River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Just back from 2 weeks in Scotland...  It has been reported that Covid is rearing it's ugly head again over there, but didn't see too many people wearing masks.  Still quite crowded in the usual tourist areas, but definitely less than during the Tattoo and the Fringe festival.  Lots of rain (no surprise there...) but also had some lovely sunshine.   Driving there is not for the faint of heart!!

Fran

• Like 2

If your a railway fan and are in Scotland and have seen the reports of the Flying Scotsman recently I can absolutely recommend the afternoon tea with bubbles on the Strathspey railway it’s supported and run by an amazing group of volunteers super afternoon, beautiful scenery and tasty Scottish afternoon tea.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Bit of a boring afternoon helping DH watch the Ryder Cup, it does seem rather noisy!

That is VERY normal for the Ryder Cup. I am guessing your hubby is happy as Europe is leading by 7.5 points. Although at least the US is winning some matches today.. But yesterday? Ya'll kicked our butts!

The Ryder’s Cup will be in my backyard next year on Long Island. Bethpage Black Public Nassau County Golf Course. 

Why no take a leaf peeping cruise up to Canada and then see the Ryders Cup? It’s not far from Manhattan. Maybe 25 miles. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, Canal archive said:

Yup but the USA fight back is well underway.

We screwed ourselves on day 1 and I figured Europe would win. Congrats to the European Ryder Cup Team.

14 minutes ago, Got2Cruise said:

The Ryder’s Cup will be in my backyard next year on Long Island. Bethpage Black Public Nassau County Golf Course. 

Why no take a leaf peeping cruise up to Canada and then see the Ryders Cup? It’s not far from Manhattan. Maybe 25 miles. 

Hi, The Ryder Cup is only played in odd numbered years so it will be 2025 and that is a good/hard course.

Public holiday today - Tag der deutschen Einheit. If you are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Unity_Day

No work for me today so I was happy to accept the invitation for a small private Octoberfest. The Anglophile in me is in the wardrobe today and I am getting my symbolic patriotic hat out. Just wish the weather was better. Prost! 🍻

notamermaid

• Like 6

Okay, that was fun. Had a good day of food, drink and laughter and loud music from Oktoberfest anthems and schlager to Sixties classics. A small affair with shop bought food and homemade fares. I think I drank the wrong beer - needed a day to recover. No seriously, it was not too much beer. :classic_biggrin:

6561.thumb.JPG.bc8980790ca7c38a2c7dc935e63c0d1f.JPG

notamermaid

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Busy weekend at work with feedback phone call to boss this morning. Good to see people enjoying themselves albeit with a tiny bit of trepidation as regards health. A worry that I thankfully do not (feel the need to) share.

Lack of time means only day trips for me till December.

Was thinking I should do another thread on Christmas market cruises this year, people had fun with that last year.

notamermaid

• Like 2

9 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Was thinking I should do another thread on Christmas market cruises this year, people had fun with that last year.

Thanks.  When this topic first came up, you were able to give simple calendar instructions based on the first Sunday of Advent and Christmas Eve.  But as both Christmas Market cruises and the markets themselves have expanded (dates and cities), we need much more detailed information!  

[And as someone who always wants to be in my home parish for Advent and Christmas, I'm not the one to do this...]

Thanks for the feedback people.

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

[And as someone who always wants to be in my home parish for Advent and Christmas, I'm not the one to do this...]

I love being at home around Christmas. Have been away but always with dear people - a home from home. Perhaps unusually, being away from home on New Years Eve appeals to me even less.

Gotta go, time to check on river levels.

notamermaid

travel weekly uk has got an article on Christmas cruises - oh well time to get that thread going I suppose. It is warm and sunny here, balmy autumn day - before the storm and drop in temperatures. Talked to a very dear person yesterday on his way to get winter tyres on the car. Agreed with me that it does not feel quite right yet in this weather.

I write about the Roman Empire a lot because it is part of my immediate surroundings and I find it fascinating how much it has shaped the modern world. I have just read that there is a trend on social media, something about a historian asking his female followers to ask their husbands about the Romans. Saw a video yesterday of such a recorded conversation. Sheer coincidence really. Very interesting.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
correction of info on article
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, notamermaid said:

travel weekly uk has got an article on Christmas cruises - oh well time to get that thread going I suppose. It is warm and sunny here, balmy autumn day - before the storm and drop in temperatures. Talked to a very dear person yesterday on his way to get winter tyres on the car. Agreed with me that it does not feel quite right yet in this weather.

I write about the Roman Empire a lot because it is part of my immediate surroundings and I find it fascinating how much it has shaped the modern world. I have just read that there is a trend on social media, something about a historian asking his female followers to ask their husbands about the Romans. Saw a video yesterday of such a recorded conversation. Sheer coincidence really. Very interesting.

notamermaid

Are you near Xanten?  I visited there a few times when I was employed by a company based in Wesel.

7 hours ago, UDChE89 said:

Are you near Xanten?  I visited there a few times when I was employed by a company based in Wesel.

No, I am further upstream. Have heard good things about Xanten and the reconstructions outside of town are impressive I have been told. I definitely plan to go there.

notamermaid

29 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

No, I am further upstream. Have heard good things about Xanten and the reconstructions outside of town are impressive I have been told. I definitely plan to go there.

notamermaid

It’s definitely interesting, however, my funniest visit was when one of the local company employees decided to organize a group dinner wishing the ruins when our Chinese engineers visited.  They did not know what to make of the Roman food and, honestly, neither did I.

11 hours ago, UDChE89 said:

They did not know what to make of the Roman food and, honestly, neither did I.

:classic_biggrin:. I did not know that they offer these dinners. I have had a couple of food stuffs but some are very difficult to get used to. I think I will stick to the wine. Fun fact: apparently the Romans diluted their wine, a Roman author the name of which eludes me commented on the fact that the locals in France drank the wine undiluted and therefore tended to be drunk and literally barbarian.

notamermaid

It is cold! Would prefer a hot chocolate to a cool drink of water. The night was really cold, there was a bit of frost in the high hills. My heating is running.

During a short trip to the Moselle yesterday I had a stop at a café and drank a hot chocolate. Now, the Moselle is not exactly a river busy with river cruise ships but yesterday, right there, I saw one sailing. Sheer fun coincidence. It was the Viking Hild.

Autumn leaves are nice and the vineyards looked appealing too in the late afternoon light.

notamermaid

• Like 4

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

It was the Viking Hild.

It was on the Rhine & Moselle* Discovery cruise from Basel to Trier that I did on Hild in April this year.

*I know it should be Mosel but that's how Viking title the cruise.