Cunard Needs a Better Alcoholic Beverage Package

jimdee3636

The original post was about drinks packages -- that one would either buy or not buy.  Not all inclusive and included in the fare.  Not to come across rude, but the difference is obvious.

If someone does not take the drinks package, then they pay for their individual drinks, as they always would.

Again -- drinks packages -- not all inclusive.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, njguy_south said:

The original post was about drinks packages -- that one would either buy or not buy.  Not all inclusive and included in the fare.  Not to come across rude, but the difference is obvious.

If someone does not take the drinks package, then they pay for their individual drinks, as they always would.

Again -- drinks packages -- not all inclusive.

So Jimdee's [the original poster] reference, and I quote,  'I also think that for Grills passengers drinking in Grills venues (we weren't; we had a Britannia balcony cabin), there should be an all-inclusive alcohol policy' doesn't allow us to debate the question?

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

So Jimdee's [the original poster] reference, and I quote,  'I also think that for Grills passengers drinking in Grills venues (we weren't; we had a Britannia balcony cabin), there should be an all-inclusive alcohol policy' doesn't allow us to debate the question?

“all inclusive” is a wonderful marketing term —- which, when analyzed, almost always shows a number of exceptions:   the “all” in “all inclusive” really just means what happens to be included by the terms set forth in the brochure which discusses it.

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

“all inclusive” is a wonderful marketing term —- which, when analyzed, almost always shows a number of exceptions:   the “all” in “all inclusive” really just means what happens to be included by the terms set forth in the brochure which discusses it.

15 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Never having looked at the term ‘ all inclusive’ as it holds no interest for us, I’m sure you’re right. However, as the OP introduced the term, I’m sure it OK to chat about it which is what the post you quoted, was in answer to a post which suggested  'we' were going off track.

As if!

38 minutes ago, newjoisey said:

ok enough talk....i wanna know who is buying the first round of drinks 

If we are getting the round in with our drinks packages don't we need 1 card each. This could get messy 🤣. If we ain't got the drink package then it's waters for all! on me! 🤣

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

If we are getting the round in with our drinks packages don't we need 1 card each. This could get messy 🤣. If we ain't got the drink package then it's waters for all! on me! 🤣

ok i got your number lol

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

We just booked Cunard QM2 to the Carribean in November 2021.  Haven't been on the QM2 in 10 years.  We were wondering about the drinks package.  We've been cruising Celebrity for the last few years and always manage to snag a free drinks package.  From what all are saying, a $12.00 limit for drinks and wine wouldn't work for us.  We'll pay separately.  Having my kids "gift" us bottles of wine for the cruise (all I can drink is 1 or 2 glasses a day).  I might get the beverage package because I drink lots of bottled water and seltzer water.  If anyone hears of a better package on Cunard, please post the information.  Bon Voyage

We do enjoy our wine with dinner, a Guinness in the Pub, and a cocktail before dinner.  But we have found that the Cunard drinks package is not a good buy.  If it is offered as a promotion, we happily accept.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tv24 said:

We do enjoy our wine with dinner, a Guinness in the Pub, and a cocktail before dinner.  But we have found that the Cunard drinks package is not a good buy.  If it is offered as a promotion, we happily accept.

Unfortunately it is a promotion that is very rarely available to UK residents.

The $12 limit seems strange with no pay the difference option. Their profits on the high end stuff may not be huge. Cant imagine why else they would do this. Never been on Cunard so if my cruise goes, I will be better able to offer a verdict . It was included in Princess grill. Rate went down but eliminated this perk and a few others so I did not rebook.i looked at a drink and wine by the glass lists and it looked ok. I suppose if I want Laurent Perrier, ill just pay. No champagne by the glass that I could see. Someone said they  will give you a glass of the British sparkling wine, which I like. Won’t drink Pol Acker. 

Can I order a bottle of Laurent Perrier to be in my stateroom when I get there?

42 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I don't have an active booking to verify this, but take a look under "Before you sail", "Gifts" in your voyage personaliser (My Cunard). If you can't find Laurent-Perrier available for purchase there, it is listed in the Cunard Gifts brochure found here.

https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/gifts-and-celebrations-pdfs/Gifts-and-little-luxuries-brochure.pdf

Here are some of the relevant details from that brochure.

Laurent-Perrier La Cuvée     $78

Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Rosé     $95

Prices are quoted in US Dollars. Please note that all pre-ordered wines are subject to a 15% service charge.

Wine, Champagne & Cakes
These items can be delivered either to your stateroom or to the restaurant you are dining in. Please advise your preference when booking.

9 hours ago, oskidunker said:

.. No champagne by the glass that I could see. ..

There has always been the option to order champagne by the glass in every bar on Cunard.

Naturally the choice of champagne by the glass has been smaller than by the bottle but still.

On our last crossing/cruise we did look at the drinks package and whether it would be worth it for us. We always book the wine package for dinner and outside of dinner we will have a couple of drinks in the Commodore Club at 5pm with another post dinner, either in the Royal Court or one of the bars. The problem is I'm not a huge drinker and although Jane would get her money's worth, I'm not sure she'd be too happy with the $12 restrictions, as she would invariably want a more expensive cocktail.

