River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Sounds very nice, I'm heading to Alaska tomorrow to visit daughter, so I appreciate that you are putting in the effort but doubtful I can dial in.  Wurzburg is quite the place to visit, and between the splendor of the Residence, to the imposing views from the Fortress, to the wein gardens along the river, she certainly punches way above her weight.  A good sized pedestrian zone and tram system to get you around.

As you are facing the Fortress with the river to your back, there is a very nice international garden and Wasserspielpark, behind the Fortress to the right.  Very nice walking trails and different gardens arranged by country.  The ring walk was also nice, you could pick it up from the back of the Residence formal gardens.   

If you go 10 km south on the B-19 to the 400 person village of Lindflur you can visit the 'Christmas tree' we planted next to our apartment.  It was a Blue Spruce with root ball that we used as our tree in 1988, and visited it in 2014 to confirm that it is thriving.  We were so lucky to stumble on a small attic apartment in a brand new building, no railings or lights in stairwell when we moved in.  Pop open the roof windows and look out over fields of sugar beets....just a beautiful spot, no TV, German or American.  Loved that blissful ignorance of youth, no clue what was going on outside our little bubble.  My wife and I agree that the almost 4 years there (pre-kids) was pretty magical, so Germany will always be special to us....

Enjoy!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Check, check... Synchronize watches, please. In Würzburg I will be on time zone UTC+2, GMT+2, Central European Summer Time. I will always post the Würzburg time.

notamermaid

When it is noon in Würzburg, what time is it Berlin NJ (Eastern Daylight Time)?

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Screenshot as of now, pretending I am in Würzburg, website timeanddate.com:

image.thumb.png.8e00b4b248801bb6b0f936f83db24750.png

It has been a long day of planning, good night. :classic_smile:

notamermaid

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

They are 6h ahead of us. So, 6AM. 

It's now 6PM here so it's midnight there.

👍👍 🙏

Is this the thread that had a prior discussion on trains? 
Here’s an interesting article - “The Soviet spy steam railway that's still running” - https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/harz-railway-germany-cmd/index.html

This photo is the US intercept post on Teufelsberg in Berlin, some 100 miles (as the crow flies) from the Soviet/DDR site mentioned in the article.

F807DA1C-4A55-4239-8FC6-4A6C0D426BB1.thumb.jpeg.7bc030c89bad699d4374af885c29a49d.jpeg

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@Coral Hello!

@acwmom

Hello!

I am using the shop WiFi.

Amazing place, the Residenz. Shop has got great souvenirs.

notamermaid

I've always loved that place.  The Chapel is not to be missed.  Since it is free we go look in the Chapel and then walk the beautiful park.  We've been inside the Residenz many times, so when we visit now just go to the chapel and grounds.  Good restaurant there too.  B Neumann, we sit outside and have Silvaner and anything in season.

I have had a few hiccups with technical stuff today. But now I am  enjoying a croissant 🥐 in the gardens. Look at the fountain next to the Residenz and you can see what I see.

Würzburg is busy but okay. The river and the vineyards look lovely. It I sunny but not too warm.

notamermaid

• Like 1

@notamermaid, sounds as if you are having a great time, the palace looks beautiful.  Hope you are having great weather to enjoy.

Thanks for another spot to add to our bucket list...hopefully we can start travelling soon.

23 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

I've always loved that place.  The Chapel is not to be missed.  Since it is free we go look in the Chapel and then walk the beautiful park.  We've been inside the Residenz many times, so when we visit now just go to the chapel and grounds.  Good restaurant there too.  B Neumann, we sit outside and have Silvaner and anything in season.

The chapel is currently closed. So is the proper restaurant, the beer garden is open. I am afraid, a glass of wine does not work right now.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daisi said:

@notamermaid, sounds as if you are having a great time, the palace looks beautiful.  Hope you are having great weather to enjoy.

Thanks for another spot to add to our bucket list...hopefully we can start travelling soon.

Thanks, Daisi, sorry forgot to call you personally.

notamermaid

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The chapel is currently closed. So is the proper restaurant, the beer garden is open. I am afraid, a glass of wine does not work right now.

notamermaid

Beer and a croissant....sounds like a great combination! Enjoy!!!