Oasis Class Balcony Question

VT658768

16 hours ago, sellwingri said:

If you sail out of Cape Liberty, I strongly suggest a port side balcony.  Your view will be the Statue of Liberty and the skyline of Manhattan.

OP was asking about Allure, which does not sail out of Cape Liberty, and cannot get under the bridge.  

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’m sailing on Oasis out of Cape Liberty and since Allure is an Oasis class ship, assumed they could both sail out of the same ports. 

No plans that I know of to have Allure (which is what the OP is asking about) to sail out of Cape Liberty.  

7 hours ago, island lady said:

No plans that I know of to have Allure (which is what the OP is asking about) to sail out of Cape Liberty.  

I was just adding a piece of possibly helpful information!  And it can sail under the bridge if Oasis can.

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

I was just adding a piece of possibly helpful information!  And it can sail under the bridge if Oasis can.

I believe that they did some upgrades to the smokestacks (2 retract and 2 are hinged) on Oasis to enable her to fit under the bridge. I don’t believe they have done the same upgrade to Allure. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I believe that they did some upgrades to the smokestacks (2 retract and 2 are hinged) on Oasis to enable her to fit under the bridge. I don’t believe they have done the same upgrade to Allure. 

Thanks for the info!

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Exactly right.  😉 

On 12/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, island lady said:

OP was asking about a view of the port and which side for Allure.  As many of us have stated, and the OP is now aware of...Oasis class ships mainly dock on the starboard side, which they are designed to do.  He wanted his parents to have dock side view....so starboard it is.  

Thanks for the correction, Island Lady. I'm really not all that familiar w/how Oasis Class ships are designed to dock--starboard side--as you have just advised me. That said, some of the ships I've been on either dock on the port side or the starboard side--wherever the pier was located. In Barcelona, ships dock on the port side so that they head out to sea bow first and no turning was needed. Same thing occasionally happens w/Rome-Civitavecchia: port side docking to head out to sea w/o doing a 360 degree turn. OTOH, for other ports such as Lisbon, Livorno, Naples, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Labadee, San Juan, St. Thomas, Nassau, etc., the ships will dock on the starboard side.

However, I was aboard Reflection a year ago this past August, and the ship had been docked on the port side so that it had do a 360 turn to travel on the Rhine enroute to the first port, Dover, England. Similarly, when the Reflection had docked at the Cobh (Cork), Ireland, pier, guests debarked and re-boarded the ship on the port side, and that side faced the port facility while on station there during her overnight stay. When she weighed anchor for departure the following day, people gathered at the Solarium windows to watch Reflection's departure.

My last cruise, aboard Coral Princess this past February, the ship embarked pax at the San Antonio, Chile, pier on the port side so that we had the opportunity to watch the cargo containers get stacked atop each other by the gantry cranes. By the time we left port, en-route for the Chilean fjords and the sight of the glaciers on the third day out, I was able to see the glacier in the fjord outside my port side cabin on Coral's Deck 10. Did I go outside to see the ice? No, I was in recovery mode from an accident that happened inside the cabin the previous afternoon. As I mentioned in my review of the ship and sailing, that glacier was not as impressive as the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, Alaska. 

I hope you had a nice holiday today, Island Lady. Merry Christmas to you, and Happy Holidays! 

On 12/25/2020 at 5:20 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

I don’t believe they have done the same upgrade to Allure. 

I don't think we've had any RCI acknowledgement nor has anyone been able to confirm definitely that the work was not done. She was in the drydock a lot longer than the min needed for her marine work.

• Like 1