River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

The biggest problem with ball caps is that they tend to blow away in strong winds. When hiking along the shore, I wear a bucket-type hat--no brim to catch the wind.

In cooler weather, the Irish-style flat caps are nice, as they don't tend to blow away as well.

(When you've been balding since your 20's, you pick up a lot of experience wearing hats...)

If you wear your Tilley properly (and most I have seen don’t) there is a lace at the back of your head that helps keep it on in light breezes. In heavier winds I adjust to pull down the chin-strap, and in even heavier winds i put the strap behind my ears. And of course, it also works as a rain hat. 

• Thanks 1

I particularly dislike baseball caps. Probably due to association with the sort of people who tend to wear them here. There are so many other types of headgear around that they seem, unimaginative, at best. 

Last year in hot weather I saw lots of straw hats of various shapes and sizes for sale around Europe. Would you be able to sell some of those?

• Like 1

Notamermaid I have a house full from all parts of the world and yes my DH is definitely folicaly challenged. He also has a Tilly hat but only one. Baseball caps evidently vary very much in quality and fit as well. I definitely do not wear them but do wear straw hats of all designs and the floppier the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

The biggest problem with ball caps is that they tend to blow away in strong winds. When hiking along the shore, I wear a bucket-type hat--no brim to catch the wind.

In cooler weather, the Irish-style flat caps are nice, as they don't tend to blow away as well.

(When you've been balding since your 20's, you pick up a lot of experience wearing hats...)

As one that is all to well acquainted with my Mohs surgeon, neither a ball cap nor a bucket provide adequate sun protection. Broad brims are the best way to go. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Bucket hats seem to be popular, too.

Are those back in fashion? Errhmm, I see them being given a fab, fun, young people makeover online. They are practical but they are not something that I would buy. I think they would struggle to sell with the potential buyers I meet.

14 hours ago, Ritabob said:

the older crowd with more monet go for Tilley

They look really like something typically British or American. But I have seen them in regular shops here, or at least something that is similar. Really practical is the design with the air holes. For a souvenir I do not think they could work for my purposes but personally I like those.

Straw hats have kind of come back. The problem is the price. So from what I have seen over the last few years is that they are usually not real straw.

I myself own a straw hat, I bought it in Bavaria many years ago. It has ripped but I will try and get a hat maker to have a look at what can be done to keep it going for a few more years.

notamermaid

40 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

They look really like something typically British or American. But I have seen them in regular shops here, or at least something that is similar. Really practical is the design with the air holes. For a souvenir I do not think they could work for my purposes but personally I like those

This style, with an appropriate local design or patch might be a good seller, particularly at Christmas Markets. 

3 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

As one that is all to well acquainted with my Mohs surgeon, neither a ball cap nor a bucket provide adequate sun protection. Broad brims are the best way to go. 

My comments RE:  hats refer to protecting the very top of my bald head from being burned.  Made no comments about any other issues.

14 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

This style, with an appropriate local design or patch might be a good seller, particularly at Christmas Markets. 

Christmas markets - that is an interesting thought. Thank you, will keep that in the back of my mind.

notamermaid

I wear ball hats around here if out for drives - could keep them on with the convertible better. I also have a nice straw hat for wandering around town. However it doesn't pack well, and I'm not one for ball hats while travelling. I purchased one that was supposed to be "foldable" with a wide brim thinking it would keep the back of my neck covered (and it had a hole for my pony-tail 🙂), however I found out after our trip we just got back from...it's not exactly foldable. So I guess I'm back to my Tilly bucket hat, not as wide of a brim, but will help keep the sun off the top of my head, which I need. Bonus points for it being washable and packable!

I agree that ball caps protect the top of bald guys heads. Simply pointed out some of us require additional protection. 
But ball caps make good souvenirs and can start interesting conversations. This one leads me to rugby and cricket fans world wide, just regular folks too.IMG_9175.jpeg.95331367b0f50686bc8cb612296c8163.jpeg

Flew out to Tulsa to buy this beast.  Bike has a Honda Goldwing engine in it, so power for days.

1600 miles ride to get home, 2.5 days.  Bike is smooth, I thought I would take longer, but she was riding so sweet I just kept going.  

PXL_20240626_204235348.thumb.jpg.929cc5f0637470e7e3b98ece44b7787a.jpg

Screenshot2024-06-296_39_32AM.thumb.png.784f67e87c1c7b6390c1b7e0ff7d767e.png

I'll still keep Ural, for bouncing over back roads, but George needs more space (86 pounds now and long!).  The hack being more enclosed will also help Ma's sock yarn from tangling in wind.  Nothing like being tapped on leg to go back and roll up a skein of yarn that got loose. 

PXL_20240514_133152759_MP.thumb.jpg.a492312bc417b5ae71a1d2e275ce3ba5.jpg 

• Like 4

Away this weekend en-family for DHs significant birthday (80th) he opened one of the liquid parts of his presi last evening and what a surprise a single malt ‘Texas’ distilled whisky and it’s absolutely excellent. Now I like Rye and Bourbon but had never imbibed American whisky whisky what a surprise and luckily he appreciated it as well.

Note best drunk with just a dash of water.

Edited by Canal archive

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

...... what a surprise a single malt ‘Texas’ distilled whisky and it’s absolutely excellent. Now I like Rye and Bourbon but had never imbibed American whisky whisky ....

@Canal archiveI'm a bourbon fan, but being a Texas guy, I have to ask which distillery? 🤔