Cruising no more support group?

winterbliss

Add me to the list of those who will get the vaccine as soon as it becomes available to me. In almost 26 years in the military, I've had plenty of vaccines that the general public doesn't get (smallpox x2, anthrax x10, etc) with no side effects beyond the normal sore arm. So I've got no problem adding one more to the list in order to get back to cruising and travelling internationally. If the cruise lines make it a requirement for boarding, I'm 100% ok with that. 

• Like 9

On 12/5/2020 at 12:58 PM, Turtles06 said:

You must have been among the last people in the U.S. to get that vaccine (Zostavax). Its sale and use has been discontinued in the U.S. since November, as Shingrix is considered to offer better and longer-lasting protection, to the point that Shingrix is recommended even for people who have had the Zostavax vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/hcp/shingrix/recommendations.html

I definitely got the new Shingrix vaccine. I wasn't told there is a second dose.  How log between doses?

4 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Just something to point out that some folks may not realize. The new vaccine and PCR tests that appear to have come overnight, and make people falsely believe they are not accurate or were "rushed" is simply not true. 

Think about it... this virus is coined Covid-19. Where did that 19 come from? Viruses mutate, they change constantly, which is why we still don't have a vaccine for HIV which sprang up back in the 80's. Pharmaceutical companies and laboratory diagnostic companies had already been working on a Corona virus vaccine and test kit many years prior - there simply wasn't a market for it at that time because those variants didn't prove to be as deadly, so the projects were dropped. (We've been testing for the regular Corona virus family of pathogens for years, now we have to add a disclaimer to those results to tell docs that this doesn't pick up #19, there's a separate test for that one.)

In comes magic mutation #19 and it's a freaking beast. Rather than starting from scratch and having to take 5-8 years of research and development, those scientists used what they had already learned from the first 18 strains and went from there, being able to speed track the final development steps and go into phases 1 & 2 of clinical trials faster than normal. 

I get it, it seems fast and rushed and it's scary, and big pharma makes more money than they probably deserve - but this wasn't concocted overnight in some mad scientist's basement just to earn their CEO enough money to upgrade his yacht and purchase one of these ships that the cruise lines are now trying to sell to stay afloat.

The ideas of letting those low risk folks go back to life as usual and build their herd immunity - yeah, they don't work. Because people are stupid and selfish and young folks think that nothing will happen to them, so they don't follow the rules. Which is why we've tried so hard to go back to opening, and have to keep back tracking because people don't listen. Hence the harsh requirements for isolation, because people just don't listen or just don't care.

I disagree.  Vaccine development has been a 5-year process including 3 years of trials and observation.  This one is seriously rushed.  We didn't skip any steps.. but we sure as heck made them very much shorter.  The real risk here is we have no long term observation. If there are adverse effects over time we don't know yet.

That said, the exchange is worth the risk. The risks for many of us are worse not to have a vaccine than to take a vaccine that is not fully tested yet.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 12:58 PM, Turtles06 said:

You must have been among the last people in the U.S. to get that vaccine (Zostavax). Its sale and use has been discontinued in the U.S. since November, as Shingrix is considered to offer better and longer-lasting protection, to the point that Shingrix is recommended even for people who have had the Zostavax vaccine.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/hcp/shingrix/recommendations.html

I figured it out.  I have a follow-up appointment in January and they must plan to give me the second dose then.

I have no issues with anyone who won't get the COVID vaccine.  Not going to get into anyone's reasoning as it's none of my business.  As long as they aren't in close quarters with the rest of those who have been vaccinated, all's good.

I just read that NCL is installing what sounds like a pretty sophisticated air purification system that includes COVID provisions....

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/nclh-to-install-air-purification-system-on-28-cruise-ships.html

Still...not vaccinated?  No cruise!

• Like 4

On 12/3/2020 at 4:35 PM, tallnthensome said:

In my case, I’ve never gotten sick from the flu vaccine or any other. I also personally am on a biologic. I take a once a month immunosuppressive injection into my stomach and have so for four years without a single side affect. I assure you that this  expensive injection is probably 100 times more risky to my health then the Covid vaccine and it hasn’t had any side effects at all except help me. I laugh at a Covid vaccine shot, give me two right now, and would easily brush off any conspiracy theories associated with it . Just my personal situation ...... 

I came across this post after having a talk with work colleague who is having therapy for MS, my friends understanding is that until population studies have completed, immunosuppressed individuals will only be offered a vaccine shot on a case by case basis in the UK under the regulatory guidance, my friend is on the roll out logistical team for the vaccine and was chatting with some of the medical staff. Do you think the guidance will be different in the US?  

On 12/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, winterbliss said:

Perhaps I'm in such a cruise critic minority that I'll need the aforementioned support group? For the record, I do not live in fear of covid any more than I would fear heart disease or cancer. I would consider any illness or death related to any means devastating. Please don't reply in a disrespectful manner as I would not disrespect you no matter what your view.

