's time. European Cup in Germany! My supermarket is full of beer and German flags. 😁

notamermaid

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

The mascot for the Philadelphia Flyers (ice hockey). 

IMG_9101.jpeg.67a650e779ba24cdb4948264e4cc8e4c.jpeg

Phillies Phanatic was really rocking that Buckingham Palace guard uniform. Gritty might want to help guard the Tower of London as a Beefeater. Who do you suggest pair up with the Flyers for an NHL game in London?