Aurea Suite vs YC Deluxe Suite

westoftheashley

Hi Everyone - 

Hope this hasn't been discussed already and I just missed it with the search function.  I'm new to MSC, but have been on about 20 cruises in total.  We were looking at a cruise on the Divina and trying to figure out what to book.  We found they have what looks like a nice suite available on the front corner of the ship - Cabin 9009.  Then we noticed for about $1500 more, we could book a deluxe suite in the YC.  However, looking at what I can see online, all the "deluxe suites" in the YC look very small compared to the other cabin we found (it looks more like a Mini Suite or premium balcony on other cruise lines).  I'm not directly familiar with YC, but we have done two cruises in the NCL Haven and did really enjoy it.  However, I don't know if it's worth another $1500 and what looks like a much smaller cabin to get YC.  Thoughts?  

We have also cruised many times. Regularly go to Alaska on NCL ships. Sailed  in Haven on Jewel Class ships and the Bliss.

Many  recommendations from Europeans on our last NCL cruise from Sydney Australia to Hong Kong. They “turned” us on to MSC . We sailed MSC March 2019 in YC. Barcelona 7 day . Yes, the cabin is not as big as NCL 2 bedroom suite. About the same as Penthouse suite.  We found Deluxe Suite on Meraviglia fine. Good use of space. 

when not in port, 

we spent most of our time in YC lounge, or pool deck. It was so nice to have great service. Also should mention that in YC, you get access to Thermal Spa. When we had a cold day, I spent afternoon in salt room and sauna. Nice perk for YC . Loved MSC experience .

we  booked another cruise , this time for Iceland. Due to COVID, our cruise in June was cancelled. Already have 2 cruises booked for late this fall, in YC.

now that MSC has caught on in US, prices for YC have gone up . Still worth it to us.     Hope this helps..

11 hours ago, westoftheashley said:

Hi Everyone - 

Hope this hasn't been discussed already and I just missed it with the search function.  I'm new to MSC, but have been on about 20 cruises in total.  We were looking at a cruise on the Divina and trying to figure out what to book.  We found they have what looks like a nice suite available on the front corner of the ship - Cabin 9009.  Then we noticed for about $1500 more, we could book a deluxe suite in the YC.  However, looking at what I can see online, all the "deluxe suites" in the YC look very small compared to the other cabin we found (it looks more like a Mini Suite or premium balcony on other cruise lines).  I'm not directly familiar with YC, but we have done two cruises in the NCL Haven and did really enjoy it.  However, I don't know if it's worth another $1500 and what looks like a much smaller cabin to get YC.  Thoughts?  

I am assuming the $1500 additional cost is not an issue budget wise. On that basis, the question you need to answer is the cabin size more important than the experience. There is no doubt that Aurea experience does not come close to YC and, for us at least, such decision would be an easy one to make.....Yacht Club is the way to go!

• Like 1

The answers you'll get are based on typically what people have done.  If Aurea, they say no.  If YC, they say yes.

NCL has many different suite sizes.  MSC only a few.  MSC overall smaller.  YC IMO better than Haven.

We have sailed in Aurea balcony cabins and Aurea Suites, the Suite on Seaside on the back of the ship was better than the YC Balconies and the Deputy Head of Housekeeping agreed with us, the Suite on Meraviglia had two rooms and a hot tub and was one of the two largest on the front of the ship of those cabins with the curved balconies. The Aurea Balcony cabin on Seaside was identical to the other Balcony cabins interior wise but had a longer balcony with sun loungers and situated at the front sides of the ship on Deck 9.

The Aurea Balcony cabin on Divina was almost Identical to the standard Fantastica cabin on the same deck, Aurea has been downgraded from Premium drink package to Easy which is quite poor if you like cocktails and certain other drinks. You each get an included massage for around 60 minutes and access to the spa all week, YC does not get the massage which we found strange.

Our next MSC booking on Seashore is currently in the YC.

I guess what you choose depends on what kind of holiday/ cruise you want and YC has included drinks to $12 per drink and now has Free wifi.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the Cruise Critic search capabilities have been reduced to threads post 2018 so it can be difficult to find much of the earlier posted information.

I had Divina 9009 booked but was able to move to 10007 right above.  My earlier research here on Cruise Critic showed that while 9009 is slightly larger it has a much smaller balcony and somewhat obstructed view caused by the bow of the ship.  I became fond of the larger cabins on NCL, frequently sailing in a suite or the Haven and picked this Aurea suite more for the space and view than for the Aurea perks.  I've also sailed MSC both in regular cabins and the YC several times.

