If you could have... (food addition)

MeganGC1983

27 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I will be going on my first Carnival cruise in 2022 and am surprised by most everyone's favs -- fast food.  We have always enjoyed eating in the MDR on other lines.  Or is the "fine dining" not up to par?

Not everyone, see my post #2 of this thread. We always find a few entrees we enjoy in the MDR for dinner. 

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I will be going on my first Carnival cruise in 2022 and am surprised by most everyone's favs -- fast food.  We have always enjoyed eating in the MDR on other lines.  Or is the "fine dining" not up to par?

I enjoy a lot in the MDR.  When I posted this, I just really wanted pizza. 😂 I love the desserts in the MDR: creme brûlée, bitter n blanc, grand Marnier soufflé, melting cake, etc. Also enjoy lobster tail, prime rib, most soups, beef tenderloin, sweet and sour shrimp, I could go on and on. 

• Like 3

On 12/11/2020 at 12:12 AM, MeganGC1983 said:

If you could have any food item off a Carnival ship right now, what would you choose?!

My current choice... I would kill for a Quattro Formaggi pizza from Pizza Pirate. 

I don't have the menu memorized but escargot and lobster would top the list. I also wouldn't turn down a Guy's Burger. Of course desert would be warm chocolate melting cake with a side of peanut butter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

IMHO, Carnival has great food. We always eat in the MDR for Dinner & Sea Day Brunch. Depending on the ship, we love Serenity deck salad bar, Deli, Mongolian Wok, Ocean Plaza mini buffet, Cucina, Pig & Anchor BBQ etc.

Enjoy your 1st Carnival.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

As I said in my first response, I don't have the MDR menu memorized so it would be hard to name a particular dish but I would be happy to have anything that appeared on it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

If you look at mine in post 30 it was all steakhouse except for the salad and dessert which were MDR. And they actually do have a version of that salad in the steakhouse. I had a tough time deciding between steakhouse and JiJi's Asian. JiJi's isn't on every ship. It's on the newer ones. But If I were picking for JiJi's I would go with:

Pork Belly

C081D04C-DA64-4B3A-A548-8B4E798954E9.thu

Fried Rice add Shrimp

FAAECEAA-6A4D-4FEA-A727-748857E9F1B0.thu

Short Rib

3E85EEE9-0D58-4A75-841D-EBBFE05E09E7.thu

And the Creme Brulee

36D23539-B92C-4423-949B-E1679F5C1183.thu

If I were going just MDR, I would go with:

I already did my favorite baby spinach salad so I'll go second favorite greek salad.

2B32D26A-37DC-4DB2-B918-E13F257164DF.thu

Crab Cake

B83A7525-ED9B-486F-95A5-DD4B3EA2983E.thu

Lobster, Jumbo Shrimps, Mushroom Risotto, and Broccoli 

124B6838-4317-4F30-9E7F-FB700C54001F.thu

I already did my favorite MDR dessert with Grand Marnier Souffle. My second favorite is Bitter N Blanc.

639B6722-128D-454C-A813-EAF72FBBE992.thu

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mouche said:

There are too many to name, but I fell in love with the 12 hour French Toast and this Chocolate cake they served during brunch. Addictive for sure!!!

1595400349_frenchtoast.thumb.jpg.e77fbc24b0bd05f5d496b24216fa1e10.jpg

So THAT'S what the 12 hour french toast is supposed to look like...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

So THAT'S what the 12 hour french toast is supposed to look like...

It's looks appetizing in that photo! It must have been prepared in a test kitchen ashore under strict supervision and the photo taken by a Madison Avenue advertising agency's top photographer 😉 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

It's looks appetizing in that photo! It must have been prepared in a test kitchen ashore under strict supervision and the photo taken by a Madison Avenue advertising agency's top photographer 😉 

If the one I got was presented that way, they would've realized it was undercooked before sending it out. It didn't look like that at all actually.

Edited by Saint Greg

4 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

I don't think it was presented cut as it appears in the photo. The person who ordered it did that, don't you think?

That one actually looks like French Toast on the top while mine looked more like a.....cake. A plain cake before the put the frosting on it.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

That one actually looks like French Toast on the top while mine looked more like a.....cake.

There was a discussion that said with this method the batter is poured into a deep baking pan, baked, then a sauce is poured over the whole thing and it rests overnight in the refrigerator and then cut into squares and each piece is reheated as needed. This one looks like the photo was taken by a member here who is aware of the controversy over this newer menu item and decided to take a look inside and seeing all looked well decided to take a photo to share with us. That's my story and I'm sticking 🙂 

Edited by sanmarcosman

4 minutes ago, surf kahuna said:

I remember main dining room appetizers that included ingredients of truffles and caviar . Don't forget the free red fruit punch from the buffet that was temporarily discontinued but will return very soon ? That was years ago !

A morning fruit punch is served without food coloring. People who want some for later have been known to take some back to their cabin and put it in the refrigerator.

On 12/17/2020 at 3:44 PM, sanmarcosman said:

A morning fruit punch is served without food coloring. People who want some for later have been known to take some back to their cabin and put it in the refrigerator.

And if you had ordered a bottle of rum from room service, use that fruit punch to make a delish drink!