Alaska 2022: Grand, Sapphire or Majestic. Which do you prefer?

Cobber76

We’re planning on sailing to Alaska in 2022 and are trying to decide between the Grand, Sapphire or Majestic.  We have previously only been on the Coral Princess, which we loved.   I’m looking for any positives or negatives of each ship.  Thanks for any input!

This question is asked yearly so make sure to search the forum for feedback many have shared. The page for that is here.

But as for suggestions, most prefer smaller ships for Alaska cruising because it provides more optimal opportunities for scenic cruising. This is not to say Majestic would be awful, but that you'll be gazing among larger crowds and there isn't as much unobtrusive deck space (unless you mainly spectate from the pool decks). Among the three, that leaves Grand and Sapphire, and among those two, I think a lot have mentioned they'd choose Sapphire because of its particularly wider promenade deck. When it comes to size, Sapphire and Grand are very similar in size, but have select differences in onboard features, such as yes/no Skywalkers, more/less dining room choices, different restaurants, and also accommodation variations (Grand has window suites on deck 6). I'll let others speak to their choices as well!

Are the itineraries the same? I would choose a cruise with Glacier Bay. 

The Sapphire used to be my favorite ship, but I haven’t been on her in a long time and don’t know the condition. I generally love the big, newer ships and look forward to cruising on the Majestic, but I prefer smaller ships in Alaska. I  would not choose the Grand unless it was free, but there are plenty of people who love it.   So, my choice would probably be the Sapphire. 

If I could get a window suite on the Grand I would take her even though the ship is older.   I also loved the Sapphire when she was in Los Angeles.    Majestic would be my least favorite.   It would also depend on what the itinerary  was.  If you could find an itinerary that visited more than one glacier  I would choose that.  Last time we went to Alaska we could not get to the one glacier due to fog.   

Edited by waltd

7 hours ago, waltd said:

If I could get a window suite on the Grand I would take her even though the ship is older.   I also loved the Sapphire when she was in Los Angeles.    Majestic would be my least favorite.   It would also depend on what the itinerary  was.  If you could find an itinerary that visited more than one glacier  I would choose that.  Last time we went to Alaska we could not get to the one glacier due to fog.   

We might actually be doing a back-to-back cruise, so we'd get a couple trips at Glacier Bay--plus a trip to Hubbard Glacier.  Thanks for the input!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cobber76 said:

We’re planning on sailing to Alaska in 2022 and are trying to decide between the Grand, Sapphire or Majestic.  We have previously only been on the Coral Princess, which we loved.   I’m looking for any positives or negatives of each ship.  We spend a lot of time looking for wildlife and taking photos on our Alaska cruises, so great viewing spots (other than our balcony) would be important to us.  Also, getting close to glaciers would be high on our list.  Dining options and onboard entertainment wouldn't likely sway us towards or against a specific ship.  Thanks for any input!   

UPDATE:  The full 2022 schedules haven't been released yet, but it appears that these three ships all have the same itinerary, but they just leave Vancouver on different days of the week. I would assume the port order and port times are similar, but maybe Princess alters them.  We are considering doing a back-to-back cruise this time--which would give us two trips into Glacier Bay, plus a trip to Hubbard Glacier. 

12 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

This question is asked yearly so make sure to search the forum for feedback many have shared. The page for that is here.

But as for suggestions, most prefer smaller ships for Alaska cruising because it provides more optimal opportunities for scenic cruising. This is not to say Majestic would be awful, but that you'll be gazing among larger crowds and there isn't as much unobtrusive deck space (unless you mainly spectate from the pool decks). Among the three, that leaves Grand and Sapphire, and among those two, I think a lot have mentioned they'd choose Sapphire because of its particularly wider promenade deck. When it comes to size, Sapphire and Grand are very similar in size, but have select differences in onboard features, such as yes/no Skywalkers, more/less dining room choices, different restaurants, and also accommodation variations (Grand has window suites on deck 6). I'll let others speak to their choices as well!

Thanks so much for the link!  I got some valuable information and look forward to delving more into the posts!

Good comments by snoozecroose and KruzPrincess.

Majestic would be my least favorite among the three.

The Sapphire would be my choice.

Grand - refurbished 3/2019

Guests -2600

Length – 949 ft

Sapphire – refurbished 3/2018

Guests – 2670

Length – 952 ft

Majestic - refurbished 12/2018

Guests – 3560

Length – 1082 ft

For us the itinerary is a primary consideration.  Having an additional 1000 guests (Majestic) in port is not for us.  Plus the Majestic does not have a promenade deck like the others ships.  Also, the Majestic was originally configured for the Asia Pacific market.  What changes did they make to the Majestic (during the 2018 refurbishment) to accommodate the North American market? 

We are currently looking an Alaska Cruise Tour for July 2022 with the Sapphire being our choice.

John

With refurbishment, did the Grand or the Sapphire increase the size of their buffets?  We are small eaters but like variety.  We have found that the smaller buffets don't give that option for us.  The Star was a great ship for Alaska but the small buffet options was a "con" for us especially since we were on the ship for 14 days.