The slightly smaller size of the MSC YC Deluxe cabins was not a problem at all, in fact I've found the YC interiors quite acceptable based on their respective ship's perks and the YC commons area they offer.  I like the YC on the newer ships but on Divina, while it's nice, I really have not been able to justify the cost of it for what you get.  The YC staff I've met on Divina were always up to MSC's high service standard, and that is probably the one area Divina's YC excels.  The issue I have is compared to the newer ships I feel the Divina YC facilities and the YC perks offered around the ship bring it down, particularly the remote YC restaurant, lack of food offerings on the One Pool deck and the lackluster thermal spa.

Similarly I would not again sail Divina in Aurea.  Definitely not an Aurea balcony and while our forward suite's layout was a great my negative view is again based on my perceived value for the money, and it's doubtful I would consider one again.  It used to be the Aurea beverage package (I sailed with the Deluxe package) justified much of the additional cost, that's no longer true with the inclusion of the Easy package.  Aurea on Divina suffers from the same diminutive thermal spa.  MyChoice dining is often a line of two top tables crowded two inches apart.  The two massages are easy to monetize but several of the other Aurea benefits are often superfluous since available through status matching to (or earning) a higher level in Voyager's Club.  Additionally I was not impressed with the condition of the Divina Aurea suite, perhaps her recent refurbishment addressed some of this and also some of the overall ship's common areas. 

I have no problem spending more money for a nicer cabin and the better experience but it's based on my particular preferences for that vacation.  On Divina I overall favored our sailings in a Fantastica balcony.  Unless your cruise is for a special occasion, a special itinerary where the YC or Aurea suite forward views are beneficial, or you just want the level of service the YC offers I suggest you consider a regular balcony.  Particularly if you can get an aft facing one.  You can read further details of the sailings I mentioned in the Cruise Critic reviews found in my signature.

• Like 1

We sailed in YC on Belissima and just loved it.  I cannot say that I would have been happy on MSC in a regular cabin.  If sailing MSC, I would want YC.  The lounge was quiet and relaxing and several nights had a string trio or quartet playing.  We haven't made the US experience with MSC yet, as our sailings were cancelled due to CoVID.  But, I felt that YC gave us what we were looking for.....which was an area away from the hub-bub, with elegant dining and entertainment.  They did try to spoil us with the elevator access....usually I only take the stairs on cruises, so I didn't loose the usual 5 lbs (even though I eat incredible food!)

1 hour ago, sidari said:

We have sailed in Aurea balcony cabins and Aurea Suites, the Suite on Seaside on the back of the ship was better than the YC Balconies and the Deputy Head of Housekeeping agreed with us, the Suite on Meraviglia had two rooms and a hot tub and was one of the two largest on the front of the ship of those cabins with the curved balconies. The Aurea Balcony cabin on Seaside was identical to the other Balcony cabins interior wise but had a longer balcony with sun loungers and situated at the front sides of the ship on Deck 9.

The Aurea Balcony cabin on Divina was almost Identical to the standard Fantastica cabin on the same deck, Aurea has been downgraded from Premium drink package to Easy which is quite poor if you like cocktails and certain other drinks. You each get an included massage for around 60 minutes and access to the spa all week, YC does not get the massage which we found strange.

Our next MSC booking on Seashore is currently in the YC.

I guess what you choose depends on what kind of holiday/ cruise you want and YC has included drinks to $12 per drink and now has Free wifi.

All of that hits the nail on the head for me, it depends on what is most valuable....is it cabin, or is it the experience? For us, the YC experience gives far more value and the cabin matters less. Indeed, we had one YC in an inside cabin, and would not hesitate to do so again because everything that YC offers is the same no matter cabin type....with a very small number of low value (for us) additions for the Royal Suite, which is waaaaaay more expensive.

• Like 1

Hi Westof,

If you are looking for a larger cabin/suite and the YC experience on Divina I would suggest 12001 or 12003.  These are 2 room suites with more space than the Royal Suites.  They have great bathrooms with jacuzzi tub, double vanity and big separate shower.  While these suites are on the 12th deck they are still Yacht Club cabins.  The only drawback...there is no balcony.  The floor to ceiling windows overlook the bow of the ship.  IMO this more than makes up for the lack of a balcony.  The view was Mesmerizing.  We loved 12001 and had fantastic service from the entire staff.  We loved having the 2 separate rooms with walk-in closet and makeup area.  I would take this over a regular YC suite anytime.  You will only find 12001 on the Fantasia Class ships.  We preferred 12001 over 12003 since that suite has a connecting door to the middle suite 12002.  We were not bothered by the long walk to the restaurant...we needed the exercise.  We found the Divina YC experience to be outstanding in every way.