The most attractive option was a drinks package for me and a Soft Drinks package for me, paying for my beer as desired. I can't remember exactly how that stacked up against the wine package and pay as you go drinks, but it was more expensive, though I would havbe drunk more premium soft drinks and mocktails during the day.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:45 PM, oskidunker said:

We carried on a number of bottles of wine - we'd been on a wine tour just before boarding in Sydney. If our planned trip in 2022 happens I'll go to Napa Valley before we board in San Fran! There is no charge if you consume  in your cabin - and even interior cabins have fridges and wine glasses!  We paid to drink some of ours in the MDR US$25 corkage from memory. 

The big downside for us is that the drinks package does not include bottled wine - and they have a huge wine list. We bought some of the cheaper  wines by the bottle  on the recommendation of the wine waiter and they were excellent. 

How many bottles of wine can you bring onboard?  I think it's two.  Just realized that I should do that rather than ordering them.  If I drink them in the room (love to have wine with cheese and crackers, etc. on the balcony), I won't have to pay corkage.  I will just order wine by the glass at dinner.  The water/soda beverage package will work for me.

2 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

How many bottles of wine can you bring onboard?  

Cunard doesn't limit the amount of wine or other alcoholic beverages (including spirits) brought aboard for personal consumption in the cabin. And if  brought to the Dining Room the bottle is subject to a reasonable corkage fee. 

You won't find this policy stated on their site. With some searching, you may find a statement that they reserve the right to limit amounts, and something about "reasonable." Through the years I've not heard of anyone having their beverages confiscated, but I don't think anyone was being unreasonable. 

Of course this could change at any time.

• Like 1

The reasonable attitude of Cunard vs most other lines can result in minor amusement in embarkation. In 2019 we boarded the Queen Elizabeth in Vancouver. There are often two or three ships using the terminal and there is a common security area.

We had two bottles of bubbly in our hand luggage.  When it was detected at security we were instructed to go to a desk to have it inspected and fill out a form with the clerks - as we did with Holland America  a few years before. I could see the desk was operated by another cruise line, so I told the security person we were travelling on Cunard. He said: "Oh, just go right through. They don't care how much you bring on."

• Thanks 1

IMO opinion I wouldnt be surprised to see this allowance in letting you take any amount of alcohol  onboard at embarkation change in the future so they can recap some of the money lost due to the pandemic and to appease the bean counters at Carnival.

Edited by majortom10

It certainly hasn't changed in over 10 years, so no reason to think it will now.

Take as much as you want.

We ALWAYS take at least six bottles of the Widow to our QG suite. Twice, the staff have told us to just bring it along and forget the corkage charge. Otherwise we have it on our balcony.

15 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

It certainly hasn't changed in over 10 years, so no reason to think it will now.

Take as much as you want.

We ALWAYS take at least six bottles of the Widow to our QG suite. Twice, the staff have told us to just bring it along and forget the corkage charge. Otherwise we have it on our balcony.

I agree that they havent changed in the last 10 years or so but I think we should all expect a lot of things to change in the future due to Covid and for Cunard(Carnival) to try and get back some of the money they have lost in the last 18 months or so.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 7:46 AM, MarkBearSF said:

Cunard doesn't limit the amount of wine or other alcoholic beverages (including spirits) brought aboard for personal consumption in the cabin. And if  brought to the Dining Room the bottle is subject to a reasonable corkage fee. 

You won't find this policy stated on their site. With some searching, you may find a statement that they reserve the right to limit amounts, and something about "reasonable." Through the years I've not heard of anyone having their beverages confiscated, but I don't think anyone was being unreasonable. 

Of course this could change at any time.

I couldn't find any definitive information prior to our cruise. Frankly if they were going to limit booze going on a  ship anywhere in the world it would be Australia ! (I  have the passport and frankly we all drink like fish!).  We took the risk based on the advice here and carried on about 6 bottles of wine - openly in a carry bag.   Other passengers were interested (we waited hours to board in Sydney), we made friends in the queue! Cunard wasn't - not an issue at all. 

Australia has rules about "responsible serving of alcohol - you can't serve someone in a bar who is drunk - and if you do the bar and the server faces serious fines. My impression is that Cunard is deliberately vague so that they can confiscate booze if passengers are pre-loading in their cabin and become very drunk. 

The trip we were on was  about 80% Australians and I saw zero cases of  badly drunk people. I also know a number who  got off on our second stop - Brisbane and did some serious bottle store shopping! 

Great info about the Vancouver Port.  We were planning on bringing a couple of bottles of premium spirits for our cabin.  We'll put them in our checked baggage now.

We have traveled in grills our last trip and again in June 2022.  The drink package is included in the fare. 

We find the package excellent.   Never have we paid any extras.   On the last evening of our TA western cruise our sommelier gave us a bottle of prosecco to take to our cabin so at the last breakfast we could bring the bottle to the dining room and he would make our mimosas.  The reason being,  your bills are completed overnight and you can't purchase anything on the last day.  It's limitless what they do for you.