If your in a minority it's quite a large one. 

I am pro vaccination but I understand your concerns, I would rather take one of the other vaccines as I think the risks involved with the mRNA vaccines are to high. But with a population study with 20 million volunteers over the next few months I suppose there will be answers.  

We have had problems here in the UK with Doctors over prescribing antibiotics and anti depressants and patients wanting them without looking at alternatives. 

The other big question is after Brexit if we do a trade deal with the US will big pharma muscle into the NHS, most of the NHS is worried about this according to reports. 

Personally I don't think many realise the, practicalities, political ramifications, economics, realities and unforeseen events of such a mass vaccination program. I know I can't.

• Like 1

I am in the healthcare field and will be taking the vaccine as a front line worker.  I am very versed in the science and am not concerned.  There will be symptom initially but that is expected.  My hubby is hesitant but if I fair well he will comply.  Looking forward to a sailing in Sept 2021.

Be Positive - test Negative!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, juju2454 said:

Guessing most don't realize that the vaccine for small pox was created and given in days to the creators 15 month old son.... those old enough to remember have the scar to prove it and the small pox has been eradicated.

What Jenner did was risk the life of somebody's else's child not his own son based upon theories. And he most certainly was not the first to do this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1200696/

On 12/3/2020 at 9:33 AM, All-ready2cruise said:

@winterbliss perhaps we can add a little perspective this whole vaccinate or not vaccinate.  Many years ago I entered nursing training.  Back then, there was a whole list of vaccinations we had to have proof of taking before we could even enter the training.  The list was long but we had to adhere, otherwise, no training and therefore, no work. I realize that it's not the same situation since cruising is leisure and nursing is work, but, think of your background. Are you just against the covid-19 vaccine or all vaccines?

After having taken so many vaccines, I don't see any reason to stop now. 

Here's a list of just some of the vaccines required for nursing:   

Influenza (annual when available) Diphtheria, Typhoid Fever, Measles, Polio, Tetanus (every 10yrs),
Rubella, Pertussis, TwinRix and BCG (TB) etc. 

I am old enough to remember getting a second smallpox vaccination when I entered nursing.

Probably overkill but they made us do it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 10XCruiser said:

I am in the healthcare field and will be taking the vaccine as a front line worker.

First off, thank you for all your work on the front lines.

17 hours ago, 10XCruiser said:

Looking forward to a sailing in Sept 2021

I'm banking on it; I have a cruise booked on the PoA in late Oct 2021.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, juju2454 said:

No it was his own 15 month old child and it wasn't Jenner.   

Have you got a link to this information as all the history books I have read have it down as Edward Jenner and a 6 year old boy not his relation. I know people have tried earlier in history but Edward Jenner was one of the first scientists to record his experiments.

9 hours ago, juju2454 said:

No it was his own 15 month old child and it wasn't Jenner.   

3 hours ago, nomad098 said:

Have you got a link to this information as all the history books I have read have it down as Edward Jenner and a 6 year old boy not his relation. I know people have tried earlier in history but Edward Jenner was one of the first scientists to record his experiments.

The first person vaccinated for smallpox BY Edward Jenner was James Phipps a heathy boy selected by Jenner for his experiment & not a relation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Phipps

James Phipps was not the first to be vaccinated against smallpox and Edward Jenner was not the first to perform the technique but that's immaterial as the comment was about Jenner.
Sorry @juju2454 but your claim Jenner did not do this is incorrect, regardless of what other people did you flamed @nomad098 for comments specifically about Jenner.

Edited by ziggyuk

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 11:14 AM, BirdTravels said:

We welcome a vaccination requirement to cruise. The last thing we want is some anti-vaccine person on our cruise getting sick, cutting the whole cruise short. Like a bad noro. 

My employer has already said that they will make vaccination a condition of employment because, like a ship, shut downs and quarantines affect our productivity. 

I am wondering if a universal card has been developed for those people who get the shots, as a form of proof? If employers, airlines and entertainment will someday require a vaccine to participate, it seems there should be a universal  form of proof and database. I would think there would be an effort to make it difficult to counterfeit the document? Has anyone heard how this will be accomplished?

On 12/23/2020 at 6:47 PM, Biffire said:

I am wondering if a universal card has been developed for those people who get the shots, as a form of proof? If employers, airlines and entertainment will someday require a vaccine to participate, it seems there should be a universal  form of proof and database. I would think there would be an effort to make it difficult to counterfeit the document? Has anyone heard how this will be accomplished?

I wonder about this as many of the elderly do not use smartphones and would need cards vs. an app. I read ticketmaster wanted to use an app to determine if people were and/or vaccinated or tested negative. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 5:41 PM, HowardK said:

I wonder about this as many of the elderly do not use smartphones and would need cards vs. an app. I read ticketmaster wanted to use an app to determine if people were and/or vaccinated or tested negative. 

DH has received his first of 2 and has a card...