Sad News on Cancellations - yes I will be rebooking

Linda the Book Lover

MSC CRUISES EXTENDS TEMPORARY PAUSE OF US-SAILINGS THROUGH TO AND INCLUDING MARCH 31, 2021

January 11, 2021

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (January 11, 2021) - MSC Cruises announced today a further extension of the temporary pause of its US-based sailings through to and including March 31, 2021. 

The decision will affect the schedules of four ships based in Florida: MSC Seaside and MSC Divina scheduled to sail from Port Canaveral, and MSC Meraviglia and MSC Armonia scheduled to sail from PortMiami.

Guests paid in full and booked through MSC Cruises USA or affiliated US-based travel advisors on the impacted sailings will be offered a 125 percent future cruise credit (FCC) of the original cruise fare where they have the opportunity to transfer the full amount paid for their cancelled cruise to a future cruise of their choice — on any ship, and any itinerary — through April 30, 2022, or can request a refund. 

The 125% FCC provides guests with opportunities to upgrade their stateroom category and add pre-purchases such as specialty dining, beverage packages, Wi-Fi, or spa treatments to their booking.

https://cruisereport.com/cruise-industry-news/msc-pause-extended?fbclid=IwAR1QletrUIv1rRHmXg9URkBAqQfjQJcrdOGPcmzT2VpU7SfwUj95WkAFt_o

• Like 1

Even though expecting this, am sad for everyone else all over again. Didn't have anything booked in March but do have April booked, oh dear. I had a February cruise booked and have to wait until January 31 when apparently my FCC at 125% will show up. I hope to use some of that for the September cruise I have booked. Onward we go!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cellfree said:

Even though expecting this, am sad for everyone else all over again. Didn't have anything booked in March but do have April booked, oh dear. I had a February cruise booked and have to wait until January 31 when apparently my FCC at 125% will show up. I hope to use some of that for the September cruise I have booked. Onward we go!

Yep, I have three other cruises in 2021 (a banner birthday year for me). If they cancel I will just rebook and thank the Lord I am still alive and kicking. 

Oh yes, we too are blessed to be healthy. And we will keep rebooking, using up all the FCCs. What would be more convenient would be making the FCC available sooner than  later. I like to research and book when I find something and would appreciate if my FCC was more easily accessible. I realize each cruise company handles cancellations differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

Oh yes, we too are blessed to be healthy. And we will keep rebooking, using up all the FCCs. What would be more convenient would be making the FCC available sooner than  later. I like to research and book when I find something and would appreciate if my FCC was more easily accessible. I realize each cruise company handles cancellations differently.

We have the airlines to do credit again and the hotel the easiest just to cancel.

52 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

When it gets here, World Europa (or whatever it will be called)...

1497312203314.jpg

I know this ship is going to be great. We have to select a ship departing on or before April 30, 2022 and booked by December 31, 2021, so I am not sure this ship will be ready. I have my eye on the Seashore, especially since this ship will have many features. 

I guess this means that my April cruises are still on, and also means I'll need to make final payment in a couple of weeks.  Of course, once I do that, they'll be cancelled. 

That would make 8 cancellations (3 Carnival, 3 HAL, 2 MSC), one Lift & Shift on X, and one NCL TA I cancelled weeks ago.

I'll probably do what I've done on all the others - take the FCCs and re-book.  Besides the B2B in April, I also have 4 Carnival, 1 HAL, the X L&S, and 2 NCLs booked from October 2021 thru May 2023.

Fingers crossed that I'll be vaccinated and the April sailings will happen.  Of course, no idea whether that 4+7 B2B will even be allowed even if they sail (probably not).

NC ... As other cruise lines have cancelled into mid May and beyond I doubt anything will move in April, we have decided not to book anything else due to the slight of hand of waiting for final payment dates and then cancelling cruises knowing full well beforehand that the cruises will be cancelled.

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

I guess this means that my April cruises are still on, and also means I'll need to make final payment in a couple of weeks.  Of course, once I do that, they'll be cancelled. 

That would make 8 cancellations (3 Carnival, 3 HAL, 2 MSC), one Lift & Shift on X, and one NCL TA I cancelled weeks ago.

I'll probably do what I've done on all the others - take the FCCs and re-book.  Besides the B2B in April, I also have 4 Carnival, 1 HAL, the X L&S, and 2 NCLs booked from October 2021 thru May 2023.

Fingers crossed that I'll be vaccinated and the April sailings will happen.  Of course, no idea whether that 4+7 B2B will even be allowed even if they sail (probably not).

Wow 8 cuises! I have to admit I am enjoying planning the rebooking as much as the regular booking. Not that I did not feel disappointed. The other bookings I had were with the adult children planning and they took care of rebooking. Only Carnival was an issue and after much conversation and supervisors it was finally all taken care of. Whew, pleased to be a mom with children who say don't worry and a husband who said, just rebook ours. 

The cancellation update is now on the MSC US agent site.  It's dated Jan 5th but was updated on Jan 11th.

2026806935_Jan11cancellations.thumb.jpg.882842adf48dd86bee65151c81da1ef0.jpg

ETA: US cruises now officially cancelled for over one year.

Edited by Até

I know there are plenty out there who believe continuing to put their money down as deposits is not wise, fearing the lines could go bankrupt or, at a minimum, their FCCs will become null and void.

My thinking is that once cruising is back on, the pent-up demand will cause prices to skyrocket (both simply because of supply & demand pressures and because the lines will want to get that income stream as high as possible as quickly as possible).  So, I'm willing to take my chances and rebook to lock in fares before the prices jump.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

I know there are plenty out there who believe continuing to put their money down as deposits is not wise, fearing the lines could go bankrupt or, at a minimum, their FCCs will become null and void.

My thinking is that once cruising is back on, the pent-up demand will cause prices to skyrocket (both simply because of supply & demand pressures and because the lines will want to get that income stream as high as possible as quickly as possible).  So, I'm willing to take my chances and rebook to lock in fares before the prices jump.

I have to agree with you which is why we keep rebooking. Luckily we have been able to just move our insurance over to the new cruises. 

• Like 1

On the contrary, now is the time to book cruises AND invest in CCL, NCL and RCL.  I also continue to book with my previously paid in full cancelled cruise.  I intentionally paid in full to get more 125% cruise credit.  April 10th, May 8th, July 3rd, August 14th cruises on the horizon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geobugs said:

On the contrary, now is the time to book cruises AND invest in CCL, NCL and RCL.  I also continue to book with my previously paid in full cancelled cruise.  I intentionally paid in full to get more 125% cruise credit.  April 10th, May 8th, July 3rd, August 14th cruises on the horizon.

Agreed we own stock in CCL and NCL. Cruising will be back!

• Like 1

Yeah, finally a thread is that positive, we too continue to rebook, have always had great experiences on MSC ships, have sailed Armonia and Divina and Meraviglia and Seaside, (had Grandiosa booked out of Barcelona but cancelled), agree with all those who say once cruises are on the way again demand is going to be greater than ever especially if there are limited sailings, let's just get on a ship, love the anticipation.

• Like 1