4 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

With refurbishment, did the Grand or the Sapphire increase the size of their buffets?  We are small eaters but like variety.  We have found that the smaller buffets don't give that option for us.  The Star was a great ship for Alaska but the small buffet options was a "con" for us especially since we were on the ship for 14 days.

Of the Grand-class ships, only Emerald and Caribbean have retooled/redesigned their buffets. Otherwise, the same small layout is what's there.

4 hours ago, Italy52 said:

They did move things outside of the buffet - on the other side of the walk way on the Sapphire. It does open things up a bit. The Sapphire does have Alfredos and International Cafe. I have been on this ship more than any other Princess ship and I think it is one of the better ships Princess has. Though I am not a huge buffet person.

The buffet is not the same as Emerald and Caribbean Princess.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

They did move things outside of the buffet - on the other side of the walk way on the Sapphire. It does open things up a bit. The Sapphire does have Alfredos and International Cafe. I have been on this ship more than any other Princess ship and I think it is one of the better ships Princess has. Though I am not a huge buffet person.

The buffet is not the same as Emerald and Caribbean Princess.

Coral, thanks for the information, I appreciate it.  The last time we were on the Sapphire was in 2005---wow, how time flies.  Keeping fingers crossed that 2022 will be our year.  How about you???

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Coral, thanks for the information, I appreciate it.  The last time we were on the Sapphire was in 2005---wow, how time flies.  Keeping fingers crossed that 2022 will be our year.  How about you???

I have no clue. Just trying to get through this pandemic with out getting sick. Just finished a really difficult semester.

Getting on a really large ship does not appeal to me right now. Maybe back to river cruising or land trips.

I would not take a Royal class ship for an Alaska cruise.  I have adjusted and do like them, but not for certain itineraries.  The forward viewing area isn't there, whereas the other ships have the walk around promenade.  I like the Grand or Sapphire, was on Sapphire last Fall for a Northern Lights cruise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I have no clue. Just trying to get through this pandemic with out getting sick. Just finished a really difficult semester.

Getting on a really large ship does not appeal to me right now. Maybe back to river cruising or land trips.

Hopefully, 2021 will be better for you and that some day, you will be able to take that wonderful cruise you had planned. 

• Like 1

I believe Sapphire Princess was specifically designed with Alaska cruises in mind.  Sapphire and Diamond were both built in Japan a metre wider than the rest of the Grand class type. This was allegedly to allow a wider Promenade Deck where loungers could be employed.

Regards John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john watson said:

I believe Sapphire Princess was specifically designed with Alaska cruises in mind.  Sapphire and Diamond were both built in Japan a metre wider than the rest of the Grand class type. This was allegedly to allow a wider Promenade Deck where loungers could be employed.

Regards John

Their promenade deck are the best! I have sat on those loungers and watched Alaska go by for hours and hours.

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Their promenade deck are the best! I have sat on those loungers and watched Alaska go by for hours and hours.

Coral, does the Sapphire have any "secret decks" like the Coral Princess?  As I said, it has been so long since we were on her that I can't remember at the moment.

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Coral, does the Sapphire have any "secret decks" like the Coral Princess?  As I said, it has been so long since we were on her that I can't remember at the moment.

No - not like the Coral Princess.

There is a forward deck on Deck 15 (I believe) on top of the bridge. We sailed through a beautiful area in Norway (Geriangerfjord) and  it was not that crowded at all. I don't think many people go out there. Though it doesn't have a secret door.  I have been on her a few times in Alaska and I seem to hang out on Deck 7 a lot. 

I just think she is the better of the Grand Class ships. She was built in Japan - she just seems better built. The Promenade deck is wider with loungers, there is an Alfredos and International Cafe. She never seems crowded. I don't tolerate the Grand class ships where they started adding the extra deck (Crown, Emerald, etc...). I sailed right after she had been refurbished and had a huge tv in my room, etc...

They did improve the buffet by putting (expanding) a portion on the opposite side of the walk way which does help some. That is where they often have the waffles, pancakes, etc... And later in the day the desserts... Though I am not a huge buffet person.... 

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

No - not like the Coral Princess.

There is a forward deck on Deck 15 (I believe) on top of the bridge. We sailed through a beautiful area in Norway (Geriangerfjord) and  it was not that crowded at all. I don't think many people go out there. Though it doesn't have a secret door.  I have been on her a few times in Alaska and I seem to hang out on Deck 7 a lot. 

I just think she is the better of the Grand Class ships. She was built in Japan - she just seems better built. The Promenade deck is wider with loungers, there is an Alfredos and International Cafe. She never seems crowded. I don't tolerate the Grand class ships where they started adding the extra deck (Crown, Emerald, etc...). I sailed right after she had been refurbished and had a huge tv in my room, etc...

They did improve the buffet by putting (expanding) a portion on the opposite side of the walk way which does help some. That is where they often have the waffles, pancakes, etc... And later in the day the desserts... Though I am not a huge buffet person.... 

Thanks again for all your comments, I appreciate them very much. 

Please check out youtube.com

Type in:  “Sapphire Princess cruise ship” and/or “Grand Princess cruise ship”

There you will find several walk-through videos some only one to two years old.

A picture is worth a thousands words.

John

• Thanks 1